Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know many people here choose mobile 1 for their car. what kind does ford use? do i have to buy it from ford or what's the closet thing to stock motor oil?

·
Registered
467 Posts
ford oil is a synthetic blend 5w30 I have asked no one knows for sure who they get it from I have also been told they change supplyers every so often, and yes I also run the mobile 1 5w30

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Motorcraft oil I believe is what Ford uses. Basically any 5-30w oil (not synthetic) is a match to the oil that comes from Ford, if not better. Personally I use "Royal Purple" but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like shelling out 32 dollars an oil change, just for the oil.

·
Registered
467 Posts
sorry, you can use whatever oil you want as long as you still change it at fords recomended interviles, 3k or 5k, mine looks real dirty at 5k so I change it at 3k

·
Registered
370 Posts
im tellin yea man, royal purple is the best there is (to me and the studies ive seen) yea its alittle pricey, (i get 5 qts for 25.00) but if you dont have the hook up its about 32-38 dollars for 5 qts, but i would rather pay that and play really hard without worring if my oil is going to fail due to heat than pay 20.00 for a regular oil change and play hard for a while then spend about 5k on a new engine.

yea alot of people will tell you that oil is oil, they all do the same thing, but that is the most untrue thing ive ever heard, oil is probley the number one thing that determines the life of your engine, Look up everything you can find on Royal Purple and youll see what i mean. good luck man,

oh and if this helps, i use Royal purple 5w30 (4 1\2qts) and a K&N oil filter, just because there the best and with the double wall anti collapse feature just another thing not to worry about, there about 12 bucks from autozone.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use RP too. Great stuff. Regarding the KN though, I have one on at present but I have learned that the filter references the old 400S part number. The new filter design is FL-2005 I believe (correct anti-drain valve and 92% efficiency, compared to 80% with the old). That is what I will be using on my next oil change. And RP of course.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
02SVTscreamin said:
oh and if this helps, i use Royal purple 5w30 (4 1\2qts) and a K&N oil filter, just because there the best and with the double wall anti collapse feature just another thing not to worry about, there about 12 bucks from autozone.

I just got rid of the K&N and couldn't happier. The K&N had a poor anti-drain back valve that would let the car drain the oil back into the pan after sitting for a while. Now that is worse than using crappy oil in the first place.

I have never tried Royal Purple but I hear allot of good things about it. Right now I use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30. Can by a 5 gallon jug from the demon Wallmart for about $20. Motorcraft FL-2005 filter. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree FL-2005 will k&n buy you an engine if it fails(maybe after months of bs)ford and many other waranty companies frown on aftermarket filters they are too generic who knows what else a filter is made for and maybe it just hapens to fit your car, it fits but does it do the best job for your make and model?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The K&N and Mobil-1 filters seem basically the same internally. Last time I checked Autozone, the book there says there is a Mobil-1 filter for the SVTF. The M1-211. I'll pass on the price though ($10) and stick with the Motorcraft FL-2005.

Currently using Castrol 0w30 synthetic. Been using it for the last 3 changes. I tried Neo 0w5 but I have read from the oil forums that there is quite of bit of lead in it which can foul up the cat. $10/qt puts a dent in the wallet too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have someone else change your oil, make sure they use 5w30. I've caught my dealer using 5w20 which is for standard Focus. My manual(2003 SVT) says to use the FL-400s filter. The FL-2005 is also for the standard Focus.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've used both the FL-400s and FL-2005. Now I'm using the FL-1A, which is much bigger and can hold an extra 1/2 quart. I've also used mobile 5-30 for the last 76k miles, changing it every 5k. Next move is mocal oil cooler.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I emailed K&N about oil filter for the SVT, their Technical Support Department emailed back saying "At this time we have not released a replacement filter oil for your vehicle."
So I would check with them before putting a K&N on.

I use RP with Motorcraft FL-2005.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another oil question forum, about time.

Mobil 1 10w30 here in Sacramento valley and either Motorcraft FL910s or H&N HP1002, both using FilterMag and changed every 5k miles.

Had FilterMag on at 494 miles, Duratec aluminum block and heads, the amount of ferrous material was just as the FilterMag website claims! I was amazed and a total FilterMag believer.

Yes I know I do not have a SVT Focus, but I felt it necessary to input. Thanks all!

·
Registered
124 Posts
i use the quaker Q high rev 5 30 and it seems to work better than the mobil one i used before. for filter id use wix or puralator they have the highest ratings

·
Registered
450 Posts
dosent wix make oil filters for motorcraft?

Anyways, i changed the oil today and threw in 5-30 mobil 1 EP and an fl-2005 motorcraft filter (per svt manual), im suprised mobil 1 dosent make filters for the svt [:(], i usually run their filters too. good stuff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i've been changing my oil with the motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend that they tell me is recommended by ford...i figure it's fine would mobil 1 synth make a worthwhile difference tho?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts