Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... I took my ZX3 to about 100 or something like that and all of a sudden, it cut off power and wouldn't let me go faster. Why?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm guessing ford has a governor of some type either a chip somewhere or on the ecu.

possibly a 5th gear rev limiter but doubtful. I'm new this is my first night here so take my guess as a guess only ;)

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Its a 105MPH governer. I've hit it once, and that was on a 4th gear dyno run. I guess Ford doesn't want you going too fast.

Once way to get rid of it is with an ECU modification, and since we can't do that yet, we'll just have to wait.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bah. I was check'n out the steeda website and they have a chip for the Zetec. I'm crossing my fingers for one on the PZEV.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I hit the limiter just to check it out, it's not safe going that fast, but as long as you are not driving anywhere me or my family feel free to die horribly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
eggyolk said:
...as long as you are not driving anywhere me or my family feel free to die horribly.

HAH![rofl]

May I enjoy the same freedom, as well?

I feel that 105 is definitely not a safe speed, either...and you probably wouldn't want to go that fast unless you had tires rated for such an event. The governor is there, most likely, not for your safety, but for the sake of saving Ford some money on tires with a lower speed rating.

Remember, friends don't let friends drive foreign.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true, I shouldn't be going that fast. But who is to say I drive that way all the time. Enjoy the two digits dude.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
spapadillion said:
...I feel that 105 is definitely not a safe speed, either...and you probably wouldn't want to go that fast unless you had tires rated for such an event. The governor is there, most likely, not for your safety, but for the sake of saving Ford some money on tires with a lower speed rating...
spap -

Generally, I would tend to agree with you. The gov is there to keep the lunatic fringe consumer (realizing 99% of all drivers will never exceed about 85mph) from discovering the weakest link in the chain, speed-wise. On my boss's Merc Marauder for example, the gov is set to 110mph even though it has Z-rated tires. Why? Well, according to an article in Car&Driver magazine, they have problems with driveshaft balance above that speed so that's the weak link, not the tires. In the case of our foci, it might be tires, might be something else. My stock Pirelli P6's are H rated, which is 130mph. Quite possibly the tires on the base models are down there around an R (106mph, uncommon) or an S (112mph, extremely common).

As for driving at 105 - well, I did a motorcycle trip out in Utah this past summer, and I'll tell you there are plenty of very empty roads out in the desert where 105 feels like you could get off and walk alongside. There are plenty of congested areas in the US where 105 is a ridiculous speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah id have to agree, i was in a "situation" that required me to keep my foot to the floor (otherwise the pyscho on the s-10 was gonna get close enough to actually shoot at me and having a chance at scoring a hit, i dont know why) i banged 105-106 at about 4 thou on the tach...i actually thought for a sec i had run out of gas! i crapped a cinder block then realized that he was catching up...

·
Registered
31 Posts
but as for the matter of a 105 mph gov on a car with short drive shafts, and the pirelli p6's (i have em too but not for long bfgoodrich ta's here i come!) rated to 130, it makes sense for all the wrong reasons, what good is it gonna do me if a can only do 4 grand on a 4th gear dyno run!

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well... I'm at least going to look forward to a new chip thingy to help the rest of the car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
soffiler said:
...The gov is there to keep the lunatic fringe consumer (realizing 99% of all drivers will never exceed about 85mph) from discovering the weakest link in the chain, speed-wise...

Thanks for elaborating. I've just gotten re-interested in the mechanics of cars (other than fixing what's broke[;)] ) and I'm just at the tip of the knowledge iceberg, at this point. While it's mildly reassuring to know that I may be on the right track with a comment or two, I've still got a lot to learn.

Thanks again. Informative, as always.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Well, I hit 105 several times this past weekend. At Virginia International Raceway (VIR) of course. Despite the less than desired gearing, it still got up there just fine. Without it, I could probably have seen 110-112.

To put things into perspective, Toms 325hp turbo SVT was peaking at 147mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts