Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2005 ZX5 5-Speed into the dealer to get the A/C installed and got a 2005 ZX4 Automatic as the loaner. Neither my car nor this one has a tachometer. Get anyone direct me to any information regarding engine RPM at various speeds for the MT and AT transmissions?

The AT seems to be running at a lower RPM at 70 than the MT but I am unsure.

Thanks.

Anthony
Seattle, WA

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
maybe you can try the trick with the odometer to see what the rpms are really at, and then compare that to your mtx....i am assuming this will work for the 05's cause i really am not sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
According to the focus manual your are supposed to shift at certain speeds, and not by the tach, so I guess that justifies not putting a tach in the base models. Still confuses me why they wouldn't....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You basiucally need to take a look at your owner's manuals, find out what each of the gear ratios are, and then you can come up with a chart for what each engine speed corresponds to for vehicle speed in each gear. Sport Compact Car just had a good article on how to do this in Excel. It was in the June or July issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, with the AT at 70MPH, O/D on, the "diag" tach read approx 2760ish. The MT in 5th at 70MPH was approx 2930ish. These both had the stock "S" trim tires.

The A/C install was done, through my dealer, at a place called Pacific Auto Air in Tacoma, Washington. Very well done done install, looks stock, even uses a Ford switch I think, sharing the spot for the air-recirculation switch.

Anthony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts