Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to replace my motor mounts and I'd like to hear what you guys think of the various aftermarket versions.

I have 96,000 on the originals. The passenger side looked fine when I changed the timing belt last month, but I have noticed some symptoms of sloppiness. Reading this forum leads me to believe I should change the mounts; sounds like bottoming on dips - read here that might be the engine bottoming on the mounts, and of course the jerkiness in shifting from the the lower mount.

It's a daily driver and if I could get rid of the sloppiness without getting too much vibration I'd prefer that. Thanks.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd for sure add a VF engineering's dogbone= lower motor mount, or roll restictor. That's the one that reduce's the roll of the motor, being east west= FWD, instead of noth south=RWD, if you will. That get's you a alloy piece w/ poly bushing's. You will notice the shift's are better too. You are going to have slight vib's at idle thou, but not near as much as I do w/ a 23 w/ no balance shaft's= BSD plug & windage tray.

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
go stock except for dog bone if you put hi performance you will deffinetly not like the feel
like your in a roller coaster so i would go stock

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 for the poly dog bone. If you go with a stock style engine and trans mount, don't skimp. I have had horrible luck with parts store engine mounts and am thinking about going with poly just to get a stout part.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I'd do all three mounts. The vibration is not that bad. I'll bet the passenger mount lost its hydraulic fluid a long time ago with over 95 k on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hydraulic fluid? I had no idea. I thought it was just a regular rubber and metal mount. I had it off when I changed the timing belt and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I guess I'll take a closer look at them, but definitely going to do the dog bone thing soon.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've found that if you would like to preserve the lack of vibrations - go with OEM Motocraft replacement mounts. The passenger mount without the bracket is about $180 and the dogbone is about $80. I don't know how much the trans mount is but I'd guess close to $200. All three are cake to replace and can be done in a driveway with basic hand tools.

All part-store variety OEM replacement mounts are made in china junk. They will NOT last. If vibrations don't concern you, go with aftermarket performance mounts like solid or poly mounts offered by CFM or VF. They will be similar in price but they will NOT isolate engine vibrations. Expect everything that can squeek or rattle to do so.

I also recommend all mounts are replaced at the same time. If the RH mount fails it will take out a dogbone and visa-versa. If I where you I'd shop around for a good discount at a Ford dealer, write them a check for all three Motocraft mounts and install them myself on a clear weekend afternoon. This will get you the best parts, with the best feel for the lowest price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I generally prefer to use Motorcraft, and most of the time when I get parts for this car the parts are made in USA, Canada, GB or Germany, but when I recently replaced my rear brakes the Motorcraft rotors I got from Rock Auto were made in China. I was really surprised. They're working fine, and the price was good, but it was a surprise.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure and I would wait for a definate response, but I think driverside mount bolts to the transmission and the svt has a different transmission. i'm kind of curious now myself

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I would say they are the same. That looks like the one eom mount I took off my car. Besides vf engineering makes a drivers poly mount for 00-10 focus, non-specified.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks guys, I ordered one from RockAuto at a great price, $11.67!

Way better than the dealer asking $70!

I don't think they are different mounts, RockAuto lists the same part for an SVT or non-SVT.

Thanks again

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks guys, I ordered one from RockAuto at a great price, $11.67!

Way better than the dealer asking $70!

I don't think they are different mounts, RockAuto lists the same part for an SVT or non-SVT.

Thanks again
Locating a part that fits is not an issue with this car. On the other hand, finding mounts that are worth a shit are, however. Congratulations, you just wasted $11 on a part and I'm willing to bet you spent almost that much on shipping. You get what you pay for dude. We look forward to calling you out on your ignorant nonsense in about two weeks when you post a thread about how your clunk noises have returned and you don't think it's a mount because you spend $11 on a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Locating a part that fits is not an issue with this car. On the other hand, finding mounts that are worth a shit are, however. Congratulations, you just wasted $11 on a part and I'm willing to bet you spent almost that much on shipping. You get what you pay for dude. We look forward to calling you out on your ignorant nonsense in about two weeks when you post a thread about how your clunk noises have returned and you don't think it's a mount because you spend $11 on a new one.
Whoa whoa whoa!

Ignorant nonsense? Are you mistaking me for 5.4ever? haha.

Now if you are chiding me for using an OEM part, instead of a VF mount or some other aftermarket part, that's fine.....

Or am I missing something else? Does Rock Auto sell crappy parts?

Teach me, Obiwan....
Thanks...[dunno]

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Man, is this turning into that other thread. Rock auto has good prices, but depends what brand stuff you get from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man, is this turning into that other thread. Rock auto has good prices, but depends what brand stuff you get from them.
I can totally own up to not doing enough research into the part/supplier....I saw RockAuto mentioned a couple times around here and thought the reviews were positive.

The part is made by AI, Anchor Industries. What's the consensus on their products?

Thanks

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
Thanks, I generally prefer to use Motorcraft, and most of the time when I get parts for this car the parts are made in USA, Canada, GB or Germany, but when I recently replaced my rear brakes the Motorcraft rotors I got from Rock Auto were made in China. I was really surprised. They're working fine, and the price was good, but it was a surprise.
Interesting, I just got some SVT shocks from the dealer and the rears are made in China, so it's not just Rock Auto.

I can totally own up to not doing enough research into the part/supplier....I saw RockAuto mentioned a couple times around here and thought the reviews were positive.

The part is made by AI, Anchor Industries. What's the consensus on their products?

Thanks
I can say Anchor mounts are junk, personally I would steer clear. I used to work on a fleet of Foci for a local autoparts delivery company and they just supplied their own replacement parts. I seen more than a few Anchor dogbones with torn rubber and the passenger side mounts would fall apart and I saw one where the pieces tore up the serpentine belt. Old men drove these cars so they werent getting abused but they did rack up a lot of miles, the mounts would last two or three months.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts