Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all like are fun with toys but what about getting mileage with performance .
I have not found a forum or thread for what mileage gains any one is getting with any mod.

I have a 05 ZX3 2.0 ( K&N CIA , Magnaflow cat back ) 5 speed use 87 octane gas
Have the tires at 42 PSI( they hold 44 PSI ) valvoline 5W20 @ 3K
I am getting 31.5-32 MPG w/ about 90% interstate, driving like an old man

Please respond with the same information and anything else you have used or have added to your cars that have affected the MPG and I will try to make heads or tales out of it and post a summary.

If possible please let me know what each part or mod. has done to the mileage so it can be understood how each part will affect the mileage. This will help with anyone looking to get the most out of a tank of gas or who is looking to get performance

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
42 psi....dang, that sounds high...I have mine at 32-36.......

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya 42 is high i gave up a lot of performance and cant take a ramp at 40+mph over the posted limit but i have a long trip to work

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The money you are saving by lowering the rolling resistance of your tires is just going to be spent on new tires when you prematurely wear them out. You should be able to achieve 32MPG with stock PSI in your tires.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I got 28.2 the most on my car while going in the mountain in twisties. i do not know why but in street traffic i can not get more then 25.5-26.5 mind you this is with 65percent street driving.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I get 19-20mpg with 90% city driving. 30-32mpg is excellent. The estimated fuel economy stickers are bloated. The EPA regulations for testing fuel economy are extremely lax, most manufacturers effectively put the vehicle on a treadmill at 55mph in 5th gear. There was a thread not too long ago about this and it was found that the Civic Hybrid realistically got 26mpg instead of the 48mpg claimed.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
with the addition of an AEM CIA, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Royal Purple 5w30, i have gained 6-8 mpg!! this is no joke. since he purchase of my car, i recorded my gas. simply by running darn near every tank dry. filling it up completely, then camparing the miles i used on that tank vs. the amount of gallons i filled with. back in 8/05 i was getting 19.5-21.5mpg. after the 3 forementioned mods, i have been consistantly getting 27.3-29.8mpg. with the upcoming Diablosport, i can only hope for more. mind you, these miles are based on 60-80 miles per day, and 95% being on the highway. <i work 28.8 miles from home>

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
No offense, but why are the SVT guys posting in the Duratec Performance forum [dunno]

Anyway, I get closer to 30 half and half driving. I also get on it once in a while to get in front of someone. I have an MBRP exhaust, but I stupidly deleted the 2nd Cat which is causing problems with the fuel air ratio somehow. I need a tune to delete the 2nd O2 sensor. Here's some things I've noticed that help with fuel economy, and either help or don't hinder performance:

1)CAI- anything but a short ram
2)Cat back exhaust, if get get an MBRP, have the resonator pipe cut, resonator flipped and 2nd cat welded in, another FF has that done to his and gets 3 mpg better than me consistently.
3) SCT XCal2, probably the most expensive, but well worth it for being able to make small tweaks like -2 spark timing to get a tiny bit of staying power in tall gears at low speeds.
4)Wrapping the O2 sensors about 10 times with aluminum foil to shield it from heat, another FF gained 2 mpg from this, I reset my computer so I'm waiting on it to re-map before I can record any difference.
5)Lighter wheels. Be careful if you purchase aftermarket wheels to be sure that the wheel/tire combo you install is lighter than the one you removed. Ford wheels are heavy, so it's not hard to do. Alum 15's with stock rubber weigh about 36 lbs. That's a good number to shoot for.
6)Fuel station shopping- try everyone's fuel in town, record the results, I've noticed a 3 mpg difference just between one place and the other. This changes from location to location because a large part of it is the condition of the tanks, so everyone must do their own testing. Don't pay so much attention to price, a 3 mpg difference 30 miles more, so about $3, so it's more economical to pay 10¢ more for fuel that nets 3 mpg.

There's some other testing going on in the thread. If I find anything significant I'll be sure to report it in a thread. So far, it's little adjustments that add 2-3 mpg, and making sure you keep your foot off the accelerator that makes the most difference. Also the Duratec seems to need about 10k miles break in period before it finally starts being consistent. My dad was telling me about MSN doing an article on their website about fuel economy hoaxes. I have half a mind to test all these myself. There are some wacky things I've done that have helped other vehicles, but haven't done much on a Focus. My mom's van for example, an 03 Pontiac Montana, now gets 24 mpg in town with the AC on- up from 20.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I get right around sticker for in town.

Oh the highway I usually go pretty fast, so that explains why I get around 29mpg...however, if you knew how I drive, that is GOOD...esp. at speed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I get good mileage 27 city 31 backroads with few lights.
- ease into the throttle keepin rpms down and learning how to get the ATX to shift at that RPM I dont know my RPMs I just listen and feel... my 99 taurus OHV 3.0 got 32 on the freeway and 26 in town keepin the RPMs below 2000
- pace lights, dont race to the red light. I hit the same lights everyday try not to stop completely EXCEPT FOR STOP SIGNS and were told usually most states you can yeild for a right turn on red and not stop
- if your in a drive through cut the car off while waiting, if the line is slow (in Germany the law is No idleing for more than 3 min, or you get fined)
- keep track of traffic, dont get caught up trying to get some were faster, how much time do you save anyways.
- Change your oil. Look for Energy Conserving on the SAE stamp and dont forget the filter

That's all I can think of for now

·
Registered
43 Posts
I only have one thing to say about mileage: I can cruise at 90 mph and still get 35 mpg. Granted I haven't done any serious mods, only exhaust, pulleys and intake. That's pretty damn good mileage and I'm not worried about and mods that could "possibly" lower that number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i get about 32 highway and 25 city. under sticker i suppose but still pretty good. anyone else notice that they get about 120 miles on the first quarter tank and then 80 per quarter for the rest? maybe my gauge is just way off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With our 2006 PZEV ZXW 5 speed with 32psi all around (and a Thule rack on top, otherwise stock..for now) I'm averaging 33 mpg with mostly highway cruising at 65-70 with some A/C use. Provided I don't accelerate hard, this works pretty well. The car is still new (less than 4K) and so I'm still feeling it out but I'm loving it in the meantime. Great car and an enormous cargo area for dogs.

On a recent trip to Carrabasset Valley in my 2000 VW Golf TDI (1.9 liters, 90 hp/ 155ft/lbs @ 1900rpm) I got 50mpg with a double bed and box spring on the roof traveling at 55-60 with the A/C on and running 1,800 to 2,000 rpms. No mods other than a CCV filter and a 72" wide roof rack. Engine speed and driving style are everything, IMO, if it were readily available, the best mod that we could all get to improve mpg's would be a realtime/instantaneous on board mpg computer like those found on hybrids. I'd pay a couple hundred to have one in each car. I've gotten 45 mpg while pulling a 2,000lb Vermeer Chipper at 60-65mph and my worst tank for that car was 38 mpg going 75 into a headwind with two race canoes on the roof. Again, RPM's hurt a lot more than load.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Diesels generate a wonderful amount of torque and that combined with proper gearing will get great mpg figures. I'd LOVE a turbo diesel focus.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The best thing I can do is ease up on my right foot. I'm not saying drive like a grandpa, but save where you can save. I can easily nurse an extra 50-75 miles out of a tank by coasting down a hill, short shifting (keeping the RPMs rather low), and timing lights. It surprises me how many people race to red lights knowing you'll just be stopped there for awhile.

Anything you can do with your right foot helps.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
i get 320 to 350 a tank depending on if i keep my foot out of it....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts