Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Ti finishes a disappointing last despite slaying the field in RealMPG and braking. Great marks in Price as Tested and Figure 8 and a decent 0.25 mile time despite the poor 0 to 60 times.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1411_the_big_test_2014_2015_hatchbacks/
I was confused by the outcome as well. Seems their biggest gripes with the Focus were the DCT and the lever for putting the back seats down, yet they loved everything else.

They slammed the Nissan and said they couldn't really recommend it due to the poor crash test rating, yet somehow it finished 3rd? Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
MT has never liked the focus' DCT or MFT. I'm not surprised given the other cars now have upgraded engines with out it being a high performance model.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've seen many a car review over the years where the individual marks don't justify the overall ranking. And I would ask the reviewers this question: if the Focus is indeed ranked near the bottom, how come it was the number one selling car in the world in 2013?

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
No car rag likes the DCT or MFT plus the Focus is growing a little long in the tooth and really hasn't changed much since 2012 compared to the other updated cars. 8.4 to 60 is pretty slow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No car rag likes the DCT or MFT plus the Focus is growing a little long in the tooth and really hasn't changed much since 2012 compared to the other updated cars. 8.4 to 60 is pretty slow.
I'm pretty sure the MTX75 equipped Focus does 0-60 in 7.1. Not the fastest in the category, but not the slowest either.
I don't remember the DCT number, but it may be the 8.4 you quoted.

·
Registered
197 Posts
And I would ask the reviewers this question: if the Focus is indeed ranked near the bottom, how come it was the number one selling car in the world in 2013?
Same reason McDonald's is the worlds largest restaurant chain.
Most popular does not always end up being the best.

But then again, we are only talking about Motor Trends opinion. They hardly know what the best car is for me and for most of the other members here.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm pretty sure the MTX75 equipped Focus does 0-60 in 7.1. Not the fastest in the category, but not the slowest either.
8.4 is the slowest I've seen. Last year they did 8.1 with a DCT sedan SFE model. Placed fifth in their test of six. Their main gripe was DCT and the console. Always seen the 5-spd in the 7.5-7.7 area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen many a car review over the years where the individual marks don't justify the overall ranking. And I would ask the reviewers this question: if the Focus is indeed ranked near the bottom, how come it was the number one selling car in the world in 2013?
Same car available in many markets under the same name made it best selling nameplate globally, but it does not mean it was the top selling car in its segment in all the markets its sold in.

One of the Focus' most common issues (globally) is its dual-clutch Powershift transmission, specifically the dry-clutch system used on the gasoline(petrol) models.
Of course this became an issue in markets that normally prefer automatic transmissions.

PS: Any news regarding Ford's Powershift for petrpl/gasoline engines?
Is it moving to a wet clutch system?

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
The Focus is barely a top 20 seller here in america. Hyundai, Kia and the Toyota Corolla all are outselling the Focus this year.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Yup...
At present, Getrag supplies its dry clutch 6DCT250 to both Renault and Ford, and Volvo also employs it on the V30 and some of its current mid-sized models. It is expected that Getrag will replace this unit with a wet clutch version offering greater torque capacity and, possibly, seven rather than six speeds. This will complete Getrag’s move away from dry clutch DCTs, leaving only Fiat, with its high-torque D635, and Volkswagen, with its seven-speed DQ200, as providers of dry clutch transmissions.

The new wet clutch replacement being mentioned is the 7DCT300 seven-speed.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
But then again, we are only talking about Motor Trends opinion. They hardly know what the best car is for me and for most of the other members here.
[thumb] I would say they Motor Trend or any person giving their opinion on a particular vehicle, has zero knowledge of what the best car for me is.

The relevance of the way reviews are written nowadays for me is zero.
The only relevance I can see is that they contribute to creating pissing matches
with their readers.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
No news for North America yet. My guess is the dry dual clutch in North American Focus 2.0L will stay until the MK 4 launches in 2017.

In Europe Ford has chosen to use in the 2015 Focus, the 6F35 6 speed automatic with the 1.0L 125hp EcoBoost and 1.5L 150hp & 180hp EcoBoost.
The 6F35 is the same transmission used in your Escape and Fusion.

Getrag said they will continue to produce the 6DCT250 Powershift to 2021.

Getrag has said the replacement DCT as mentioned above by ElCouz , for the 6DCT250 powershift will be a new 7 speed wet clutch aka 7DCT300, for Focus size vehicles.
The wet clutch replacement for smaller vehicles like the Fiesta is the 6speed 6DCT150.
Whether Ford North America chooses to use these is anybodies guess.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I stopped reading when I saw the test parameters. Comparing turbocharged cars to a normally aspirated MK3 Focus shows either bias or poor study construction. Had they compared these other POS cars to an ST, might they have had a different opinion regarding performance? Of course they sidestepped that by eliminating manual transmissions from the test.

I have driven all of these cars and would not trade any of them for the MK3.

Strictly regarding the powertrain and not the body style, when you make an apples to apples comparison between cars in this segment, the horsepower figures look more like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
No news for North America yet. My guess is the dry dual clutch in North American Focus 2.0L will stay until the MK 4 launches in 2017.

In Europe Ford has chosen to use in the 2015 Focus, the 6F35 6 speed automatic with the 1.0L 125hp EcoBoost and 1.5L 150hp & 180hp EcoBoost.
The 6F35 is the same transmission used in your Escape and Fusion.

Getrag said they will continue to produce the 6DCT250 Powershift to 2021.

Getrag has said the replacement DCT as mentioned above by ElCouz , for the 6DCT250 powershift will be a new 7 speed wet clutch aka 7DCT300, for Focus size vehicles.
The wet clutch replacement for smaller vehicles like the Fiesta is the 6speed 6DCT150.
Whether Ford North America chooses to use these is anybodies guess.
Interesting. I wonder if the next gen Fiesta and Focus for the ASEAN/Asia-Pacific region will get wet-clutch DCTs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since Ipecac of Syrup was discontinued, I keep a copy of Motor Trend in the medicine cabinet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
No. Quite a few other testers have pegged the DCT at 0-60 in 7.6 secs. The manual a few 10th quicker even. 8.4 secs? no way. My old 1986 Dodge Omni did 0-60 in 8.5 secs with a 2.2L 110 hp. Yeah I know the Omni was lighter, but your still talking a 50 hp difference. I've easily pulled away from the Elantras with the 148 hp 1.8l's and I think they have been quoted as 0-60 mph in 8.3 secs.

As far as the twitchy steering, sounds like they got a tester with bad steering. When I first bought my Focus it was doing the same thing until it was fixed at the dealer. Been fine for years now.

As far as interior, I think the Focus still has one of the best looking dash set ups, only Volkswagen beats it IMO.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Once again Motor trend shows its dislike for Ford.

A couple issues back they declared the Camaro as a better car than the new Mustang, in part because it was something like .01 seconds faster around a race track (like that means anything in the real world)

Then they picked the Dodge as being the better pickup over the new (and class leading) F150.

For their car of the year they chose the VW Golf (great car BTW) over the new Mustang

And now for the Truck of the year they pick the Chevy Colorado as the winner over the F150 (which didn't even make the final cut) for reasons that are hard to understand. I guess because its smaller and cheaper was enough innovation for them to declare it the winner. The little Chevy also beat out the all new Transit Van.

All of the car magazines have become less relevant over the years (I am a 40+ year subscriber to Car and Driver among others) but MT has gone from bad to worse. Its hard not to see bias when you read some of their articles as they try to justify their picks. One thing for certain, Ford is a 4 letter word around MT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts