Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I picked up a 2002 ZX3 3dr 2.0l Zetec with the 5speed about a month ago and finally have it road worthy. It has a 159k on it and seems to be in overall great condition after getting timing belt and a few other things done that the previous owner neglected. My questions are, how reliable are these transmissions with this milage? What are common issues to keep an eye out for? What are some preventive maintenance procedures for longevity and how easy is it to locate parts for repair if something does decide to go on it? I've really fallen for these little foci(2nd one so far) but I'm still relatively inexperienced with them so any and all advice or insight is appreciated馃榿馃榿

Registered
They're very reliable transmissions. I would definitely change the trans oil and use XT-M5-QS trans fluid from Motorcraft.

FF Affiliate
I have found Mobile 15-50 full Syn engine oil to work very good in the MTX-75

The MTX-75 is as close to bullet proof as you can get with a FWD MTX

Tom

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the info very much. I appreciate it. Was hoping I didnt end up with a slush box. Going to do the clutch soon because I have no clue when it was done last and fell out of contact with previous owner. Clutch still feels good, Gears feel great and it pulls pretty well for being a 17yr old car. No slips yet so just waiting on early warning signs to hop on it

Registered
Reliability

O.G ZX3,

The MTX in my 2000 Focus lasted till just over 250K and the clutch grenaded with no warning. It would advisable to do the clutch now and avoid that issue. Good luck.

v/r,

2003FordFocusZX3

Registered
Transmission is 'reliable' but it's less bulletproof in the Focus than it was in the older cars (contour, cougar, etc). Most owners are familiar with that 2-3 shift grind at higher RPM...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts