Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my ignition system (coil, wires and iridium plugs). Wondering what others thought of these two systems MSD and Screamin Demon.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Well I have the Screaming Demon set up that I'll sell you, I went back to STOCK. It just ran better. Once we hit good boost the SD just could not cut it and it started missing, did a quick change of coil and wires, never touching the plugs, and everything went back to normal.

I wont use that junk again[:(!]

Do yourself a favor, go to a local Ford dealer order a set of MotorCraft AZFS22C copper core plugs gap them at .050 and be happy.

They are what I run in my SVT Focus and I make 305whp at 15psi on 93 octane gas, stock coil and wires[thumb]

·
Registered
560 Posts
can you gap them even when using stock coil? and plug wires?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
YEP! The stock coil will do between .050 and .060 with ease[thumb]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I would start at .060 and if it didnt feel right drop to .055 and so on. I think the copper plugs with the .060 gap made more difference than the SD coil and wires.

PLUS 4 of the AZFS22C's cost about $17 TOTAL[thumb]

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
OT but what kind of turbo setup are you running 03orange?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Garrett GT28RS 15psi on 93 octane There is a dyno over in the FI forum[thumb]

I ran the AZFS22C's long before I went turbo without any problems.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
By the way, I have seen good things from grounding kits. Several months ago somebody had a dyno chart that showed a real (4-5) horsepower gain and sharper throttle response.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't know maybe its because of your turbo but I have been extremely impressed with the screaming demons --- I'm getting better power up top and better gas mileage ... maybe you had a bad set of wires ...

·
Registered
582 Posts
im about to buy a bunch of stuff in a couple of months myself,and decided to go with msd. they've been making quality ignition components for fords since.... well, you know how the saying goes.... whatever, but i've had their stuff on some 5.0s and never had any trouble... quality stuff...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Trust me, the stock coil will handle ANYTHING you can throw at it.

Ford runs the stock coil on their WRC Car[thumb]

·
Registered
507 Posts
If your going to go with a coil and wire kit, i would go with MSD. MSD has been making ignition system set-ups longer than most of us have been alive. MSD tried,true and tested.

·
Registered
582 Posts
thats cool that they use the stock coil on the rally car, thanks for the back up medic...

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMO there is no need to change the coil. Any gains people get from SD + livewires is just from the wires and re-gapping the plugs. Ford makes some decent coils on some vehicles. I've seen it in the mustang world, too.

If you want to upgrade. Buy some MSD wires, which are just about the lowest ohms/foot you can get, and re gap your plugs to .055 or .060.

By the way, I've tested livewires and MSD wires. MSD's are about 40 ohms/ft while live wires are around 350ohms/foot. MSD makes a really good wire.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just to throw my nickels worth in - I gap the stock plugs to .060. My car is bone stock, I run BP 93 octane.

The change in the gapping makes a noteable difference in throttle response and smoothness. I don't notice more power, but my butt-dyno is old now. [:D]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts