Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering how many miles before the timing chain needs serviced?

Found a used 05 locally for pretty cheap and its got quite a few miles on it already.

I think its due.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My duri has 65k on it and my buddy at the shop keeps telling me to replace it. Might just be saying that because I have the motor all torn apart and I should do it in its current state. Change it anyways. Wont hurt!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just read in a manual that timing chains are made to work the "life of the vehicle" without being replaced. Might want to change it if your planning on mods. Just to play it safe

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
its kind of like the "lifetime" air filter on our cars that has a what, 100k service life? silly.

I havent heard of anyone here changing it out but if I were building an engine or buying a car w high miles and an unknown history it might be worth it

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it until after 120k if it was maintained and driven normally.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Timing chain really shouldn't be an issue unless you do a lot of in city driving and the engine is changing speeds a lot. Changing speed, especially with variable cam timing, is VERY hard on the timing chain.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have 115k on my car, and no issues.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
135k and still going. I do mostly highway driving. Boost has been on since 107k.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd do the chain guide's before the chain. It is a chain vs a belt= less manteince.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
135k and still rolling.

2 ways to check chain stretch:

1) Timing kit: remove valve cover, and roll around to TDC and see if the bar fits.
2) Lazy man's method: Watch for kickback. That will be when the engine stops then rotates slightly backwards after being turned off. You'll have to be watching while someone cuts it off.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen Nissan trucks that hauled loads pulling over 200k on the factory chain. That's about the closest example I can think of. Yeah, those were SOHC chains with oil pressure tensioners, but I haven't personally seen any DOHC chain cars that are long life- yet. I might be noticing a little retarded cam action, but I'm not sure. I doubt it, whatever I'm feeling might be more due to other things.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this one has 136K but they didnt have the title so i passed on it.

I think they still owe taxes or a lean on it or something.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
This is Lloestreich's '05 Focus over at FJ, as of April '11

"I replaced the alternator once. But typical maintanence issues otherwise. Like tires, fluid flushes and only the front brakes. I have'nt replaced the rear brakes yet. Oh and a new thermostat."

So sounds like if the car has been taken care of, no worries about the chain... [:)]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Lein, yeah those can cause problems. I had a friend who wanted to sell his really old Lincoln, I want to say from the 40's, and unfortunately some previous owners in 1970 had failed to pay off the vehicle. He had a guy who was going to give him an extraordinary amount of money for it- and that totally screwed it up.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lein, yeah those can cause problems. I had a friend who wanted to sell his really old Lincoln, I want to say from the 40's, and unfortunately some previous owners in 1970 had failed to pay off the vehicle. He had a guy who was going to give him an extraordinary amount of money for it- and that totally screwed it up.
lol, there was still a lein on it from the 40's? lol dang. Thats crazy

What sucks is its exactly what i want. Dtec, auto, hatchback, and its tore up just enough to keep me busy a while. Couple years older then mine, same body style so as i wrench on it its basicly the same car so when mine starts to fail ill hopefully already know whats wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
None of the duratecs use the variable valve timing and even so timing chains are a rare problem, ive seen more people blow pistons out the top before they jump timing, even in higher mileage vehicles, i could be wrong and correct me if so, but unless it has a timing chain problem already, and its stock, it is very unlikely that you will have a timing chain problem

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well this one has 136K but they didnt have the title so i passed on it.

I think they still owe taxes or a lean on it or something.
My 06 ZX4 will roll over 145k on my ride home from work tonight, as far as the engine goes, one serp belt, fuel filter, and a set of plugs.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 06 ZX4 will roll over 145k on my ride home from work tonight, as far as the engine goes, one serp belt, fuel filter, and a set of plugs.
Thats good to hear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts