Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know if that new mr clean car wash stuff really work-u know, actually dries w/out u having 2, and leaves no water spots??

·
Registered
245 Posts
The only way any product leaves no water spots if it is soft water, otherwise, it's all not worth it.

Unless you really take care of your car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
yes I'm hoping to move to RO, but now my wife is in MI right now, talking about all kinds of S*&t. My EAS is June 26, 2004. Done with the Marines, but I willl be released somewhere around 4 May 2004. Hope somewhere around downtown RO is available..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I spent 18 years in Novi, MI. Wouldn't mind living there, if I could afford a $500k house. Not so much on a students payroll.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Back to the topic of the thread, no, i don't think there will be ever such a thing as something drying your car without water spots. It might come close, and I could be wrong, but time will tell. I personally wouldn't want to use such, cause I wouldn't feel my car was completely detailed without wiping it down with a towel or chammy. A true detailer would agree with me on that. Yes it might cut down on the work, but wouldn't as be as effective to me. Also, if your car beads up, which it should if it has a proper clearcoat and wax job on it, then it would be quite difficult to get water off of a car without drying it that beads up. Sounds like the only way something like this would work is if the water on your car is just lying there in sheets and not beaded up. In that case, as I mentioned, you either have a terrible paint or wax job and that would mean your car is in serious need of some attention as far as the paint part of it goes.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've been planning on getting one of these, but forgot all about it. Now that it's February and the thing is available in stores, I'm gonna give it a try. It does not strip the wax, and like any car wash soap, it works better if your car DOES have a good coat of wax. The secret is in the process - they developed a special polymer soap that is safe for the paint finish but in conjunction with the "purified" water that the filter in the kit provides, causes the water to sheet off the car rather than bead up. Beading up is what leads to the water spots, unless you happen to be blessed with completely mineral-free water in your area.

Again, it does NOT strip the wax... I have researched this product on the internet and found a post on a forum that was obviously from someone who worked for Proctor & Gamble (but who didn't come right out and say it) and it sounds to me like if you use the product strictly following the directions, and know how to wash a car in the first place, it should work just fine. People are having mixed results, but I suspect the people who find it is not working for them are not very good at washing the car no matter what the method is. It may not be much of a time saver, however. You still have to wait for the water to sheet off the car, and probably will have to "detail" a few spots here and there with a soft towel and maybe a little detail spray like Meguiar's Quik Detailer - but I have to do this anyway after towel-drying the car. Oh and as for the towel or chamois, that is the cause of swirl marks in paint - no matter how clean and soft the item is, you're still rubbing an object around and around on your paint, that's where the swirl marks come from. So in theory this Mr. Clean AutoDry doohicky should reduce the appearance of swirl marks.

So, now that I have been reminded of this product, I'm gonna look for it in stores and give it a try. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I believe someone on here or focal jet did this (try a search and see what comes up). I remember them saying that it does work because it has a filter that takess all the junk out of regular water which decreases the dreaded water spots. There is also some kind of specail cleaning liquid you can use that runs through this module also. Some guys are wondering if you can use zaino but they are worried it might be too thick a liquid to run through the module.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Okay so here goes:

Found one of these at Target - not available at auto parts stores, apparently. I tried it out on my grandma's old 84 Mazda pickup as a test. I did two things you shouldn't do while washing a car, one I did it in direct sunlight, and two, on a windy day. Despite that, I have to say it actually worked quite well. Granted the twenty-year-old paint on the Mazda doesn't exactly have a mirror perfect finish to begin with, but the wash job did in fact come out spot-free! The wind was a problem because as the water dried crud floating in the air stuck to the car.

If you get one keep a couple things in mind:

*you still have to actually WASH the car, in other words a sponge or mitt or whatnot must be used to spread the soap around and lift off the dirt

*just like a regular car washing, you must occasionally rinse the sponge/mitt/etc. to keep from building up too much dirt and crud

*ANY surface that does not get carefully sprayed with the filtered water will most likely get water spots. I missed a couple of spots, which became obvious as the truck dried - there would be a spot here or there with water beads. The filtered water sprays out pretty slowly, so take your time - it's actually a lot like painting, where you must keep the sprayer pretty close to the car and work the spray back and forth over the body panels.

*The slow and light spray of the filtered water also meant that the wind kept blowing it around, and away from the car. Another reason not to do this on a windy day.

Bottom line, I don't know if it's really much of a time-saver, but it was worth the money spent to me because I HATE the whole towel or chamois drying process...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I would be happy with just the filter part as my water is well water that is high in minerals, so I have a big problem with waterspots, even with towel drying. You can imagine how that looks on a black car. I am going to give it a try when I find one in the stores.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
keep us updated...

i have the same problem as you vanace...
my guess is that the product is made with chimicals to make the water "soft"

like rain water...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Oh yeah I knew I forgot something - for anyone who buys one of these, be careful not to lay the sprayer down with the side that has the filler hole for the soap facing down. I did, and discovered the little rubber cap that covers the hole is rather flimsy and easily pops off, spilling the soap all over the place. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i bought one from work and my roommate tried it out the other day. he said it worked well, but that you have to take all the precautions SVT4ME already mentioned. still trying to find replacment filters, though. they say the filter it comes with should be good for 3 washes. well, either my rommate used a lot of water or the water around here is really dirty bc the filter is halfway used!

i'd say "go for it" just bc i always hate trying to dry my car w/o getting water spots.

Mike

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
i'm skeptical about it all, I really don't trust the name, I cant think of them ever making car cleaning products. I personally am gunna stick with my Meguiars. I hear they have a new wax out now too. Some NXT wax or something[???:)] Thats what i am gunna use once the weather clears up round here.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, i tried it out, and it worked really good-the thing is that the filter de-ionizes the water or sumthin, making it pur-filter is made by the peeps that make the "pur' distilled water things so it gets rid of the minerals and junk-i'm still gonna wax my car though, but i get tired of always dryin my car off and what not-good product-i'll give it a good thumbs up-[thumb]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I tried it today for the first time on the Focus. I'd say it worked pretty well, oddly though it left water spots on the hood, might have been because the hood was still too warm from the car having been driven. Honestly the hardest part for me is sitting back and doing nothing - I have the irresistable urge to grab a towel and start wiping. Actually, I did. A few spots here and there, but mostly I wiped down the door jambs and inside the hatch area.

I think this product actually works better the less wax you have on your paint - the truck has no wax (not much anyway) and it dried in minutes with no spots whatsoever, but the Focus has got plenty of wax and the water beading up seems to slow the drying down. Even with my help it still took probably half an hour before the car was dry. So like I said before, not exactly a timesaver, but it is a lot less manual labor which is always good when you're lazy like me. [thumb]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
drewzx3 said:
How much does it cost?
You can own the Mr. Clean AutoDry for the low cost of 19.99. That's right, 19.99! Call now and we'll include the filter and soap you need to start washing your cars right away!!

So lame jokes aside, for 20 bucks you get the special spray nozzle, and a "starter" set of filter and soap - both of which are only good for about three washes. The replacement filters are supposed to be good for more like 10 washes, the soap bottle in the starter set is 6oz, the replacement soap bottles are 20oz. I forget exactly how much they cost, both are under $5 each - that's probably where they are planning on making their money, on the sales of the refill items.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts