Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I am getting a little concerned about my car. tonight the wife and I took it out for a drive and I looked at my MPG and it is 22 MPG. it is 54 degrees out side I do not have the AC and also do not have the the clement control system in defrost mode witch runs the AC pump. all my driving is city driving no high way. I just don't know how some people on here are getting 30+ 100% city driving. the car has 1800 miles on it, I do have the DSP6 power shift trans. stock titanium 5 door any help would be great thanks to all

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would fill the tank and see what kind of "actual" milage you are getting. If it is that low I would be taking that thing back to the dealership because something is not right. and dont take "it's not broken in yet" for an answer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
make sure youre frequently resetting your MPG meter, also make sure your tires are properly inflated, with cooler weather the air inside the tires condenses and you lose some tire pressure. keep that in mind. also, drive smoothly, try to avoid stop and go stop and go. a lot of stop and go will show you lower mileage, but always do the true calculations when you fill up, dont let the cars meter be your only indication. mine has been wrong both upwards and downwards every fillup.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that to both feta_mgp & Foleysfocus11. i went out in the garage and check the tire pressure on the 17 inch tires. they were 30 pounds I don't know what they should read but just last week they were 35 LBS that is what the door tag says. should they read that low when they are cold? I would think they should read 35 LBS when cold. would five pounds make a difference? thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
tire pressure will absolutely make a difference but not that much, for 5lbs. I drive mine like I stole it and I still get around thirty miles per gallon. when I baby it its over 40. like I said fill it to rim. reset the trip meter to zero when its time to fill it up take the miles driven and divide that by the exact amount of fuel that you put back in. If it is still in the low 20's I would take that gas receipt and what your milage is to the dealer and have them explain.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
no doubt, ive only had one tank where i averaged over 30mpg... hoping that goes up after an oil change and "the works" at my dealership, to clear out all the break in engine gunk from a brand new engine. if not, we'll see whats goin on

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm only getting an average of 24mpg @860 mi. on the odometer so that's not much better than the OP. I do only city driving also and I'm forced into the stop and go thing. Maybe it will improve, IDK we will see. I definitely got fantastic mileage when I did a highway test a while back (about 40mpg).

To the OP: You could try a different place to fuel up and see if that makes a difference too. As far as getting the dealer involved, it's going to be tough because the window sticker says 22 to 32 mpg in the city depending on how you drive it. There are a lot of variables but the one that really kills your mileage is the stop and go over and over. I would be happy with 27 but due to the stop and go I have to go through I'm not going to get my hopes up. A hybrid probably would have been a better choice for my situation but I just love everything else about this car so I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had another idea... take it for a highway cruise. see if you get close to the 40mpg that is advertised. If you do, I would say it is a combination of a heavy foot and shitty driving conditions(stop and go) Keep in mind we are in the great white north. gas stations will be switching over to the winter mix and your milage will be going down again for another 6 months.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
'City driving' isn't this scientific term that is equal across the board. City driving for one person is NOT city driving for another. Cities are built differently, traffic conditions vary wildly, and peoples' perception of what is considered 'city driving' differs greatly.

Basically, just because someone says they got 30+ mpg doing 'city driving' doesn't mean those are the same conditions you are experiencing. And none of that even figures in how you drive.

So in short, don't try and compare two dissimilar experiences, it won't get you far. If you have a lot of stops and the speed limits are higher between stops you just won't get good mileage, period. Meanwhile, someone who's driving an area that has lower speed limits and/or less stops will get better mileage.

ETA - another point to make is that the car's mpg readout is not very accurate over short distances. I've only found it to be accurate when read at fill ups, or at least after long trips. And also remember that it is an average read, so if you don't reset it then go on the free way it won't show the actually mpg you're getting for that period as it's still averaging your current mpg into your past mpg.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Agreee 'city' driving means many different things to different people.
My 2012 Focus gets around upper 30's in all city driving. That is steading no heavy traffic, few stoplights. Some freeway about town runs.
IF I had to be in rush hour traffic, with stoplights every few blocks for many times, crawling rush hour freeway. I would have 22mpg too!!!!

As it is for me, I have long stretches with no stops, I do not have to drive in rush hour traffic. all in city. so i can see upper 30's to low 40's on good days city driving.

And the last thing is gas. The actual brand of gas may make a diference.
If you are buying a quality brand Mobil, Shell, at a busy station, then you should be OK. (BP sucks for none gas reasons)..
If you buy gas at an off brand, or never busy station. I would definitely change gas stations...
If your gas has 10% ethenol, it may be also just crummy ethanol. either full of water, or more than allowed. So try different gas. Even half a tank of better gas topping off bad gas.. you will know it right off if your old gas was crap. (your mpgs will jump up by 10% to 15% right off)

·
Registered
418 Posts
ok so I am getting a little concerned about my car. tonight the wife and I took it out for a drive and I looked at my MPG and it is 22 MPG. it is 54 degrees out side I do not have the AC and also do not have the the clement control system in defrost mode witch runs the AC pump. all my driving is city driving no high way. I just don't know how some people on here are getting 30+ 100% city driving. the car has 1800 miles on it, I do have the DSP6 power shift trans. stock titanium 5 door any help would be great thanks to all
I'm getting 22 MPG to 24 MPG city (100% city)
and 36 MPG to 38 MPG Highway (100% highway)

Reset your meter and go for a 20 mile drive on 100% highway (level if possible) at +- 62 MPH (100Km/hr)
if you get 36 MPG or better your car is fine. City driving drinks gas.

·
Registered
968 Posts
make sure youre frequently resetting your MPG meter, also make sure your tires are properly inflated, with cooler weather the air inside the tires condenses and you lose some tire pressure. keep that in mind. also, drive smoothly, try to avoid stop and go stop and go. a lot of stop and go will show you lower mileage, but always do the true calculations when you fill up, dont let the cars meter be your only indication. mine has been wrong both upwards and downwards every fillup.
Why should he "frequently reset" his MPG meter? I only reset mine when I fill the tank. If you reset it between fillups your DTE will not be very accurate, and you could wind up running out of fuel with the DTE saying you have miles to go.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
418 Posts
Why should he "frequently reset" his MPG meter? I only reset mine when I fill the tank. If you reset it between fillups your DTE will not be very accurate, and you could wind up running out of fuel with the DTE saying you have miles to go.

Posted via FF Mobile
When you are doing an experiment such as a Highway run to check MPG, the Average MPG can be reset without affecting anything else, such as the Distance to Empty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Plus you have a trip 1 and a trip 2 so pick one to do the overall average at fill-ups and the other can be used to do experiments with. My Avg. MPG readings on trip 1 (reset on fill-ups only) were extremely close to the actual calculations I do every fill-up.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
'City driving' isn't this scientific term that is equal across the board. City driving for one person is NOT city driving for another. Cities are built differently, traffic conditions vary wildly, and peoples' perception of what is considered 'city driving' differs greatly.
That is a good point some places the city speed limit is 30mph, where I live "city" is 45-55mph and highway is 60-75mph at the speed limit.

@ the OP

Have you always gotten the same mpg with each tank of gas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks to all for the input. all I have to say is WOW, tire pressure makes a big dirferance. come to find out my tire gague was showing the wrong tire pressure, the tires must have to be all most flat in order for the TPMS to alert you. After getting a barnd new gague my tires had 28 lbs in them, they should have 35 LBS cold. first trip in to work this A.M. and got 31.4 MPG, and that is all stop and go about 15 times. going to be makeing a 60MPH 30 mile trip tonight we will see how it does. Thanks again everyone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts