Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

It's been forever, but I finally have a garage to work on my car in again, so I'm back! And the first order of business to to build a bracket to hold my maf tube still in its DIY short-ram application.

I've got the thing designed and fabricated, but I'm a bit up in the air on one thing: what's the best way to mount some flat steel bar to the metal underneath where the stock air box used to sit?

Should I go for self-tapping screws? Nuts and bolts would be a pain; I can't reach the other side of the metal easily. Welding would be awesome but it's outside my capabilities.

Bonus: is there a heat-resistant version of weather stripping, for use inside an engine bay?

Thanks in advance, everyone. =)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For one idea, see what you can find in a "riv-nut" type fastener.

Used to fit a permanent nut insert in a blind hole through sheet metal, it's a top hat shaped piece that drops in. Bolt w/washers is used to draw the back nut up expanding it tight against the back of the metal. Remove the installation hdwe. and you've got a small round section that sits above the surrounding metal on top with the threaded hole in the center.

For soft mounting there's a similar item in rubber with a brass nut in it. Sized right that's nice to use & works well in plastic as well. No setting in place needed.

Ended up with a couple ideas, some variant of this type might do the trick for you.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sailor, thanks! I hadn't thought of those. That actually sounds ideal; I'd like something that'll leave a clean look in the event that I decide to remove this bracketry later. (I'm holding off as long as I can on dropping the $250 for a Steeda SRI, since I have one that's essentially identical... someday my resolve will wear thin though, I'm sure.)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
The Pop Rivet company also makes some quickly installing rivets that can then take like 6- or 8- machine screws, or you can simply use sheet metal screws if metal thick enough, 1/16th" or even less would do it. The key to screws that hold forever is proper drill size, mike the sheet metal screw at the minimum diameter of the body and size for a hole up to .005" smaller than the screw minimum body and then find the appropriate drill bit that does that size hole. The screws self tap as they go in and if you use common sense and not overtighten they will last the life of the car in grip even after being removed 2-3 times and reinstalled. Take care to provide for how far screw goes through metal on the other side.........

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMC49,

I was thinking of using sheet metal screws or speed clips, but the metal I'm attaching to isn't very thick at all. I actually went with well nuts, because a sort of "soft mount" is a bit desirable, in this application. My install .gif is coming to the Duratec Performance board soon. =)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Hey, whatever works................more than one way to skin the cat and you should see my cat............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts