Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's around -40 here right now and its taking a ton of effort to shift with my MTX-75. Any ideas to fix it?

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Mine does that every morning on the way to school...and it's usually only in the teen's to twenty's. Let it warm up and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's around -40 here right now and its taking a ton of effort to shift with my MTX-75. Any ideas to fix it?
Do you have an engine block heater. I would hope so at -40.

You might want to look into tranny fluid that will perform better at those kinds of temps. I can't imagine shifting with a frozen tranny is good for longevity. This may be a case where using fluid that might normally be bad (not as good) for the transmission could actually be beneficial. I would start with just seeing if a good warm up of the engine helps however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got the same problem. Shifts great in any weather warmer than -15 C, but any lower and it's brutal 'til it warms up.
I am even running Redline oil in the gear box, which helps, but doesn't cure the problem.
I'm thinking of trying a battery heater wrapped around the gear box... could work!

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
^^ that might be a good idea. i have the same problem. what i do is let it warm up for 20 min or so but its been -30 and colder for like 3-4 weeks

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
I've got the same problem. Shifts great in any weather warmer than -15 C, but any lower and it's brutal 'til it warms up.
I am even running Redline oil in the gear box, which helps, but doesn't cure the problem.
I'm thinking of trying a battery heater wrapped around the gear box... could work!
Holy crap! -15 C!!! where do you live at? Moscow?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
IMHO >> Tranny Fluid. If you had your car in for service and they replaced the fluid, they prob put the wrong stuff in. Even at -40F, it may be a tad stiff when cold, but should greatly loosen up within a few miles. But the wrong fluid will darn near prevent shifting until its (the oil) is fully warm. (Yes I had this happen to me. At least the oil change place fessed up to there credit).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a problem last winter where the shifter was stuck wouldn't move. I had to give a good hit to the side and it worked fine. Haven't had that problem this winter and it was -7 F last night

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
-15°C = 5°F
-53°C = -63.4°F (Brrrr!)

Your conversion lesson for the day.
I know conversions, as a matter of fact I'm more used to the metric system. I just thought that those types of temperatures where only like in Antartica or something.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know conversions, as a matter of fact I'm more used to the metric system. I just thought that those types of temperatures where only like in Antartica or something.
Why don't you try looking up Saskatoon on a map. It's pretty comparable to Antarctica. I stopped complaining about how cold it gets here in New York when I started working with a guy from Saskatoon. It still blows my m ind how cold it is up there!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a problem last winter where the shifter was stuck wouldn't move. I had to give a good hit to the side and it worked fine. Haven't had that problem this winter and it was -7 F last night
-7 is nothing though hahaha compared to what we're going through. And i'm sorry for ya man, -60's are very very rough, we're on our way down to that now. It's hitting that at night, it was -55 in the day yesterday. Idk what to do though, I guess maybe tranny fluid would work, I'll see if i can give it a shot. Gotta find a garage thats open to work in haha

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Why don't you try looking up Saskatoon on a map. It's pretty comparable to Antarctica. I stopped complaining about how cold it gets here in New York when I started working with a guy from Saskatoon. It still blows my m ind how cold it is up there!!

Holy crap. Thank God I live in California, I don't know what would I do in places like those.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I know Ford tests to -40F. -60F an your on 'another planet'. I have watched fuel oil separate at ~-50F. Hmmm. I was going to suggest a tape heater but there is to much mass for that to work. The engine block heaters are in the same boat. There really only good for about -25. There is a 'high wattage' block heater, but they have to be mounted in the return water hose, hence mounting them can be challenging and expensive. Is your Focus garaged?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I saw some kind of story about the Antarctic years ago relating temp to the mechanical stuff... mind you I'm trying to recall this off the top of my head, so don't quote me... temps in F.

-20 - If the engine is running don't turn it off.
-30 - If it's off you need a fire under the oil pan start it (I assume a diesel fuel fire in a bin?)
-40 - Pot metal (think cheap-a** door handles) breaks.
-50 - Rubber tires break.
-60 - When they step outside with a coffee cup full of boiling water, throw the water in the air, and watch it explode as it freezes...

I don't mind the cold too much, but that you can have!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It hit -80F in Grand Forks ND one year when I still lived there. The oil delivery truck showed up. The driver was wearing a space suit (well it looked like one). The truck had a big V8 (no surprise there) but it was wrapped in a blanket with the exhaust manifolds UNDER the blanket, and the radiator had been bypassed. Darn near nothin moved for 3 days until a heat wave took us up to -30. Felt like Florida! [woot]

·
Registered
672 Posts
My tranny balks on initially putting it in gear (0-10 degrees) I've learned to leave it in the gear I'm going to use when i first leave in the am. Not an answer, but it you get going, the fluid will warm up some.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts