Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So OK ... there are so many different claims ... with too many variables.

Let's try something really simple.

Two different car family.
rotate drivers ... doing what they normally would do.
compare one car to the other ... a tank at a time.

try this ...
2000 mustang 6 in town 14.5 mpg
2012 focus in town 23 mpg.

What more do we want to know??????
I'm happy with 23 ... but I think we are both driving the 2012 harder.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm getting 23mpg driving it however I want, I just got the thing and still on the first tank of gas however, and some of the time sitting and idling while showing off toys to people. Every time someone new goes for a ride I obviously have to show them a hard acceleration and take off.

Today I flipped over to trip 2 and reset it, and during my commute home and a few errands this evening I was getting 31mpg.

So while I'm happy with 23(for now), it's nice to know it can do better when you baby it and drive like a responsible adult :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm getting 23mpg driving it however I want, I just got the thing and still on the first tank of gas however, and some of the time sitting and idling while showing off toys to people. Every time someone new goes for a ride I obviously have to show them a hard acceleration and take off.

Today I flipped over to trip 2 and reset it, and during my commute home and a few errands this evening I was getting 31mpg.

So while I'm happy with 23(for now), it's nice to know it can do better when you baby it and drive like a responsible adult :)
DO NOT BABY IT at least the first 1000 miles. [cheers] Enjoy the drive and have fun. I don't know how many times my collegues wanted to show them how the parking technology works [grinking]. I don't say more about the "stop and go", where everyone wanted to see how it sounds and how fast she is. Well, all I can say is that in S mode, she's pretty fast for a compact car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
23mpg out of a 2012? man you guys must be leadfoots.
roger, roger ... and you got to see the length of some of the red lights down here this time of year. its the waiting for the "left turns light" that gets you at nearly every rinky dink intersection.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a 24 mile one way commute to work. The commute is suburban and country roads with 5 traffic lights 1/2 of which i make with out stopping.

In my pickup i get 17-18 mpg
In my Barracuda i get 16.5 to 17.5
In my turbo PT Cruiser i get 23.5-24.5
In the 12 Focus i get 33.5-34.5

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 24 mile one way commute to work. The commute is suburban and country roads with 5 traffic lights 1/2 of which i make with out stopping.

In my pickup i get 17-18 mpg
In my Barracuda i get 16.5 to 17.5
In my turbo PT Cruiser i get 23.5-24.5
In the 12 Focus i get 33.5-34.5
That's what we're looking for ... real car comparisons. didn't realize the PT cruiser was a gas hog even though it's a turbo. looks like almost a 50% increase in MPG? do you prefer one driving over the other?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, I must have a on of a kind Focus. Average around town right now is 28.1 !
I don't drive like 90 year old, just normal and no one pulls away at lights from me.
Only time so far out of town was just 200 mile round trip on rural roads and averaged a little over 33.
I know it will get a lot better on long trip and on interstate.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I only have around 820 miles on my focus and it has steadily gotten better mileage from 20 mpg and it's now at a solid 24 mpg average. My in town driving is very restricted to smaller roads and lot's of stop and go. In fact most trips I take are no more than 17 miles round trip since I'm so close to everything I need. I'm only 7 miles from where I work so that's the main trip I make all the time.

While I was testing the car out on the highway a while back I reset the trip 2 average and was easily getting 40mpg during that 40 minute drive. That's good enough for me. I wish the in town driving average was at least up to the rated 27mpg but there is still some break-in to do on this car and I have probably the worst case scenario for in town driving you can get since there is no highway driving at all.

·
Registered
968 Posts
'04 V8 Explorer: 11mpg
'05 Saab 9-3 turbo: 18mpg
'12 Focus SE: 26mpg

This is almost 100% in town with lots of idling.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
714 Posts
2005 Saab (Saabaru) 92X Aero (WRX) 19-21 MPG Avg
2009 Focus SES 30 MPG Avg

Hoping my 2012 Titanium gets more than 30 MPG Avg

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's what we're looking for ... real car comparisons. didn't realize the PT cruiser was a gas hog even though it's a turbo. looks like almost a 50% increase in MPG? do you prefer one driving over the other?
The Barracuda by far is my favorite ride. Its fast, its loud, its bright lime green and i love the way i feel behind the wheel. When i first built the current engine it was getting 12 mpg and it took me over a year to get the carb tuning right to maximize the economy without loosing any power. It also helps that i swapped in an overdrive tranny. i have a 340 block i am building into a 416 that will take the power beyond 500HP and it won't be getting 16.5 any more.

I don't consider the PT turbo to be particularly bad for economy. It has 250ish HP and its fast too.

I would say its a wash between the Focus and the PT as to which one i prefer driving. Its down to whether i want a smooth, quiet, polished ride or want some get up and go.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'04 V8 Explorer: 11mpg
'05 Saab 9-3 turbo: 18mpg
'12 Focus SE: 26mpg

This is almost 100% in town with lots of idling.

Posted via FF Mobile
I think most people just don't realize what milage they got with other cars compared to what they get with the 2012. they look at the high 30s and think that's automatic. In this report, for example, we are talking 236% improvement over the Explorer.

I think that is what this 2012 MPG is all about ... what improvement we get compared to what we got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts