Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving stick for about 3 weeks now, and I think I got it down pretty good. I have one question though. Is it safe to take it out of gear,(Into neatral play field) without the clutch disengaged. A guy I work with was telling me about pre setting the shifter, but I really dont wanna mess with my brand new car... anyone know about this?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Do you mean while your still coasting or what? Theres a sweet spot in the load/noload of the engines torque. Really dont know a better way to say that, lol. Basically, if you feel tension weather youre giving it slight gas or youre just letting off the gas, its not good for the trans, but that sweet spot just in between those two, it wont hurt a thing. Best to just use your clutch though.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Agreed ^^^ Its better to just use the clutch , at least till you get really smooth ( takes years ). We used to call it "floating", its similar to a rollercoaster hill, that moment you aren't going up or down. That's when you can shift without the clutch, but if you get it wrong it can wear parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts