Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the MP3 players that Ford puts in some of the focus compatible with the harness of the 6 disc changer cuz i would much rather have the MP3 player with my audiophile system than my 6 disc changer???

·
Registered
515 Posts
Blackandgold, to answer your question, no the wiring harnesses are not interchangeable.

Infra3sv, you are incorrect. The audiophile 6 disc changer will not play MP3s in MP3 format. You must convert them to CD audio format to be playable. Only the single disc MP3 player will play MP3 format tracks.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
My Bad!
I got my 6 disc replaced because it didn't play mp3s. I have a mixed cd (mp3s and audio cd). When I stuck the cd into my computer it would only show the mp3s. I thought it was all mp3s. How hard would it be to put a Ford mp3 player into the focus?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Putting in an aftermarket stereo is like changing the oil or washing your car, very simple. Just pick out a new radio, get the harness for your make/model, get the DIN stereo removal tool for your stock radio and a new mounting kit for the new radio.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How hard would it be to put a Ford mp3 player into the focus?
Infra3sv . . .

I have been trying for over 4 months to change the 6 CD Changer in my ZTS to an MP3 CD Player. I finally managed to get a radio thanks to a More Then Generous individual who helped me a great deal!!

The harness for the cars without the MP3 Radio is made up of 2 or 3 (depending on the year I think..) connectors that plug into the cassette, Single Disc CD, or 6-Disc CD stereo.

The MP3 radio is a Single connector put on by ford at the time the car is built. You will have to do some very creative wiring, and get an antenna adapter, in order to put the MP3 Radio into the Dash.

I don't have all the information, but you need to get a ford harness, the radio removal tool, I think a VW Radio Harness, a VW ant adapter, and then you will need to solder some wires a little differently in-order for it to work.

It sounds like a lot of work but . . . [8]

Ahh, who am I kidding, I have no life and a lot of time on my hands.. IT IS A LOT OF WORK!!!

DUDE SERIOUSLY !! The Radio is cool but it's going to be a pain in the [bootyshak to put the thing in.. If you have the time and the patients and the $$$ you can do it...

Ebay is the best place to find the radio cause if you go to Ford Service Dept. and try and get the thing they will take you out back and [spank] you!!! They will either tell you they can't sell it, or ask somewhere around $850 for the thing.

All the connections, and adapters you can get from any Radio Shop for usually $40-$50 for everything... The Removal tools you can buy there also, or you can make them your self with a metal coat-hanger and a pair of good LinesMen Pliers. (*EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED HELP MAKING THIS !!! I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP WITH THIS KIND OF STUFF*)

Once you have everything you need, and you get all the stuff set up, the rest of the installation is easy. Just plug it in and hook it up...

·
Registered
13 Posts
SVT...

So we've established that it's a little (a lot) on the difficult side to re-wire an MP3 into a model that wasn't using it before...

Has anyone actually done this? I have an SVT that came with the 6Disc Audiophile package, and now have an MP3 player... and it looks like none of the plugs are correct at all... (or even remotely close)...

Anyone? :)

Thanks,
Christopher

·
Registered
13 Posts
Harness

I actually bought a harness from the person you're referring to... had no idea that the SVT had a different set of connectors tho... so I sent him an e-mail this morning asking if he made a harness for the SVT as well (he's still a bit backlogged with new harnesses now)... so we'll see.

I'll post an update once I know...

Btw - the Cobra is very nice... it's my wife's daily driver, (I get to play with it occasionally tho) it's not quite as refined as the 01 Z06 I had previously, but more of a driver's car... no fancy computers or anything like that ;)

-Christopher

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But with a few simple upgrade that Cobra could easily break 600 hp which in my books is pretty damn fast!

Since I have the ZX3 I guess I could get one. Never knew the SVT had different connectors myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts