Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in process of mounting my 'new-ish' rear SAP spoiler on my 07 hatch.
This spoiler has 3 hardware mountings. 2 in the top and one to the right of the 3rd brake light. I have the two top holes drilled. My problem is the one by the 3rd brake light. I assumed I would be able to reach in to place a nut on the stud via the hole for the 3rd brake light. But the distance is to far. That leaves me with drilling a hole inside the hatch metal, but that would require a huge hole to get enough arc to run a wrench. I need to know how others have done this in the past. Or should I just depend in the tape. My other thought was, Does this stud even require a nut? It's purpose to to prevent the spoiler being lifted vertically.
I got about 4 hours to finish this up.
Thanks!

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
If its what you said , just like a guide hole and you have the other secure . I wouldn't worry to much about it . That double sided 3 m tape will do the trick at holding it in place .

Look at all the vent visors on cars that just use that 3 m tape running over 70 and 80 mph . So I think you'll be just fine .

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the late response, I was under the gun there. I had a must attend dinner engagement at 5pm, and ran into the problem. I will tell you right up front, I screwed it up, But Jesus loves me I know because I screwed it up perfectly. I will explain. Error 1: I had made a scribing tool from a bolt who's use is to scribe or mark the center of the stud on the OEM spoiler. this point is where you drill. But, Somehow, a 5mm bolt got into the 6mm bin, and I did not catch it. This resulted in the center drill point being to far to the right and the spoiler would not fit. Error 2: Cut me some slack here plz as the temp in garage is ~+120f. I found the right sized stud, but running out of time (that dinner date), I did not make a scribing tool. I taped up the back of the spoiler for the stud to mark and drilled again. Spoiler did not fit. That is when I realized that the stud does not engage the OEM spoiler at 90 degrees. Hence, the stud needs a slot. I tape off the appropriate area and using a side cutting tool in my dremel I route the metal. The hole shape now looks like a well executed 'L'. The stud enters at the top of the 'L', but when fully seated, it is at the bottom of the 'L'. This is why I know Jesus truly loves me. I mount the spoiler and the top holes are not lining up, there a bit to much to the left. I press down on the spoiler (the hatch is open somewhat for this maneuver) and push right, and the stud pops over into the lower bottom right of the 'L' locking into position. The top holes are now lined up perfectly. I have a positive 3 way mechanical lock. I take it off, prep the 3M tape and again, Jesus loves me because that stuff is sticky, the surface has been prepped to aid adhesion, If it just touches the car it wants to stay put, and the garage is a sauna (in the shade the thermometer says 96f), but somehow, I was able to insert, pop, slide, press and bolt by myself. I vacuumed, cleaned, vacuumed (lots of metal bits everywhere) and reassembled the rear hatch interior in 15 minutes. We made our dinner date. While I was there, the tail end of the car just happened to be facing west and I was for the 1st time able to see my work in good light and with some distance to appraise the angles. Note I had done this in my garage which has pretty crappy lighting (measured ten times, drill once). I am very pleased to say ' I nailed it'. This thing is dead center, right to left, forward to back. And, due to the hot weather, the tape is curing up very nicely. No squeaks or rattles. The only issue I have to deal with is I got the wrong size caps to cover the interior holes which is minor. I am a happy camper for sure! Thanks for the timely response. Pics when I can (bit dark here now). [wiggle]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts