Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I am going to be starting a new job in NJ. I will be working in Maplewood. I know that area is pricey so commuting is definatly ok. Where should I look to live? When I was last out there I stayed in Edison and it was nice (Close to Hwys, Shopping). Im just looking for an Apt for now till the girlfriend decides to join me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
jersey = the dark side of the force
PA = the light side of the force

don't do it!!1!1!!!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Personally, I would look more towards Morristown instead of Edison. Edison never rubbed me right. But then again, I'm not fond of that part of Jersey. I would suggest looking more west and north of Maplewood, and see if you can find anything there you can afford. But thats just me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jersey isnt the best in my book, but the money is definatly right. I really need to take a weekend vacation out there and look around. Im headin to Audubon for some paperwork and physical next week, but that is nowhere near where I should look for a place to live. Edison was ok, I spent nearly a month in a hotel there so I know the area a lil bit. Im just hoping someone on one of these forums I am on will say "My parents have a place...." or something. I guess sometime in the next month I will go check out the sights in Jersey.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Jersey Rocks Bitches!!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was born in Union lived there until I was 20. Anywhere up that way is going to be pricey. Good places: Union, the Kenilworth side is better, my side is going down hill. Morristown, Summit is really nice. Springfield, Kenilworth, Roselle Park( might be a little dodgy), Cranford is nice, Mountainside, Westfield, Short Hills is really nice( but that is where all the money is), Watchung, Livinston, Hillside,Caldwell. Places to avoid: Elizabeth, the Vauxhall section of Union, any of the Oranges, Newark, Bloomfield. North Jersey is weird you can go from rich, to middle, class, back to rich, back to middle class, then straight to the ghetto in 30 miles. If you go up to my old town stop in Union ask someone how to get to The Galloping Hill Inn at Five Points for hot dogs. You will have the best hot dogs on the east coast bar none, and Cioffi's for pizza. If you have any questions just PM me. It may take me a while to get back to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks focusonit! I will definatly check out Galloping Hill Inn and Cioffi's. Im planning on going out in about two weeks to scope apts out and see what I can find. Hopefully I can find something decent. Its tough for me to spend 700 plus on a place being that here I can buy a NICE AZZ house for that much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear you. I am shelling out 725, but my utilitires are included. The place is nice not too bad of a deal. My only advice would be to stay away from the big apartment buildings and try to find a small one or a house that is sub divided. Just get a good sense of the landlord a talk to other tenants. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Edison can be VERY pricey but it is a great town. I should know. I grew up there. Excellent schools, lots of apartment/condo choices and plenty of shopping. The key is to stay towards the north end of town or even look into Metuchen which wasn't too far from where you were staying (Bonhamtown/Clara Barton area). I'll PM you with some of the nicer complexes in the North Edison area. I still get a kick outta the fact that I moved from NJ out to Central PA and you are moving from Central PA to NJ. Lemme know when you are back in the Garden State and I'll be sure to show you around Edison.

BTW, I'm Black03ZX3 on teh 'Jet just in case you were wondering...

·
Registered
24 Posts
maplewood!? I live in maplewood... deffff expensive to live in this town tho. who are you working for in maplewood??

as for living here, you can save tons of money by not living in essex county.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts