Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I picked up a set of 14" steelies and winter tires. I've been on them for a few weeks now. I'm starting to notice my MPG is going wayy down. I used to get 250-300 miles to a full tank(~23MPG), now its down to 200-225 miles to a tank(~17MPG).

I know there is more friction because of the beefy treads and that the steelies probly weigh more than the stock 15"s but should I really be seeing such a big decrease? I've even been controlling my driving because I noticed the decrease I'm not so aggressive anymore.

I think I'm due for new plugs and wires, but I was hoping I could wait until the summer for those, should I just bite the bullet and get em now or are they not the source of the problem?

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Also attribute it to winter gas. My mileage drops significantly here in NY when it turns into winter.. usually get almost 300 miles per tank, now I get about 220.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just winter alone can lower your mpg highly..the tires dont help though

I track my mileage.. my average winter mileage is about 15% lower than the rest of the year.

to summarize: Winter is the problem. Longer to warm up... crappy winter fuel
blend

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
liquid expands when its cold. So therefore, you are actually putting LESS in your tank during winter than you are during summer.

just my thought of it anyway...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Colder air causes you to get worse milage as well, as the air is denser, so you need more fuel to get a correct A/F ratio. And fuel with a higher ratio of ethanol does not help any either. You also have to factor in that the roads are slick, you drive slower, so it takes longer to get some place. I know in one of my jeeps it will get 12mpg normally, but in the snow then I have to drive 25mph everywhere, it drops to about 9mpg (its a '75 with an AMC 360 (5.9L), 6" lift, and 34" TSL's, so its not a real good fuel economy vehicle)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get worse mileage too, but I have winter tires, and start my car for 10 minutes every day before i go home from work. I think I'm averaging 22 mpg

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm not sure if the winter tires are the same size or not, but if they are taller than your stock wheels you'll notice a mileage decrease because the computer thinks it's going slower than the car actually is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts