Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it worth it to get an MSD Digital ignition or similar product?? what does it actually do?? any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

-Jared[thumb]

·
Registered
137 Posts
well, MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) is a pretty neat distributor. I believe that the way it works (someone correct me if i'm wrong) is it just sparks more than one time so it is better fuel ignition. if you have a forced air inuction it is definitly worth it. it is worth it anyways.

Someone who knows, what is that other ign. coil out there? something like bulldog. ah i dont know...

F

·
0 Posts
just to correct you....the focus is a distributorless ignition system. and the difference is that instead of sparking in the hole once, it sparks 3 times which gives you a better burn of the mixture giving you more power and better gas mileage.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Is it useful on a stock or mildly modded fOCUS or about as good as getting a chip for a stock fOCUS ?

Anybody got one and want to share their experience with the MSD ?

Recommendations ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
[offtopic] What about the scremin demon coil.It is as good if not better than a msd?I have not herd much as far as feed back on the scremin demon coil and wires.Has anybody herd anything?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't have any experience with the screamin' demon coil, but I heard that you have to use their spark plug wires with it, (Livewires I think they're called). Has anyone heard otherwise?

Microtonal: What I do know about the screamin' demon or any similar coil packs is that even on a stock focus, they, (in conjunction with better spark plugs and wires) will make your engine run a little smoother, and some people report slightly better gas mileage as well.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
worth it as far as power??? no. it doenst make any real power, definately nothing noticeably.

worth it as far as gas mileage?? sure read around the net... one review i read said they got 4mpg better.

with FI i could see it being a good product and it making a difference and how the car ran. but if your looking for something to make ur car fast then this isnt the right product.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Typically an aftermarket ignition is used with a hot N/A or any FI setup.

On the focus there are 2 ignition systems I know of, no including the screamin demon. The screamin demon is an MSD coil pack just rebadged by another company for sale. It is supposed to work, I had one and didn't feel anything as far as effects so I returned it. It may increase idle quality and gas mileage though.

As far as ignition systems, MSD and crane both make DIS systems for the focus, you usually don't see them because they are expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had a screaming deamon install, first i didnt felt any, since i didnt gap the sparks well, then i fixed them and i "felt" better idle, and gas comsumption, the cables are nothing but a oem cable with a colered mesh sleeve. same diameter than stock. then i sold them, because i stoped to make mods to the zx3, but i cant wait any longer than one month......and started again
so now im looking for a new set of wires, coil, and sparks
did anyone heard before "power core" by nology, The PowerCore ignition coil amplifier increases ignition coil output performance of any inductive ignition system by up to 50%.
its is true?
about the sparks what are the hotter sprks, i ordered my zex dry kit, but i need new sparks, thats why i need new coil also....
Does anybody knows something about it- advice-opinion

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts