Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im changing my motor oil today on my 2000 zx3 with 96k miles on the original and internally untouched motor. its cold around here now and i only use synthetic oil on my baby but even tho its my baby i beat it a pretty good bit. it probably will see 5000rpm+ at least once or twice every time i drive it, i cant help myself. what im wondering is what engine oil would be best for me to put in it this time of year to get the most performance possible out of it while helping protect it from the cold. what do you guys generally use? also im going to drop the oil pan for kicks and giggles to see if there is anything in there that shouldnt be. its been about 15k miles since the last time i checked it. since its gonna be off any1 know if there is a performance gasket worth spending some extra $ on?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Red Line, although it is expensive.....But seriously Mobil 1 or any other reputable name would probably be fine, as long as you change it regularly. Only in race applications will oil selection be a greater issue.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
If you really want to do ur engine good, use amsoil.

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
Royal Purple <3

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i meant to say was what weight motor oil would be best to use this time of year? didnt get around to changing the oil today. i went to take a nap on the sofa at 11 this morning and woke up at 8 and its dark outside. man work killed me last night and now the sofa killed my neck today.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From the look of it you live in NC which is not much different from VA weather so I say that 10W-30 should do the trick. The weather doesnt get much colder than 20 degrees on average. I use RP and it works great.

·
Banned
143 Posts
in australia, ford specifies 5w30.

if its very cold then definately use a 5w-something or even a 0w-somthing, which would offer better cold startup protection but you might get some leakage problems with such a thin oil. apart from that just get any reputable synthetic and you will be fine. like racerfan said for a road car there isnt much in it. it only makes a real difference on race cars that are running constantly at 8000rpm.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i might have been holding back a little about the rpms and how often i bash the motor. its actually more often and higher. what can i say? im an addict to speed. sets off the same pleasure centers in the brain as gambling drinking doing drugs or sex for that matter. it just tends to have a smaller mess to clean up afterwards even though if you do it too much it can be a little more expensive at times... perhaps ive said too much. going with royal purple. thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
There is no "performance" gasket...or any gasket for that matter...for the oil pan. It requires silicone. I use the stuff from Ford, but we have it laying around everywhere here at work.

As far as oil goes, just search. There are tons of oil threads. Everyones going to tell you to use RP, Mobil 1, or Amsoil. Just make sure you change it every 3k-5k and you'll be fine. Thats also another touchy subject on change intervals with synthetic, but again, search and you'll come across that too.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Amsoil only requires you to change your oil twice a year when used with their Ea series filters.

Check my link in my sig for synthetic information and comparative tests conducted by a third party.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i use super tech "high milage"....cant go wrong with wal-mart...lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been beating the proverbial horse for years on this board and it's annoying every 10 threads is what oil is best for me?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay now kids chill. the search button IS your friend but what would happen if everything we talked about had already been covered so every1 always used the search button and no1 posted anymore? the forum would be dead! its up to the morons like me to keep this forum alive!

·
Registered
666 Posts
i use super tech "high milage"....cant go wrong with wal-mart...lol
No wonder ford users report so many problems..... [rolleyes]

Royal purple <3

·
Registered
921 Posts
Believe it or not, Super Tech is one of the better full synthetics you can buy. It gives Mobil a run for its money.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Believe it or not, Super Tech is one of the better full synthetics you can buy. It gives Mobil a run for its money.
We always get what we pay for and with its very low price, I firmly believe that Walmart, "synthetic oil", is merely a Group III, "synthetic oil", which is just a petroleum oil subjected to more refining. Mobil 1 is a top quality Group IV synthetic oil and in my opinion will far outperform the cheap made from petroleum oil stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We always get what we pay for and with its very low price, I firmly believe that Walmart, "synthetic oil", is merely a Group III, "synthetic oil", which is just a petroleum oil subjected to more refining. Mobil 1 is a top quality Group IV synthetic oil and in my opinion will far outperform the cheap made from petroleum oil stuff.
Well said!

I also prefer the Mobil-1 5w30.
I also use Mobil-1 full synthetic ATF fluid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts