Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started noticing that 3rd gear grinds upshifting anywhere over 4500 rpm and the grind gets worse the higher up the rpms are. The car does not grind when downshifting into 3rd regardless of how aggressive of a downshift, just when upshifting. Car is a 2011 with 62k miles. I changed the gear oil to Redline MT-90 roughly a week ago now and have noticed little to no change. What are the odds that it's the synchro?

·
Registered
64 Posts
MTX 75 - Sounds like 3rd gear synchro and there is a lot on this website about it. Need to inspect the shift cables, tans mount, and if you don’t find a problem, ultimately the transmission. I had similar symptoms grinding in 3rd gear (at even lower rpm) and it was worn 3rd synchro and gear. Mine had a lot of miles so decided to replace with a kit that included all synchros, bearings, snap rings, etc. plus third gear, clutch and slave (excluding flywheel, including parts I have no idea the name of). This was above my skillset but luckily I had experienced help and all turned out well. Still, it was a tough job and would never do this at home again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. After bringing it to well known transmission shop in my area they said the issue was simply the clutch wearing down and it needing replacement soon. They said the stock clutch is thin and typically last 80k miles and my cars around 63k. Im glad its not a synchro issue considering the clutch was something i was already planning to replace. Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
You’ll feel slipping when the clutch is starting to go bad. Grinding or crunching in 3rd could be a sybchro but you would need to open the transmission to be certain. Since your grinding does not sound too bad, you should be able to get a lot of miles out of the transmission if you drive it easy and avoid going into 3rd at higher RPM. Clutch can last longer too if you drive it easy. If you eventually replace the clutch, have them inspect the gearbox and consider replacing the rear main seal (I wish I had done that...).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts