Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2.0 zetec ZX5 automatic. I've looked at the sticky threads about fuel economy but they are for duratec. The threads I've looked at start talking about mods but then for the next 20 pages begin to talk about driving habit and arguments of how many MPG you can get from a focus. I'm looking for just MOD talk and don't want to lose HP. Infact if I could get better MPG and HP that would be great. If I do lighten my vehicle I only want to buy parts that are lighter than stock but don't want to gut my interior.

I want to get an intake assembly but am scared of hydrolock. I might go as far as getting the CAI Steeda and do what one guy did and block water by sealing and adding fans to keep everything cooler. I'm also looking at the SRI Volant but I notice it's very simular to the Steeda. I live in Hawaii and even now in January the temp outside at noon is already 78 degrees. This is rainy season for us and hawaii roads are not good as far as shedding water into the gutters. I would say at worse the water can get up to a foot.

Do bypass valves really work?

What kind of exhaust should I get and what should the diameter be?

Do lightweight fly weels apply to automatics?

Do I need to flash my computer system on a zetec 2002?

Vents or hood scoops?

Any ideas? I'm all ears.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Dont do that, get the SVT airbox with a K&N filter. It out flows everything on the market and has been dyno proven to do so. PM me if youre interested. I can get you the whole kit from Ford Racing for that.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
IMHO....there are only a few things you can do which might give better MPG. It's possible the latest PCM program from Ford might do it.

A different air filter setup might help.

Other than that and standard maintenance procedures, there's not a whole lot that will help. When I got my '06 Duratec, I tried everything, one step at a time.....followed by about a tankful of gas to check the results.

Absolutely everything I tried had no measurable MPG increase. Until I installed a Steeda SRI (I'm the guy with the hood seals and extra fans)......after that my MPG increased 3MPG.

If you have water on the road issues where you frequently drive.....forget a CAI. If/when you go through a deep puddle and hydro-lock, the people who push such things....won't help pay for the engine damage. I don't worry about water hitting my air cleaner.....won't happen unless I drive into a lake. [;)]

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
also to add on get a 2.25 inch exhaust by borla or magnaflow.
SVT header kit from mike at hilbish who is the first reply to this thread and also get new spark plug wires and motorcraft copper plugs gapped to .060. tuning and cam gears will also help. a new 65mm TB and an intake manifold off a 2000 zetec will help.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ur not using ethanol gas are U?? I mean some of the gas stations put up to 10% ethanol in their gas. this will make u loose MPG, but other than that, the only real things u can do are oil changes ever few thousand, and make sure you have a very clean air filter!! you can loose a crap load of gas mileage w/ a bad air filter. also check ur tire pressures, make sure they aren't under inflated. and yes, bypass valves really do work. I've ran through a bunch of puddles (I'm from michigan, so its not uncommon) that are about 1 ft. deep, no problems!! I have the AEM CAI w/ bypass valve.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all real good info

all real good info. I gave as much rep points as I could, I have to wait 24 hours to give more=) Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. All good info.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Look at it this way, anything that reduces the load on the engine can give you better mpg, notice though I said can! Once you start modding you'll want to give it a little more gas, so you'll have to be careful with that. Another thing that wasn't listed is a UDP, I noticed a slight increase when I put mine on.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You could always get a vacuum gauge so the harder you push on the gas pedal the more vacuum you draw.

What? [scratch]
The harder you push the throttle the less vacuum you make. If one is to use an in car vacuum gauge for mileage purposes you want to keep high vacuum, which will equal low load and save fuel, but that also means slowly accelerating.

ur not using ethanol gas are U?? I mean some of the gas stations put up to 10% ethanol in their gas.
I think it's more our states that do this. I'm doubting Hawaii uses any Ethanol. Here in MN it's state law that we have to have 10% in all our unleaded on road fuel. Really don't see more than maybe 1mpg loss, and that is at the very most.

Look at it this way, anything that reduces the load on the engine can give you better mpg, notice though I said can! Once you start modding you'll want to give it a little more gas, so you'll have to be careful with that. Another thing that wasn't listed is a UDP, I noticed a slight increase when I put mine on.
I like this guy [thumb] . Reduce load, gain MPG.

Gaining performance (HP and or TQ) and gaining MPG is a road of diminishing returns and somewhat of a oxymoron. To gain HP you must add fuel for the most part (assuming that the combustion taking place right now is complete and efficient). So that lead us to making sure the car is running up to par before any modifications are done.
Make sure you are using low Ohm plug wires. A lower resistance wire will put less stress on the ignition coil and in turn create less draw on the alternator, which puts less drag on the engine.
Make sure the spark plugs are gapped correct and Autolite or Motorcraft plugs (I cannot stress the brand of proper plug enough). You may also want to "index" the plugs. That is making sure the ground strap on all of them is facing the same direction (will be close to facing an exhaust port if anything like mine).
Use the recommended 5W-20 oil or 0W-20 oil. If the oil pump has to work harder to push fluid it will also put more load on the engine.

Now, intake and exhaust. The exhaust should be looked at first because it plays a larger role. If you can not clear a cylinder of spent gases the power from that cylinder will be diminished, it turn creates more demand for fuel and you loose mileage. So we want to make sure there are no bottlenecks in the exhaust. A shorty header or the complete SVT swap would probably be the best bet emissions wise (SVT being better). A good manifold will smooth the flow and make it more laminar, predictable. IMO the stock cat has to go, but for Federal emissions standards you need a cat, high flow would be a good idea. Far as exhaust diameter, 2.25"; flows well enough and with 2.5" yo may loose some low end TQ, which we do not want to do.
Intake isn't as big of a concern. Simple K&N drop in would really be enough, but again the SVT air box would be best.

OK this is the skeptical part, crank case vacuum. Again IMO if you can have vacuum in the crank case you will reduce load on the engine and gain MPG. At all times beside sustained WOT I have vacuum in my crank case, you guys do not. If you do not believe me you can attach a vacuum gauge to your dipstick tube with the car running and play with the throttle and try to get the needle to read vacuum. All it will do is sit very near to 0.
Here is what I make:

Thread relating to what I did --> CLICK ME

Then there are the aerodynamic mods, which I really can't comment on being no one has really posted on them before.

But the reason we keep pushing driving habits is because it is the #1 free mod and works most every time, along with the normal maintenance and tire pressure stuff.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
As far as your hood scoop... (I just wanted to chime in on that point.)

though the cooler air would be great, in that *to a certain point* cooler air allows for better combustion, a scoops un-aerodynamic propeties would out way any potential gains.

this is because our cars weren't designed to enjoy all of that extra air, such as a WRX or Evo.

Just my .02 So you should stick with Mike's awesome intake.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I think this could go on forever. Like I said earlier reduce the load and you gain mpg. But you need to be careful. Example: A cold air intake, will give some gain in hp. How? by letting colder air get into the engine, but what happens when colder air gets in the engine? The car corrects the air to fuel ratio. More air(because its colder) means more fuel which in turn gives you less mpg. But then again if you baby the car with the modification then you'll see some gains because if your not on the pedal as much the car isnt sucking in as much air and so it doesnt spray as much gas. But who cant resist punching the gas every now and again with the awesome roar of the engine you can now hear!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Thank you iminhell

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ethanol law and safety check

I believe Hawaii has an ethanol law because I haven't seen any stations without it.

1 good thin about Hawaii is we don't have smog checks. We have safety checks annually that involve a lights, tires, tinting and engine light check (ex. if your check engine light is on you don't pass). They don't look under you hood.

So if a focus can run without it I could remove the catalyc converter.

My dad also told me that a turbo (not super charger) would save gas as long as I didn't enjoy the power too much. I could put 1 on here in Hawaii because we don't smog. A turbo saving gas might have something to do with the compression or vaccume issue and would be a lot of fun when I wanted.

I had a 1984 4 cylinder buick skyhawk with a turbo and it was good on gas if babied but would take off like a v8 if needed.

Also if some kind of hood scoop would put too much drag on the car then what about side vents (ports) or vents on the hood?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
eh howzit braddah [:D] what island you on?

As far as MPG mods... do the SVT intake box and snorkel and a K&N Filter. I have done this mod and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Also for hood scoops and vents, i dont think they would really add any mpg, i think they would just add drag.

Also, you didnt mention recon, so you must not live on Oahu.

IMHO, i think for MPG mods, you can lower the car (less drag?), add an intake, exhaust, the SCT xcal tuner, and lighter wheel and tire package. Also use good oil. One time i switched to Royal Purple and i gained 5 more MPG. What i also think would help is the european air deflector, but you would need the european grill to fit it properly.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
It really wouldn't save you any mpg. you have to put more fuel into the cylinder to run safely, therefore, less mpg. If you compare a 300 whp turbo'd 4cyl to a 8 cyl new mustang, you will get better mpg in the turbo'd 4 cyl cause the motor is running more efficiently.

You can run w/o a cat, more ph, but it is a federal offense.

·
Registered
305 Posts
also the stang has 4 more cylinders.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Most of the suggested mods in this thread sound neat........but I'm afraid they would just cost a lot of money and time, and you could never measure a MPG increase.

That's probably why all the MPG threads are filled with talk of driving techniques and such. Drive easy on the highway most of the time, and you'll see MPG increase. Install a turbo with a fancy exhaust and body work.....virtually guarantees worse MPG. The talk you read in some of these threads might lead you to believe you can get almost 50 mpg.....but it's only talk, and cannot be proven or duplicated.

If you can get around 30mpg with normal mixed driving....be thankful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is ALL in HOW you drive PERIOD.

Most of the suggested mods in this thread sound neat........but I'm afraid they would just cost a lot of money and time, and you could never measure a MPG increase.

That's probably why all the MPG threads are filled with talk of driving techniques and such. Drive easy on the highway most of the time, and you'll see MPG increase. Install a turbo with a fancy exhaust and body work.....virtually guarantees worse MPG. The talk you read in some of these threads might lead you to believe you can get almost 50 mpg.....but it's only talk, and cannot be proven or duplicated.

If you can get around 30mpg with normal mixed driving....be thankful.
I get 36 mpg all the time in mixed driving in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area (have the gas receipts from day one off of the lot new, until now) 2008 Focus 5 speed sedan. I have all maintenance done at Sam Pack Ford in North Richland Hills TX, and run Motorcraft Synthetic oil. It is all in HOW you drive. Easy on the throttle, get into high gear as quick as you can and stay at or below 2000 rpm, that means about 58 mph on the freeway. In town, 1st, 3rd, 5th if possible. Good MPG's guranteed if you drive like I do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Buy lighter wheels

Try to find low rolling resistance tires (like on a few hybrids.)

Find a good tune

Slightly larger exhaust might help a touch

Weight Reduction (Less weight in car will increase MPG and performance)
ie. Remove rear seats, remove sound deadening, carbon fiber pieces.

Larger Throttle Body

Aftermarket spark plugs (More complete combustion)

SVT Airbox with K&N Filter (the Steeda CAI is not a true CAI search around to find some threads on this topic.)

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
pay to fly me to Hawaii so i can show you have to get better MPG....

it's to dang cold here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts