Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be needing/wanting to get my MTX75 rebuilt as my rings are not what they should be.

I have a family member that can do rebuilds but want to know if there is a different/better transmission that would go in my 05 ZX3 or if there are any improvements that can be made.

Not exactly trans but I did just put a basic clutch kit in. I know there are performance parts in this area.

Seen on here in another thread the possibility of a 6 speed.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The MTX-75 is a really good transmission. Especially with a 4.06 gear and an LSD in it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you could expand a little on what it is you mean here.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nvm Googled it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I googled it and cannot find any vendor selling the 4.06 because I would love to buy it for myself!
I will probably be getting a chevy Colorado here soon as a my main vehicle as I fix on my focus. Ill be pulling my transmission and take it to my family member with the shop n be asking them to put the 4.06 in it.

Did some more googling and found some references for the parts needed to have 4.06 on the fordparts and fordracing websites. also seen talk about 4.06 being final drive gear or what ever. Can change the other gears as well. Guess ill have to talk to the shop n have them do what they know is best when they rebuild it for me. Didnt know that the lsd would be inside the trans so I best have it before hand when I take it to them.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
1turbofocus and iminhell know boatloads about transmissions.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I don't know shit about transmissions. Box of gears is about all I know, besides the Focus having shitty ratios.

Terry Haines is the guy to talk with.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully mr Haines sees this post.

This mod/upgrade will be a while down the road.

Have to get a new main vehicle first. :-/

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
He won't. He's not much of an internet guy, especially during race season.

You'll have to contact him --> [email protected]

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I don't know shit about transmissions. Box of gears is about all I know, besides the Focus having shitty ratios.

Terry Haines is the guy to talk with.
I have overestimated you LOL

I musta been thinking that you were someone else...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna get a 6-speed Getrag 285 Manual (ST170) while driving my new car as ill be changing up my ZX3.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You changing engines as well?

AFAIK that'll only bolt up to the zetec, haven't seen anyone try to adapt it otherwise.

Throw away trannies, no replacement parts avail. for the Getrags out of the SVT's.

Differential change isn't difficult on the MTX-75 when it's out BTW, that covers the major weak point prevention on them when you go to an LSD.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am switching engines from D20 to a D25 but didn't know that was zetec exclusive. >_< I really wanted to try to 6speed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Umm. So the MTX75 in a Contour has a diff final drive gear then the MTX75 in a Focus?
Idk what that means in relation to the 5/6-speed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only relate to the first part of the thread title, "improvements to MtX-75" - IF that gear would be preferred for the purpose.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oohh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts