Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have according to my mechanic(I've seen three) and by the awful noise I hear when I put the car in drive and idle, that I have some bad motor mounts. Now I've had one mechanic tell me it will cost up to $300 to replace all the mounts. That is just ridiculous I feel..so I'm going to do it myself because I have socket wrenches, a jack and jack stands.

My question is; what do I buy? The car has 3 mounts two up top passenger and driver and one rear underneath the car. Am I correct in saying this.

Now are all three mounts the same, question being do I buy three of the same product? Or are they different?

First instinct says the two up top are the same and one below different. That being the case what do I buy and if anyone has advice on the repair please feel free to share.

These are the two mounts I think I need...please confirm
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2002-Ford-Focus/Motor-Mount/_/N-jhcotZ8ii2i?filterByKeyWord=motor+mount&fromString=search

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Torque-Strut-Mount-Anchor_20300246-P_27_R|GRPENGPAMS_1165863865____

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
All three are different. Stay away from the aftermarket stock brands. They could last years, or they could last a month. I think everyone on this forum has had that experience. Go with the Ford mounts. You'll pay more, but they'll last. Your link shows the passenger mount, and dogbone (Torque mount). You'll need the transmission/drivers side mount. Here's a link for all three. At the bottom are the stock mounts.
http://focus.c-f-m.com/bushingsmounts.aspx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks and where is the drivers side transmission mount? Is that replaced the same way as the others? Any diagrams?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you go to advance auto parts they will show you the location of each motor mount. They have a location diagram for them. Also if you have triple A you get a 10 percent discount.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Driver side mount is beneath the air box that houses the air filter. Once the cover is off the bottom half just pulls out, some rubber grommets.

The pass side mount definitely Ford OEM.
The verdict is still out on the other two, you can go aftermarket and should be alright. OEM is better but others will do fine.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I've only heard of problems with the Anchor aftermarket hydraulic front (p. side) engine mount. I've not heard of any problems with the other Anchor mounts. Check out Rock Auto.com, and look in our Vendor Deals, Group Buys, and Special Discount forum for the Rock Auto thread to get an additional 5%. If you price the Anchor mount there, you can get all 3 for the cost of just one at your local store. Like mentioned above, you don't really want the front engine mount from Anchor, you want the Motorcraft part. I do think that RA sells that one as well. Now if you go to their site look for the mounts under these headings Front- filed under Engine: Motor Mount. Lower- Engine: Torque Strut mount. Rear- Transmission: Transmission Mount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just did my passenger side mount. Looked at the NAPA part for $100 and purchased the OEM Ford from dealer for $150. Worth it. Easy job, I used the car's scissor's jack w/ a 2x6 directly under the pan [wood to pan contact]. Rubber on old original mount was 1 1/2" shorter than new mount. Have not done driver's side. Jack is to support engine, I maybe elevated the engine 1-2 inches. Good instructions on HOW-TO-archive and there are some YouTube videos that are good. Need a 15mm and 18 or 19mm deep socket, extensions. Need 10mm to get the coolant reservoir out of the way. Torque wrench helps, 3 bolts to body 35-37 ft-lbs and 2 engine nuts to 65-66 ft-lbs. BIG difference, the sag made engine parts vibrate against heat shield, now much quieter, smoother running. If you have the part in hand the job should not take more than 1 1/2 hours tops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts