Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure where to put this, not to mention I'm on my phone ATM so I can't see all the boards. Anyway, I have a 2014 Focus ST 646 miles. I just out gas treatment (STP) and marathon gas on my car. I filled it up. Now when I'm driving the mpg monitor is going insane up and down like by the second. Did I do some thing wrong? What should I do? The car seems to be driving just fine.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sounds like you did a reset of the screen you're looking at, bounces all over when there's no history to average it with. It'll calm down fairly quickly.

I'll move this to the MkIII section where you can find threads on the subject.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know what, I did do that come to think about it Lol. I'm sorry. And I'm still getting the hang of where boards are located Lol my apologies. Thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No problem at all, glad it helped.

No worry about the move, that's just to help you out. Can't see as much depending on the phone setup, harder to learn the sections with reduced info..

Welcome to FF!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Resetting the mpg meter is great to learn just how much gas is wasted sitting at a stoplight.
Or also accelerating.. Vs just steady cruising ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The mpg meter on the focus is very sensitive after you reset. I reset the one in a rental after leaving the airport in Kahului, HI and babied it beyond 50 mpg by the time I rolled into Lahaina. Hawaii's low speed limits are good for that:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mpg meter on the focus is very sensitive after you reset. I reset the one in a rental after leaving the airport in Kahului, HI and babied it beyond 50 mpg by the time I rolled into Lahaina. Hawaii's low speed limits are good for that:
Lol that's awesome. I can only get about 20-22 mpg. >_< I'm not sure how to get it up that high. Maybe its from living in WV with all the hills Lol.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The hills in south OC kill my gas mileage too. I just do long coasts in 5th gear with my foot off the accelerator when I'm going down hill. It doesn't really balance it out completely but since I started doing that I have gained a few MPGs. If it wasn't for all the hills and doing the stop/start traffic a couple times a week on the freeway I would probably be around 40 MPG. Instead I'm at 32/33 MPG.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol that's awesome. I can only get about 20-22 mpg. >_< I'm not sure how to get it up that high. Maybe its from living in WV with all the hills Lol.
I was surprised, but my own car usually read 10% optimistic on the gauge vs. Hand calculations. Still, 45 mpg would be quite good. I ended up at 37 mpg when I returned the car which isn't bad considering I drove it up to 10000 feet (Haleakala volcano) and along 60+ miles of the tightest twisty road (15 mph speed limit most the way, 600+ turns, and tons of traffic ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts