Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys just like how the title says, i will need all the help i could get. unfortunatly i searched this section of the forum and couldn't find a "how to" take out the motor sort of thing.
my car is a 5 speed zetec, planning on opening on the oil pan to see what went wrong (i think i blew a rod) and possibily change the whole motor if not only the rod was needed to be changed.
thanks for all of ur positive and negative comments.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
I say your best bet, would be drop the motor out of the car. Thats one things I haven't swapped engines on is a front wheel drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i haven;t done a motor in teh past either so its my first, but iw as thinking it shouldn;t be too bad assuming if i disconnect the tranny, front axles, harnesses and all the collant and oil hoses, and it should be it , correct?
do u know anything about thier motor mounts? are they just a matter of unbolting them or tougher than that?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Pick up a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. It basically walks you through how to swap engines step-by-step. And if you're looking for a new replacement Zetec, www.fordracing.com has them brand new for around $2,500.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wouldnt try attempting unless you have a manual. I am in the process of doing the same - i blew a piston and shredded my timing belt so going for a new engine. Is the Zetec engine listed above a racing spec one cos i am looking at spending £600 on a new engine which isnt anywhere near $2500.

The engine and gearbox drop out from the car but i would advise getting a manual/engine crane/burly mate to help

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
an svt motor might possibly go in there. with minimal fabrication. let me look into that a little bit and get back to you

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
im pretty sure svt swap is pretty straightforward.... i would suggest it if you are willing to spend a lil extra money

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,
thanks for the comment, the motor has already been disconnected and iam inthe process of pulling it. here some pics of the damage, i always thought a post is alot more usful with some pics:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh keep in mind that i used to always change the oil on this pos every 3k with mobile 1, never beated on it, never wentover 4k rpm, babied this thing all the time and this what i get in return:(

·
Registered
975 Posts
wow thats sucks man. my car has 123,456 miles and i beat on my car veryday seeing 5-7k rpms and i use amsoil and change it every 4 to 5k miles. im waiting for my day tho. it will come.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya man becareful my car has almost the exact mileage lol 123xxx.
but ya i never beat on it, NEVER! was always affraid of something might go wrong and get stuck. but luckily i bought another car a month ago (evo ix) that i thought might be nicer arond michigan because of all the snow that we get.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
that looks like you slung a rod and piston thru the oil pan almost! what were you doing? that shouldn't happen at 4000 rpms. holy crap dude that sucks. ive got just under 100k miles on the original motor of mine. bought it at 40k miles and ive beat the hell out of it every day since i bought it and ive never had a problem out of the motor. i ran about 20-30 10lb bottles of nitrous thru it at a 75hp shot and had the rev limitor set at 7700 even tho i know it doesnt really make power past 6 or so. i put a hole in the tranny the size of a dollar bill, blew up a stock differential, popped a motor mount, broke a few axles because of the bad motor mount, and used up the stock clutch but ive never had a problem out of the motor. still runs as good as the day it rolled out of the factory if not better

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya its hard to belive but seriously i have put almost 60k miles on the car and they were all under 4k rpm, never launched, always babied this female dog. shocked + disappointed!
luckily thier used engines aren;t that expenisve so iam getting one for almost 300$ with around 40k miles on it (hopefuly!).

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
"Not hatin'" but this sounds like pure BS......

ya man becareful my car has almost the exact mileage lol 123xxx.
but ya i never beat on it, NEVER! was always affraid of something might go wrong and get stuck. but luckily i bought another car a month ago (evo ix) that i thought might be nicer arond michigan because of all the snow that we get.
Dude, you grenaded your Focus, (the same engine that gets whipped around racetracks regualrly with a good durability record) never exceeding 4K rpm, because "it was babied, and never beat-on", but WAIT....... you now drive a 300 hp Evo because "it's good in the snow?"

I guess the EVO will never see over 3750 RPM, right?

RIIIGGGHT!!!!

[hatchet]
Sounds like BS to me..... you beat the crap out this thing till it puked, [vommit] and it was probably 2 qts low on oil too! There are only a few things that will cause an engine to mysteriously blow up after 60K miles of "conservative driving". Long term neglect, sudden lack of oil, or sudden change in driving habits! Engines don't just fly apart with no warning kept under 4K with out beating on it. I had a old chevy celebrity with a spun bearing that I patched back together and it had a rod knock on hard accel. By staying out of the throttle I put over 30K miles on that crate crusing over 60 MPH over 35 miles a day.

There IS NO WAY a healthy vehicle (any vehicle) with 123K just fell apart with no warning after being "babied" and kept under 4K RPM for the last 60K miles.

Hey, if you were "lucky enough" to buy the Evo last month, maybe you can "get lucky again" and find some Focus advice on one of the Evo forums!
Did you coincidentally start beating the crap out of the Focus about 29 days ago?

OK everyone, I know I'm a jerk, but I have to call it as I see it...... save the flaming for another day, I'm goin for a cold one......[goofydrunk]

·
Registered
975 Posts
u cant Not beat on an evo.
set up too step and launch at evey light. its great fun and yes all four wheels will spin in 1st. an evo may be my next car it def. wont be babied.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Evo = Fast

u cant Not beat on an evo.
set up too step and launch at evey light. its great fun and yes all four wheels will spin in 1st. an evo may be my next car it def. wont be babied.
Oh yeah. I love my Focus, for the price it's one of the best cars in its class, but EVO's are just crazy.

There's a guy from CT that is a national champion for SCCA Autocross, and he was running an EVO for a few years. Even at autocross speeds etc, the vehicle performs like a champ when set up correctly.

When I go to track events with my focus, EVO's are always eating up most of the crowd. Even though I can hang with almost anything in the twisty parts, there's a lot of track cars with 2x, 3x or 4x my power to weight that just disappear on the straights. I can often catch up to all the RWD/V8 vette's and mustangs etc in the twisty parts again especially is the driver's timid about getting his expensive toy all beat up going off track, or worse.

On the other hand, most guys that show up with an EVO "don't know slow" & I ususally only get a glimpse of the back end of the EVO's every 5-6 laps as it whips past me like an F18 when the driver isn't a chump....LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TB1999,

i don't think there is any reason on why would i be lying about how i used to drive my focus. iam not planning on selling the car, nor looking to just simply mislead anyone on here, so iam not sure where ur genius thoughts came from but that's ur opnion and its well respected within this forum.

as far as, the way i drive the focus in comparison to the evo, people used to call me granpa when i drove my focus b4 i got my hand on the ix simply because it was my only daily driver that got me to and from work. these cars are not meant to be beaten like a boosted car, iam not making this up, i have the education to back up my own reasoning on why i won;t wanna drive the zetec hard.

on the other hand, with the evo, i have a hard time shifting under 6,000 RPM:) just great! but i do miss the focus, treated me good for a lil while.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Possible apology......

TB1999,

i don't think there is any reason on why would i be lying about how i used to drive my focus. iam not planning on selling the car, nor looking to just simply mislead anyone on here, so iam not sure where ur genius thoughts came from but that's ur opnion and its well respected within this forum.

as far as, the way i drive the focus in comparison to the evo, people used to call me granpa when i drove my focus b4 i got my hand on the ix simply because it was my only daily driver that got me to and from work. these cars are not meant to be beaten like a boosted car, iam not making this up, i have the education to back up my own reasoning on why i won;t wanna drive the zetec hard.

on the other hand, with the evo, i have a hard time shifting under 6,000 RPM:) just great! but i do miss the focus, treated me good for a lil while.
OK, I'm a big boy, I'm open minded and MIGHT be ready to make an apology here.

So, I looked at your pics in detail.

The big end of your broken con rod IS STILL attached to your crank, and does not appeart to be blackened from oil starvation, the rod is snapped in half.

This looks more like the piston hydrolocked.

You have any CAI on the intake, Did you ingest any water?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I'm a big boy, I'm open minded and MIGHT be ready to make an apology here.

So, I looked at your pics in detail.

The big end of your broken con rod IS STILL attached to your crank, and does not appeart to be blackened from oil starvation, the rod is snapped in half.

This looks more like the piston hydrolocked.

You have any CAI on the intake, Did you ingest any water?
no big deal man, we are here to discuss and this is part of it. Thanks tho!

to be honest yes i do have a cold air intake, and i did suck in water a while back, possibily a week prior to the engine blown up. but i did have multiple water suction problems through my intake in the past year or two, but nothing serious, i mean it would stutter for a lil bit then goes back to normal. but how would that effect the rod? and yes i broke a rod that;s what happened.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts