Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an MPG nut. Looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get a few more MPG out of my STOCK 2.0 Duratec. I drive like a grandma--low RPMs. Which mods are the most economical in terms of up-front cost and MPG gain?

-DIY custom short ram?
-Cat Back--will it ever pay for itself?
-2.25" exhaust--does this just involve changing the after-catalytic-convertor pipe?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The DIY short ram is one of the best bang-for-buck mods out there, as it costs literally the price of your chosen filter.

Cat-back is sortof misleading, but only a little; our Duratec Foci have their primary (metered) catalytic converted integrated in the exhaust manifold. An exhaust would be a flex-back, but you've got the right idea for what it replaces.

I can't say for sure on the MPG gains on those, though I have both. My understanding is that anything which allows you to go faster using the same amount of gasoline will by definition allow you to go the same speed using less gas.

My $0.02, anyway... =)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DIY short ram is one of the best bang-for-buck mods out there, as it costs literally the price of your chosen filter.

Cat-back is sortof misleading, but only a little; our Duratec Foci have their primary (metered) catalytic converted integrated in the exhaust manifold. An exhaust would be a flex-back, but you've got the right idea for what it replaces.

I can't say for sure on the MPG gains on those, though I have both. My understanding is that anything which allows you to go faster using the same amount of gasoline will by definition allow you to go the same speed using less gas.

My $0.02, anyway... =)
Will installing the short ram filter require that I tweak the exhaust to balance airflow? Also, any rough idea how many mpg this mod provides for a granny driver?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
A short ram can hurt MPG as easy as it can help , any time you alter the air in front of the mass air you can change the flow which changed the fueling

Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd do a Steeda sri & a tune. Forget the exhaust, unless your at least adding a '05-'07 st mani/cat vs the log manifold.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Your profile says you have a 2001 SE SOHC which is not a Duratec. Are you asking about a different car than what is on your profile?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
mods for mpg like exaust/intake/tune ect, are not going to be wise investments. assume you spend $500 on exhaust and intake.

Say you get an extra 1mpg. Every 10k miles will only save you like $30 bucks on fuel. Even if you bumped up to 2mpg improvement, its going to take you close 85k miles to get back your investment.

Now these mods as far as drivability, fun, sound/performance...much better investment. Comes with the benefit of potential mpg increase, even better. For mpg alone, not so much.

·
Registered
535 Posts
what mpgs are you currently getting? I have an 05 5 speed,can get 31-33 on the highway driving very conservatively. If you are getting that good,it's going to be hard to get better without spending big money. Only mod I have is the steeda SRI.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm an mpg nut too and hope to push my new wagon close to 40mpg in the future. I was rummaging through the DIY section and found a how-to to keep the AC compressor from turning on when defrost is selected. I know it won't boost mpg all the time but at least it won't hurt it when you need to defrost the windshield. Find the thread but basically pull the knob panel out and unplug the plug with black and yellow wires from the middle knob.

HTH

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'm an mpg nut too and hope to push my new wagon close to 40mpg in the future. I was rummaging through the DIY section and found a how-to to keep the AC compressor from turning on when defrost is selected. I know it won't boost mpg all the time but at least it won't hurt it when you need to defrost the windshield. Find the thread but basically pull the knob panel out and unplug the plug with black and yellow wires from the middle knob.

HTH
Ok, but your defeating the purpose of the defroster. You find the it defrosts the windshield quicker w/ the compressor going vs w/o.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok, but your defeating the purpose of the defroster. You find the it defrosts the windshield quicker w/ the compressor going vs w/o.
IF the compressor is still needed it can be activated by the AC switch on the panel. I've never had to use the compressor while on defrost and if it does clear faster it's only required for the initial clearing, after that, regular air can do the trick so having control of the compressor is still better...at least in my brain it is.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just use it once in a while during the cooler months as was recommended when turning it on yourself was the standard setup.

Occasional exercise helps extend life of the unit, sitting unused for months isn't good for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just use it once in a while during the cooler months as was recommended when turning it on yourself was the standard setup.

Occasional exercise helps extend life of the unit, sitting unused for months isn't good for it.
nah, save $5 in gas per year and burn up a $100 compressor. [headbang][headbang]

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you value fuel economy over performance, consider swapping to the 3.41 final drive. Heck you might even be able to find somebody who values performance over economy that is willing to trade final drive gears.

·
Registered
414 Posts
lol you guys are crazy. I'd love to do an boat tail on the wagon, and one day (far into the future) I may even do so but that is not in the works right now. On my current DD I have my vents on feet/defrost mode for pretty much ALL winter, so this adjustment will work for me so that I don't run my compressor the entire time. My Saturn lets me control the compressor and I love it so keeping that control in the Focus is a nice benefit. I'm getting over 40mpg out of the Saturn through driving habits, trans swap and a few other small adjustments. The Focus will have more including rear wheel skirts, lowering and grill block. I'm hoping to get the Focus close to or exceed Saturn results.

Need to look into that gear swap, any threads that explain it all really well? Is it and easy job or just easier to swap the whole trans?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts