Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dude probably not. Different block so would probably be different bolt pattern and everything. With GM things are a little more standard. Not Ford, not yet at least

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well, both Zetec and SPI use the same automatic transmission, so there has to be some similarities. I know one guy in particular who did the swap, but unfortunately, I haven't seen him on the boards in a long time or I would ask him what needed done.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I really want to know this also, because I'm going to be doing a manual swap
and if the MTX-75 works, even with a little extra work, then that's what I'll go with.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I guess you could go to FJ and try to PM or email "Gigaherz."

Super cool guy. He has helped me with damn-near everything I've done on my car! Some of you may remember him because he is the one that's been working on a turbo setup for YEARS now...when it's done, it'll be a monster -- that is, if it isn't done already.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The answer is "NO", you would have to swap the engine too...

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
If I'm not mistaken its the bellhousing thats different, do a quick search in swap section, and you'll get your definite answer.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The answer is "NO", you would have to swap the engine too...
Seriously? Do you guy's just make this stuff up as you go along? Do you have any evidence to back up your answer?

eh! stop giving out wrong info people! If you dont know, then dont give advice.

The Zetec and SPI & 1.9 have the same bell housing. (many other ford blocks do to, 1.6 CVH, both tempo 2.3 and OHV 2.3, and Valcan 3.0 and I'm sure there's more)
Tin_maddong is right, auto is the same damn tranny!
Gigaherz did the swap to a MTX-75, he did a few other things to at the same time to, but IIRC the tranny swap was straight forward.

The only problems you'd come across is: If you need to use the Zetec flywheel, it uses larger hardware then the CVH, you'd have to find some shims/bushings for the CVH flywheel bolts.
And I dont know if the focus SPI halfshaft mounting on the block is the same as the Zetec.
Axles and spindals should not be a problem.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Typo or not, that's funny. Ironic actually, because my dong is mad and made of tin.

:D
Sorry about that, that was a typo. I was to distracted by all the faulse info being flung around the thread.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
IIRC, they are shorter...

I'm sure Jeff will be able to give definite info, though.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation, not sure where I picked it up, but at least I learned something from this thread.
Maybe I got it from all the previous threads of trying to swap a MTX-75 into an auto SPI? Don't remember now...

·
Registered
818 Posts
What is the advantage of this, does the MTX have shorter/longer gears?
The main advantage is the MTX75 is stronger then the IB5. Plus it opens the door for more parts to choose from like LSD and clutches.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The bellhousing is different even though they use the same 4F27E auto. They are a different trans. The MTX wont bolt up and an adaptor plate would be super expensive also.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The bellhousing is different even though they use the same 4F27E auto. They are a different trans. The MTX wont bolt up and an adaptor plate would be super expensive also.
What part of "The SPI and Zetec have the same bell housing pattern" dont you understand?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Maybe he checked the microfiche...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts