Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do I know if my MTX-75 is out of fluid? Other than lifting the car... Is there an idiot light? When I shift, it is REALLY catchy. I have had the gasket leaking since I bought it, had the fluid changed with ford honey about 18 months ago, and not sure if it has completely drained yet. No oil spots on garage floor, so I am not sure what is going on.

Side note, is it easy to change that gasket? It looks like it connects the bellhousing to the tranny itself. Or maybe its on the far driver's side... Cant remember, dang it. Or at least in that area. If you know what I am talking about, please chime it and tell me what that gasket is called. I think its a fairly common problem with the MTX, so I am sure there are a few experts out there.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
You just have to pull the side fill plug and see what you have in there. My pinky finger fits in the hole to check to see if the fluid level is close to the top.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never mind. Took it to oil can henreys and a freind of mine checked it out, and it seems to not have lost any fluid. Which is wierd, since the tranny is COVERED in oil and sludge. Maybe its just some oil that got spilt when the old owner changed teh oil, and probably missed the whole. I thought it was a tranny gasket, but apperently it isnt leaking. Not sure whats going on, but I am happy about it.
I just need to get underneath it with a can of starting fluid and clean it off.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yeah I thought the same thing on my car, what it was, was the oil dripping down from a leaky valve cover gasket, and coolant residue

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I think I would use something other than starting fluid. Brake clean or degreaser would probably be safer than starting fluid.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake cleaner is ether. Has some other stuff in it too, but it is still technically ether.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts