Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was checking my fluids and I noticed that my right upper motor mount was a little off. The bolts and everything appear to be secure and stable but the "cap" on the mount was lifted a little. I was able to push it down and pop it back in place and every looks okay now. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what was it and how major is it? Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
You forgot to list your car year, model, mileage. Yes, the passenger side motor mount failure might be the most common, most talked about item on this forum. Replacing it at home is pretty easy. ONLY use a Ford brand replacement.

Edit: You can Search and find many threads, but here is one post from today->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465121
Talks about dogbone mount, not the passenger side motor mount

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2000 Focus SE. I have a question for you with that top "cap" being loose does that effect the stability of the mount/motor? I know I need to change it ASAP, but can it wait a few days or so?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
NO, your fine, order it soon, getter-done'.

BTW, if your engine falls out later today = I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You could look under that cap to check the condition of the rubber diaphragm underneath. It should be "squishy" with fluid if still functional. Torn/dry it's given up a while ago.

Cap popping off is often a sign it's shot & excessive movement popped the protective cap off.

Only a few have reported breakage from driving over large bumps with a bad mount, so avoid jumping the RXR tracks and you should be fine until you get it replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Sailor. How long would you say it could last if it is going or has gone bad? I know sooner the better, but what do you think? Also, have you ever replaced a bad upper right mount on a 2000 focus or similar vehicle?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thank you Sailor. How long would you say it could last if it is going or has gone bad? I know sooner the better, but what do you think? Also, have you ever replaced a bad upper right mount on a 2000 focus or similar vehicle?
How old is your car? I'd just replace it w/ a motorcraft mount asap. Don't try an gamble on it, or you'll have bigger issues.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm with Marde & Felix on fixing it as soon as you can if it's gone bad.

Just added some info. for you to help check it out & determine that (in the odd case that the cap might have come off without the mount being shot yet).

Belt & suspenders - confirm it's bad from appearance/movement/vibrations then fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I checked it last I did not notice any excessive movement or vibration. The belts and everything seem to be okay. I felt under the mount and I did not feel anything that was out of the norm. The plan is to replace the mount payday, which is next Friday. Hopefully it holds up until then.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sounds like it's not too bad then, and you're catching it at the first warning sign.

Should be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sailor thank you for all your help. It sounds like you been doing this for a while now. I'm just thankful it's the upper mount and fairly easy to see and to get to. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
The plastic cap just protects the bladder top and not even necessary, I drive around without them all the time. Simply snaps on and can easily come off and go through your belts to tear up as well as the bladder top itself, and more damage when that happens, as it is made of steel ring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts