Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Car: 01 Focus ZX3 2.0l Zetec MTX-75

The problem: This has been an on-going problem for many months. When I start my car (A cold start) there is pretty bad vibration in the front-end. When the car is cold the vibration is very bad. Once the car warms up the vibration goes away almost completely (If it's still there I don't notice it.)

What I have checked or changed:

Spark Plugs - Checked
Spark Plug Wires - Replaced
Exhaust - Checked to see if it was rubbing on body, it wasn't.
Motor Mounts - Checked (By myself and two Mechanics say there is no problem with them). There is no visible motion on them when the car is put in gear within reason. There are also no rocks or road debris in the transmission mount. However, after running out of other options I took my car to Firestone and they say the mounts are bad. They say the front passenger side and the driver's side mount need to be replaced.

I am really at a loss here. Everything that I know of to check that would cause this kind of vibration I have checked/replaced. And I'm not sure that Firestone is being honest completely. I have checked them myself, and two mechanics besides Firestone have also checked them. Is there some other way to check them I might not be aware of?

Thanks alot for the help guys.

·
Focus autox'r
2,507 Posts
my car would rattle at cold start and when idling at 1000rpm.
and vibrate n corners and at idle and even though motor mounts looked good..got the vf driverside. wow..no more rattle and minimum vibration only on some bumps and certain corners.think the lower will b next 4 me.hope tat helps -peace

·
Registered
343 Posts
i have the same problem even after a tune up, also replace the poly tranny mount which makes it worse, need to change the engine mounts and see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have the same problem even after a tune up, also replace the poly tranny mount which makes it worse, need to change the engine mounts and see.
I had a crazy vibration at startup too. I started to replace / clean everything. MAF, Filter, new plugs, oil, all that. Then I swapped our my DPFE sensor and i swear i could not believe how well it idled at start up. It was a night and day difference - Seriously. I dont know what part the DPFE plays although I can say it made a HUGE difference. It was instantaneous. I swapped it and started the car and BAM! she was running quiet like a sewing machine again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
how much is the DPFE sensor?? i thought the DPFE sensor will make the car stumble only when the car is cruising, not when ideling.
btw, my vibration is getting worse and worse, after i use the poly tranny mount inserts. i can feel the vibration thought the seat, floor, and steeing wheel. i checked both other mounts and they seem good. i used to love driving the focus lot, and now i kindda hate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any luck finding a solution to this problem? My car is experiencing a very similar vibration (to Kona's) that is especially noticeable when the car is first started and idling, as well as over bumps and turns. The vibration seems more pronounced in cooler climate as well. For kicks, I went ahead and tried the DPFE sensor work around at http://www.focushacks.com/printable.php?modid=80, but that didn't help the problem at all, nor did it make it worse. I'll probably be calling my mechanic on Monday to see what he has to say and possibly make an appointment, and I'll be sure to post any helpful findings I come across. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dOt,

Trust me in this. Change the Passanger side Motor mount, that will fix the problem. It's only $50.00 for the part and about 20 minutes to change. Your car will feel as smooth as when you bought it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts