Focus Fanatics Forum banner

most bang for the buck

1K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  need4speed2345 
#1 ·
what is the most bang for the buck mod for a stock 2004 zx3?i've read all the posts and am more confused than ever about where to start with the mods.it's a street daily driver and i'm not looking topull the motor and have the car down for daysfor a high performance rebuild but i would like a little more pep out of her for the start.

BTW a stock 04 zx3 will out run a 2000 S-10 extreme in the long run!!lol S-10 fuel shut down 98mph focus shut down 107mph.i pass a coworker every day at 100mph and love to stuff it in his face due to the ragging on me about my foci!![:D]

#3 ·
alright smartasses...i ment the driveline is stock!it has a full body kit and spoiler,drip guards,window tint.got the looks about where i want them now i need to improve the get up and go!!

just kidding about the smartass thing!lol

#4 ·
I would have to say get a tune from Tom (AKA 1turbofocus - focus-power.com), Wayne (AKA hypnotic - hypillauto.com) or Randy at FocusSport.com . That would be my recommendation. Once you reflash the ECU with a custom tune, the difference is imediately noticeable! I LOVE mine, tuned by Wayne! hehe

#5 ·
remember this rule of thumb...the louder it is, THE FASTER IT IS. That seems to be the case around here anyway! Ah yes, the old saying "vinyl adds horsepower" is true also. [:D] just kidding! With your 130 hp engine, an intake or exhaust sytem is the first thing you should think about.

#6 ·
^who said anything about him having a 170 hp engine. if you find a place that sells a ZX3 with an svt engine let me know, i'll be all over it. but i do agree with you on the last thing. do the basic starter mods, intake and exhaust, and go from there.

#7 ·
170hp???[eek] i thought this thing was at the 130 range???anyways man you guys are brutal to the new crowd.got this car because of the milage and hated it...but then i fell in love with it and want it to run with the pack,leaving exhaust trails,not sucking it!I'm not a complete ******* just new to foci and want to know where they hide the pep...it's not in the glove box and not under the hood so it must be "sold seprately"lol

#11 ·
intake makes a big difference, then go for headers, exhaust. Add a tune and port the throttle body and you'll have a great start!

#14 ·
if you put the SVT stock intake box and snorkel on with the SVT header and cat/ORP with a flex, and then a tune, youd have one movin car. just removing that big cat on a stock motor does alot for power. That way it looks stock and you can still do that sleeper look. A tune will also remove that speed limiter!

#16 ·
nitrous

i would say go with the intake and exhaust stuff then get 50 shot of nitrous
dont need a tune or anything for that

[thumb]

but a tune would be nice cuaz u would get that gov. off ure car

#18 ·
nope that S-10 looks like it would go a bit faster!Exhaust is where i'll start then the intake thanks for all the info guys!Still would like to get Toms phone# so i can talk to him about a tune.Any good cheap places to get all these mods?Looking for the borla exhaust for under $400,and a good place for the intake as well.[thumb]

#20 ·
I agree with bigchad. Nitrous that mother! Best all-around bang you can get for your buck.

IMHO i'd go for an SVT suspension setup and better tires first before the exhaust. You won't net any HP gains, but you can take freeway on-ramps at insane speeds. You should see the smile on my face when i'm merging into traffic.

BTW... you can get a used SVT intake and airbox for around $40.00... just as good as anything else out there.

#21 ·
I did forget to mention it's an atx foci...wish i had the 5 speed mtx but it was cheap and right there so i went for it and have loved it ever since.just wish it were faster off the line!

#23 ·
wont take this s10.. i just wanted a reason to post the beast. anyhow i added a CAI, Header and i bet it freed up close to 8-10 hp. next step is 65mm tb, catback, turbo, meth injection kit. cause i like LOTS O HP

little hard to see but thats 407hp 431tq, and add 125 to it for my nitrous setup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.