Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some shiny black M3 style side view mirrors. I also bought 2 cans of VHT nite shade. Has anybody ever tried to use Nite shade on the black plastic trim. If I can make all the black trim on my white focus shiny I think it would look friggin awesome with my blacked out windows, corners and lights. What do you all think??

·
Registered
491 Posts
jealm said:
I was also thinking about niteshading the back hatch glass. that thing is a PITA to tint...
Try the wagon rear glass! I don't even want to get into that.

I don't think you would get a nice even coat on the whole window. It might look blotchy. You try it first, and let me know how it does.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
jealm said:
I was also thinking about niteshading the back hatch glass. that thing is a PITA to tint...
i really dont think that would be a good idea. What if you mess up and dont like it, how you going to remove the niteshade from the window, that will probably be a pita as well. Just go to a shop and penny up the money to have the back window tinted, i really dont think it should be that expensive.

About the black plastic stuff being niteshaded. I actually took window tint and put it on my little triangle pieces and it made them look shiny. I bet if you night shaded it would make it shiny, try it, if its not shinny enough put like a thin coat of clear over it, then itll definitly shine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
good ideas but i think doing the hatch glass would be a pain

·
Registered
797 Posts
although on glass if u mess up u can take it off with paint remover and start over

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not advise trying to tint your own windows because that could be an expensive error...I dunno if nite shades comes off very easily. I went and got my windows tinted and it cost me about 180 for all windows and the hatch window. I think I'll give the nite shade a shot on the plastic parts..I just bought some cheap M3 style rear views and I already have a chrome hatch strip that I bought a while back so that should be shiny if I tint it black I probably won't even need to put a clear coat on it. I think it will look sweet but I have to get a real camera to take pictures with instead of my phone..the phone works well at parties but it is not worthy of my Focus!

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention that I want to black out my corners as well as the ugly orange turn signals in the grill...this may be a little bit more tought to do though. I really just want to paint my car black [:)~]

·
☼
7,494 Posts
DrkKnight614 said:
About the black plastic stuff being niteshaded. I actually took window tint and put it on my little triangle pieces and it made them look shiny.
You finally got them shiny? I remember that only gtg you came to that you complained how mine and Mike's were shiny, yours were :)

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
bad idea dude, have someone do it for ya. tint on the triangle pieces? are you talking about the pieces behind the rear windows? hmmm. different. i usually just wax them. but if that is a permanent fix, let us know how they are in the long-run.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scrammer what is a bad idea? The grill lights/corners? Sorry dunno who you were talking to. I'll probably get my dad to help me with it he's a painting contractor so I'm sure he'll know the ropes...hopefully

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
turbovation said:
If I can make all the black trim on my white focus shiny I think it would look friggin awesome with my blacked out windows, corners and lights. What do you all think??
wetsanding with fine-grit sandpaper, along with a can of high quality clear will give you the results you want.

that's what I did with the stock side-skirts.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah, have the rear done professionally. And as for shiny black molding and mirrors. Try a few coats of clear.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
To make black plastic parts shiney, just mask the area and get PlastiKote clear coat (spray). Does the trick everytime...makes it look armoralled all the time..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts