Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a list of mods that boost MPG divided by their costs. This would give a "biggest boost for buck" ratio.

I'm thinking the list would have things like: nitrogen tires, light synthetic and non-synthetic oil, body enhancements that reduce drag, mufflers and forced air inductions.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
I know this is posted in Second Gens, but it may be the same as my car. I bought a FSwerks CAI for $220 and I went from 31 mpg to 37 mpg. But then I got a catback exhaust system so now I get 34 or 35 mpg. If I completed the system I was told it would go back up though.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I have done the Big 3 and have seen an average of +1-1.5mpg over about 20k miles. cost was around $800. Even for me with driving about 35K miles a year Im only saving $200-$250 a year on gas, it would take 4 years to brake even.
The things to keep in mind are; weight, the less stuff you carry around the better your mileage.
2 is good tires that are properly inflated, don't spend the money on Nitrogen as the benefits are not real world effective.
You could also lower the car and do some aerodynamic improvements such as body kit, rear wing/spoiler (if you don't have one).
Also things like having lightweight wheels that have close to stock offset, if they stick out your are pushing air with them instead of the air going around them.
Think of the new '12 focus SFE (Super Fuel Economy) model, the big differences are the wheel covers that are almost smooth and the rear wing, that's about it and they are able to say it gets 2 mpg's better then the cars without them!
In the end its not hard to get better mileage, but only if you can keep your foot out of the gas, run great tires and are always thinking about how your actions effect mileage.

Good luck!
Bob

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
After adding 17" wheels I lost a bunch of my MPGs
I recently installed the FSWerks CAI and it seems like my MPG has gone back up.
But the down side is the CAI could also make the MPG worse.
I got up to 45mpg on the highway again (I filled up and divided by miles traveled, haven't done this since the 15s I used to have) The trick to this is to go 65mph and try to not go over 70. I noticed I get back in the 30 area if I go any faster
In the city, my mileage goes down the tubes with me getting on the throttle more but I think I'm adjusting to it and not doing it as much now

Best part is I got the CAI on this forum for $100 shipped [:)]

·
Registered
782 Posts
i did steeda sri(249) and a 2.5" cat back system and when i drive to see my gf parents in upstate ny i put the cruise on 77 and just go for 418 miles... i get about 35mgp... city driving is different because you will come to love the sound :) and i get about 28.5mph.... i have reset the digital mph .... set my cruise on my way to work in the morning and have gotten it up to 42.5mph :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Care to share how you got it for $100?

Thanks for the good ideas so far! Anyone tried hot plugs or programming?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Probably used for a member in the BST section.

I also lost about 3mpgs when I switched from my 15's to my 17's, but it was worth it to me as the handling is far better.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
After adding 17" wheels I lost a bunch of my MPGs
Same. No matter how much I monitor my tire pressure, reduce how much cargo is in my car, or try to accelerate/brake slowly, I can't get back above 35 mpg. When I was driving in the winter on my 15" stock wheels, I was getting about 42 mpg if I stayed at the speed limit.

[mad]

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I was driving in the winter on my 15" stock wheels, I was getting about 42 mpg if I stayed at the speed limit.

and when do you ever drive the speed limit?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Since prying eyes are watching...

I drive the speed limit all the time. Always. I'm an angel, obviously. [angel]

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Ya me too.............

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the GForce feedback.

What about plugs? Any hot plugs or iridium / platinum plugs users see a difference?

·
Registered
489 Posts
People that went to bigger wheels - what are the offsets and weights compared to stock? I'm hoping to go to a 17" wheel that is close to the same weight-

I picked up 1-2 mpg with the K&N drop in panel.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
My 17's are; 17X7.5" offset +40mm, weight 16.5lbs ea, $500-$600 ea (converted from British Lbs, mot including shipping from Europe)
Only had to trim a tiny bit of plastic off the rear bumper mount.

Stock steel wheels were 19.5lbs ea
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
489 Posts
You lost MPG's by going to a larger wheel diameter, but lighter wheel? Do you think the offset did it? The overall diameter shouldn't change, the width may play a part as well..

I was thinking of going with a Montegi MR121 in 17" - 17x7, 40mm offset and 17.9lbs.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Yes i did, but the answer is not that easy. The biggest difference is the tire/wheel combo.
Stock setup for my car was; 15" steel wheel with cover and 195/60R15 tires, wheels were 19.5lbs + the tire at 18 lbs = 37.5lbs per corner. Now the stock tires are about 24.4" tall and have a tread width of 6.4" (width of tread touching the ground).
New wheels are 17" aluminum with 215/45ZR17 tires, the wheels are again 16.5lbs + tire at about (cant find the exact numbers) 21lbs = 37.5lbs which is the exact same overall weight per corner. The new tire is 24.8" tall and has a tread width of 7.7". This is 4/10's of an inch taller and 1.3" wider on the ground, this in turn takes more effort to move down the road as well as changing the effective gearing of the car slightly.
In addition to the height and width change the "Mass" of the rotating tire/wheel is moved farther out, again effecting mileage.

Now our cars are really sensitive to changes that can effect mileage, and the smallest thing can and will move it around.

Oh and yes the offset is probably not that great as well, but for 2 reasons; First is it changes the entire front suspension geometry of how the tire interacts with the ground, turning/scrub radius and so on, Second is by moving the wheel out you now have the tire and wheel sticking out and pushing air. In the stock setup the tire is sunk into the fender where air can effectively pass by it without ever touching it reducing drag, not so if you move it out to the edge of the fender.

Hope that helps,
those are some nice wheels too, good luck!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
when i went from my stock 15" wheels which weigh about 16lbs to 18" msr wheels which were 19lbs each i saw a huge drop in acceleration and a massive drop in mpgs. so i bought me some 16" rota slipstreams(= 13lbs each. lets just say it made my mpg shoot through the roof ad my car is much faster.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
the most difference is the weight. i finally found a scientif test that backed up the suspension. for every 3lbs under your suspension (unsprung weight) it is equivalent to 30lbs in your car!!! in my case i cut 6lbs just by wheels alone. no telling how much on the tires. it was like freeing up 300+lbs from my car, thats a huge deal with our focuses

1 - 20 of 43 Posts