Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommended places to purchase n MTX-75 manual trans(used or rebuilt)?

I am going to be replacing the clutch/flywheel on my brothers 2000 Focus ZX3 (Zetec) in the near future, and figure might as well replace the trans because:

1) 3rd gear grinds (hear this is common)
2) Trans case near clutch has a hole in it (metal fork was sticking up from ground in a construction parking lot and it caught on the trans)
3) Difficulty shifting into 1st/reverse (not the cables, already inspected/adjusted them).

·
Registered
12 Posts
first off all where was your brother driving ???????????? the Baja desert ??????????? to break the bellhousing he must have driven on a big pothole....

you can get an MTX-75from any salvage yard

get a getrag from the SVT version they are designed for the same engine (Zetec) it has 6 speed and they are very very reliable, maybe you would need the axles

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
you would need a LOT more than just axles. clutch, flywheel, axle mount, cables, just to name a few parts.

I have an mtx75 available but I need to fix it.

chances are the 1st/reverse issue is a common problem with the selector. there is a bolt or a roll pin that comes loose and renders the selector useless. this is what i need to fix.

youll probly pay 400-600 for a tranny from the 'yard

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
anybody know if i can put a Focus selector on a Contour MTX-75?

i mean the only difference should be the bellhousing and the way the shift tower works.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
900 from the dealer brand spankin new. i got one used for 300, and install wasn't too bad either!!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I just got a tranny is cost about 300 bucks but we cracked it open and looked on the inside to make sure eveything was good looking and it was. It had 60k mi on it and it shifts so good compared to the old one. 2nd to 3rd practically does it by itself lol. So there is a pin that falls out and makes shifting into 1st and reverse hard hmmm interesting cause the new one does that too but not alot. Other than that is shifts uber great.

Oh and welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff] there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
if the pin falls out you lose all gears. I should know, after doing mtx swap, having to tear it back down, and finding out that the pin was gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts