Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to the dealer to get my oil changed this time (i got lazy) he wanted to do my 15,000mile routine checkup.. $220 to
change oil ($20)
rotate tires (free with coupon)
replace fuel filter ($50)
replace air filter ($40)

i thought he was crazy seeing how i just got my tires rotated 2 months ago and i have a SR intake. but anyways thats not wut im complaining about

See the service guy has the same car as me, same color and everything. He has the same problems as me so he knows that they exisist

1. Hard crank no start
2. Stuttering hesitation with fan blower on
3. Stiffness of clutch when getting off the highway via offramp

He said he got his fuel pump replaced to help the hard crank issue, but he still has the same problems. With the hesitation he told me that was (normal.. HAHA) The other service guy said they have hundreds of complaints on the 05/06/ and probably the 07's that are out with the hard crank issue, and Ford doesnt know how to fix it.

There's alwasy something you know. Oh and the service guy that has problems with his car has never modded his engine so he cant say its my SRI or anything else that is affecting these problems.

Sorry for the rant, hope this all helps. Not even a Ford employee can get his car fixed!

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
I have the clutch problem as well. Like when I go to push in the clutch after exiting the highway its really stiff but it only does it once. I'm guessing it has something to do with the clutch fluid since it only does it once and then stops unless I get back on the highway and exit(slow down) again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the stiff clutch is a fairly common phenonemon, not just in focus'. my 89 ford probe did it, as well as my mom's 99 f150.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm starting to get the hard crank problem. It doesn't just happen on cold starts either. It has a mind of its own. Sometimes it does it, other times it doesn't. I wonder if turning the ignition on a few seconds before engaging the starter would help, so it would give the fuel pump a little longer to build pressure. I'll try to troubleshoot it a little this next week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the hard start issue and the hesitation but I've never had the clutch issue. I'm pretty sure you can get your ECU reflashed at your dealer (for free if under warranty still) and it fixes the hard start and the hesitation.

·
Registered
444 Posts
when you say hard crank are you talking abou tit not wanting to start? because when mine is cold it doesnt want to start, i always have to tap the gas then it comes to life. Mine is an 05 by the way. And some times when it starts (without hitting th gas) it shutters untill i tap the gas then it goes away. Are these the same problums you are talking about?

·
Registered
279 Posts
2POINT3ESSTEE said:
I have the hard start issue and the hesitation but I've never had the clutch issue. I'm pretty sure you can get your ECU reflashed at your dealer (for free if under warranty still) and it fixes the hard start and the hesitation.
I just read the thread about the reflashing fix. I'll call up my dealership and see when they can do it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
airdrummer said:
I'm starting to get the hard crank problem. I wonder if turning the ignition on a few seconds before engaging the starter would help, so it would give the fuel pump a little longer to build pressure.
YES that will alleviate the problem!!! NO it is not because of the fuel pump. It's caused by a sluggish IAC valve. Why a Ford mechanic doesn't know this.. I have NO IDEA. Was this the oil change guy or a regular mechanic?

The next time you have the hard start problem-- notice what you just did. I'll bet that every time you have the problem, you get in the car, push the key in, and crank the starter right away. Now I completely agree that a car should freaking start when you do this, and Ford deserves a severe spanking for not resolving the issue. It may be one of those things where there's like a million of already produced IAC's out there that are just a tad too tight, and those haven't been used up yet. I really can't say for sure. I can say with certainty that I only have the problem when I crank the car up right away and don't wait for one little second with the key in the ON position before starting. This usually happens after working 12-14 hours and all I want to do is escape. Then my Chevy driving co-workers get a big kick from me having to restart my little Ford, and of course it's a tad flooded from being sprayed with fuel twice because I do something else stupid like turn the key OFF and then ON/START again. This makes the ECU spray start-up fuel again. I know better, yet I still do the wrong thing.

Tapping the gas pedal isn't really doing much of anything to provide more fuel. The ECU is going to spray fuel at start-up, and nothing else until the motor is started. In fact, if you ever do the stupid things I mentioned before and flood your FI Ford, there's a way to start it while it's flooded. This is the same action as you would perform to start a flooded carbureted vehicle except for the key action. Turn the key OFF, press the accelerator to the floor and hold it there, turn the key to START and crank the engine. When you hear a sputter, let the key fall back to ON, take your foot off the gas, then START and the motor should fire right up. The directions for this- which I may have written slightly wrong- are in the Owners Manual that nobody ever reads. It's like what the computer tech call center people used to say right after hanging up from yet another customer who turned on the monitor, but not the computer: RTFM!!!

For those who feel that the fuel pump is the problem- listen to it. The very instant that you turn your key to ON, you will hear the fuel pump whirrrrrrrrrr for about 3 seconds. If that whirrrring is longer than 10 seconds, see your dealer, you have fuel pump problems. That's it, in 3 seconds you have correct fuel pressure on the fuel rail feeding the injectors.

I can't help you with the hard clutch after driving on the highway, that's one of those "It's a Ford" issues. I didn't even notice it until someone mentioned it on here.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Pressing on the gas pedal while the car is turned off on any electronically controlled fuel injected car will do NOTHING!!! Only carbureted cars spray fuel when the pedal is pushed down with the car not running....I also have that clutch issue, though i see nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
rockn4 said:
replace air filter ($40)
Huh? Instructions direct from Ford to their techs for the Duratec are: At 100,000 remove the entire stock airbox. Discard. Install new airbox.

Anyways, you should still be under warranty and a fuel filter and air filter - if it were actually necessary - should be covered if they're defective.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I called my dealer, and there isn't any kind of bulletin out for my car that fixes hard starts and hesitation. And BTW whynotthinkwhynot, I've been doing what I mentioned earlier, and I haven't had anymore problems so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a TSB for the "long start" on the ST. TSB 05-9-16 ... long crank/hard start. Run a search as in one thread there is a link that directs you to where you can order it. I was getting the long start, did the key thing which worked for the most part and then I took the TSB and the car to the dealer and they reprogrammed, reflashed ... whatever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.