Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, I picked up some of the above mentioned in the title (ford owner/part guy at local shop) Highly recommened this stuff over what I was going to buy syncromax for my getrag.

Now however, I am having 2nd thoughts as I want to go with what I was going to have in the first place. My question is does anyone have feedback on this transmission fluid?

The weight for it is 70W80 versus the honey that is 75W90 and syncromax is who knows what...

If anyone has a answer for me ASAP that would be great before I wrap my header as it's a fair amount of distance to the next shop for the correct fluid

·
Registered
26 Posts
Redline MT-90 is 75w90.

To answer your question, the MTL is great stuff. I used in both the E30 M3s I had and it's in my B13 SE-R right now.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The Getrag was not designed for a heavy weight gear oil like that.
The factory fill is bascially a fully synthetic ATF fluid...much lighter weight.
Factory Spec:
Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid/Motorcraft MERCON V ATF.

I'd stick with the Royal Purple Synchromax, as that's specifically what it's meant for.
^^^Meaning, it's meant for manul transmissions that specify an ATF.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Getrag was not designed for a heavy weight gear oil like that.
The factory fill is bascially a fully synthetic ATF fluid...much lighter weight.
Factory Spec:
Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid/Motorcraft MERCON V ATF.

I'd stick with the Royal Purple Synchromax, as that's specifically what it's meant for.
^^^Meaning, it's meant for manul transmissions that specify an ATF.
They are both the same Weight Oil, Mtl & synchromax. I have them both in the garage... I prefer Synchromax myself, But I run RP in everything I own + Drive.

Jason

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah, the recommended weight when I changed my tranny fluid was Amsoil 0w40 european car formula, so I wouldn't use a thick lubricant either, our trannys can be finicky as it is

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys going to exchange it and never listen the parts guy again... Seriously, my gut was like hmmm... I don't think this is the correct stuff for my car however, he called the another dealer (not mine) and asked them.. so, that had me believe but, you know when your gut is going you better listen

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Redline products are great. I think you will have better luck with the Redline D4 auto trans fluid. I personally have used this before and am thinking about switching from the Syncromax. The RP really hasn't impressed me the way I expected but you won't go wrong with either.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Syncromax is NOT that heavy weight gear oil, it atx fluid. Royal Purple makes a gear oil and its not called syncromax. If you put gear oil in your getrag, or any mtx that Ford has right now, you WILL burn it up. If you dont believe me , put gear oil in your trans, then save your money for a new trans.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Syncromax is NOT that heavy weight gear oil, it atx fluid. Royal Purple makes a gear oil and its not called syncromax. If you put gear oil in your getrag, or any mtx that Ford has right now, you WILL burn it up. If you dont believe me , put gear oil in your trans, then save your money for a new trans.

that's why I am not putting gear oil in however, its not going to burn up its not dealing with the same things our pistons and piston cylinders are dealing with. Gear oil doesn't burn up

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well Considering Redline MTL (Manual Transaxle Lubricant) meets the identical criteria specified by Synchromax (Royal Purple) and the stock ford lube, you cant go wrong either way.. I still Prefer "Synchromax".

If you do some research you will also find gear weight oil is rated different then standard oil so its not as "Thick" as you think it is.. I run Gear Lube in my probe gt Tranny and have never had ANY issues, and all the gears except for the dif can be swapped with a mtx75... So i must assume the same performance can be expected, and thats a current tranny.

Anyhow Good luck.

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Somebody better tell all those Mini guys running MTL their Getrag days are numbered. All those guys that dumped their factory fill back in 2002 need to buy some lottery tickets.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
I did the synchromax and it's awesome. [thumb]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
took me 30mins

car up, fluid out, fluid in, car down...

went auto-x today and its shifted like a dream all of 2 gears... Highway was great
Sweet!
auto-x...>>> Must be nice to hit the track in February. [:(]
My "track" today consisted of a driver's seat (the couch) with the gear shift knob (consisting of a remote control)
switching between Fox and MRN on the Sirius satellite for the Daytona 500.

Glad you like the RP switch. [thumb]

FWIW:
Royal Purple Synchromax
RedLine MTL
I'd rather use a lubricant specifically designed to meet/exceed the factory spec (Synchromax-ATF type manual transmission fluid)
than something with a vastly expanded (and compromised) coverage (Redline MTL gear oil).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts