Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 SVT 4 door

Best motor mounts?

I've had the car 5 years and we've replaced one twice already (one aftermarket, one OEM) and another was replaced once. At least one is weak again and we'll do all three this time.

Daily driver for the most part, I keep it out of the snow but do take trips with it (mountainous backroads)

I'm more interesting in longevity over stiffness or performance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I went with an aftermarket rear motor mount but it's discontinued from CFM Performance and replaced the passenger/serpentine side with new Ford OEM.

I have not replaced or upgraded the transmission mount [under the battery/intake assembly].
10 years on the CFM one & 4 years on the OEM replacement with zero issue... 18 years [Original] Transmission mount [2004]

FSWerks & Steeda would be the only two places that seem to still carry aftermarket/performance SVTF mounts.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks! Is there any reason not to do OEM? I have to check and see if the OEM replacement is one that's failing now - we just figured we'd do them all at this point.
They're no longer available.

The road mounts from here are also a good option, and less NVH than Steeda/VF:

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,294 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow, yeah it's a little pricey at $290... for the transmission mount.

I'm curious about the transmission mount since mine is original... & you all have had some good luck with it versus OEM.

I tried to see where this company is at... guessing somewhere in the UK, right?

Plus what was the time-frame when you ordered...
Initially says $15 shipping... which is cheap if it's crossing the pond too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The "Euro/UK" companies have standards to adhere to aka Quality-Assurance including TUV standards...
So I have confidence in Euro parts in general...

Don't get me wrong, Steeda/VF is quality stuff too.... Sorta comes down to preference but yes there will be NVH... but in these cars it's not an issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The "Euro/UK" companies have standards to adhere to aka Quality-Assurance including TUV standards...
So I have confidence in Euro parts in general...

Don't get me wrong, Steeda/VF is quality stuff too.... Sorta comes down to preference but yes there will be NVH... but in these cars it's not an issue.
Why do you say it's not an issue?

I have no issue with UK parts, I bought a ton for my old EGT as they were better than anything we could find here. Just the price difference will really add up over three mounts.

We've replaced one mount twice but the other two are likely stock and one seems to be failing now.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Wow, yeah it's a little pricey at $290... for the transmission mount.

I'm curious about the transmission mount since mine is original... & you all have had some good luck with it versus OEM.

I tried to see where this company is at... guessing somewhere in the UK, right?

Plus what was the time-frame when you ordered...
Initially says $15 shipping... which is cheap if it's crossing the pond too.
When I ordered mine I initially saw the mounts on Burton Power in the UK but they won't ship to the US. I ordered directly from Vibra Technics and received my mounts in a week. On my other SVT I'm going to use the Vibra Technics passenger side mount only. The transmission mount I will fill a regular mount from rockauto with urethane and call it good. Anti roll I will use a Duraflex kit on a stock mount.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hell that's a huge price difference for non-competition ones! :(

Just how much vibration will the Steeda/VF give over stock?
A lot. Mine has all 3 and all the mirrors vibrate at all, interior plastics, etc. Can feel significant NVH through the steering wheel. This car also has most panels with added felt tape and significant sound deadening, and it's a loosing battle.

Garbage, avoid!!

Only issue I have is the waiting game for the goodies to arrive from across the pond...

Last batch of parts that arrived from the UK...

View attachment 315091
Nice! I have a few Airtec parts on my RS. Nice stuff. I have their coolant hose kit on the SVT.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok let me see if I've figured everything out. :)

OEM is best but not available

Steeda and FSWerks have some but they are stiffer

Vibra-Technics has a set that are not as stiff as Steeda/FSWerks but holy pricing

Burton doesn't ship overseas, but if they did they have something (is the ST170 the same as our SVT?)

Can we mix Vibra and OEM?

IIRC at least one of them is rebuildable with new bushings but I am guessing those will be stiffer than stock too.

<whew>

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Ok let me see if I've figured everything out. :)

OEM is best but not available

Steeda and FSWerks have some but they are stiffer

Vibra-Technics has a set that are not as stiff as Steeda/FSWerks but holy pricing

Burton doesn't ship overseas, but if they did they have something (is the ST170 the same as our SVT?)

Can we mix Vibra and OEM?

IIRC at least one of them is rebuildable with new bushings but I am guessing those will be stiffer than stock too.

<whew>

Thanks!
If you want low NVH, go with a vibratechnics passenger side mount only. Mix and match the other 2. The Vibra Technics is worth the money imho. NVH with just the passenger mount is as good as stock. I initially ran mine with a stock transmission mount and stock anti roll.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts