Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2012 Focus with about 52k miles on it.

It's always had the transmission knocking sound and within the last 2 months it started feeling like the clutch was slipping and would loose power often while driving and sometimes just not start at all.

I took it into the dealership for the tranny recall fix and less than 24 hours later the transmission starts slipping again and within another 24 hour its loosing power again, feels like its slipping a lot worse now and eventually it just died while driving and wouldn't start again.

While pushing my focus off of the highway all I could smell was burning electronics and instantly knew something else had gone wrong in addition to the transmission problems.

Now it's at the dealership a again and it turns out the alternator died, the water pumps failing, and the transmission finally had its last slip all at the same time.

Now they are telling me that all the simultaneous failures are unrelated and I have to pay about $1,500 to fix everything before they can even diagnose the transmission obvious transmission problems...

Is it not possible that those problems where caused by the violent jerking of the car as it was constantly loosing power and jumping rpms from the trans problems?

I am pretty lost at what to do now and can't really seen to get any help on any level.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
1. If the water pump is, in fact, failing - it would be covered under the 5 year / 60k mile powertrain warranty.
2. Are they sure your alternator is failing? I'm not saying it's not, but there have been way more electrical gremlins in these cars related to the transmission control module (TCM) that result in no-start conditions and alternator-type codes. TCM replacement would be covered under warranty as well.
3. I doubt the problems are related to the transmission problems/work you had done.
4. If all else fails, you should probably find a new dealer.

What did they do during the field service action (not technically a recall) fix? It should be spelled out on the receipt they gave you if they:
  • Flashed (updated) the TCM/PCM (which is what I'm guessing they did)
  • Flashed TCM/PCM and cleaned the clutch
  • Flashed TCM/PCM and replaced the clutch

Also, you stated it lose power while driving? Like you hit the gas and it wouldn't accelerate? Or the electronics powered off? You also stated you had intermittent issues with the car starting before the update? That's a red flag to me that it might be TCM related.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check these videos out:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469009

Quite a few problems can be related to lack of electricity an a computer controlled car. Even a bad ground can be enough to cause major issues as you'll see.

Don't know the symptom of "water pump failing" to guess if it might be related.

That estimate is quite "healthy", just what's included might help with guessing about reasonableness. Seized alternator could damage other parts including serpentine belt, tensioner, etc.. No idea if that may have happened from the description.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Even a bad ground can be enough to cause major issues as you'll see.
True. One common loose ground is G-104 under the box holding the air filter. Pretty sure it goes to the transmission control module, so that could be important.

Seized alternator could damage other parts including serpentine belt, tensioner, etc.. No idea if that may have happened from the description.
I agree the seized alternator/water pump could cause the other belt-driven items (water pump/alternator, respectively) to have issues, but I don't think either of them were caused by the 14-0131 TSB the OP had performed.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

It's always had the transmission knocking sound and within the last 2 months it started feeling like the clutch was slipping and would loose power often while driving and sometimes just not start at all.

I took it into the dealership for the tranny recall fix and less than 24 hours later the transmission starts slipping again and within another 24 hour its loosing power again, feels like its slipping a lot worse now and eventually it just died while driving and wouldn't start again.

While pushing my focus off of the highway all I could smell was burning electronics and instantly knew something else had gone wrong in addition to the transmission problems.

Now it's at the dealership a again and it turns out the alternator died, the water pumps failing, and the transmission finally had its last slip all at the same time.

Now they are telling me that all the simultaneous failures are unrelated and I have to pay about $1,500 to fix everything before they can even diagnose the transmission obvious transmission problems...

Is it not possible that those problems where caused by the violent jerking of the car as it was constantly loosing power and jumping rpms from the trans problems?

I am pretty lost at what to do now and can't really seen to get any help on any level.
Welcome to the forum!

I want to see how I can assist. Please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the pump that is thankfully still covered leaked onto the alternator and took out a bunch of fuses and stuff.

They are starting the repairs now and I wont have to pay a dime.

Thank you Debbie!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Turns out the pump that is thankfully still covered leaked onto the alternator and took out a bunch of fuses and stuff.

They are starting the repairs now and I wont have to pay a dime.

Thank you Debbie!
Awesome! I guess that totally makes sense!

Reminds me of when the PS pump was leaking on my Escape and it messed up the alternator. Not sure why I didn't think of that. [scratch]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Failures can cascade, it's great that the initial cause of the current problem is covered so the resulting problems are covered as well.

Once you loose proper electrical power little will work, so you can see now why the trans. & engine acted up as a result of the electrical faults.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update:

Still at the dealership and after new fuses, alternator and waterpump it also seems the starter went out with everything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Got the car back after having the all the electric issues addressed: had a rough time starting after turning it off when I stopped for lunch after picking it up from the dealership and seems the transmission issue is still there slipping/stalling out.

They didn't touch the trans so maybe the recall fix did indeed fail?...

Customer Service sadly did not reimburse me for all the rental car money I had to spend to make it to work but they did extend my warranty for another 36k miles and will cover a loaner car next time... next time... [dunno]

This faulty car has cost me so much money and time in the past few weeks... Why Ford?

·
Registered
77 Posts

You are out of Warranty like me so Report car to Better business bureau, Attorney Generals office and the national Highway traffic safety admin....these cars need to be recalled...this is how to get it done, the more people complain more chance of recall NHTSA.org Small claims court too! You can claim Up to 25k against dealership if LLC

·
Registered
77 Posts
Update:

Got the car back after having the all the electric issues addressed: had a rough time starting after turning it off when I stopped for lunch after picking it up from the dealership and seems the transmission issue is still there slipping/stalling out.

They didn't touch the trans so maybe the recall fix did indeed fail?...

Customer Service sadly did not reimburse me for all the rental car money I had to spend to make it to work but they did extend my warranty for another 36k miles and will cover a loaner car next time... next time... [dunno]

This faulty car has cost me so much money and time in the past few weeks... Why Ford?
If you are out of Warranty like me so Report car to Better business bureau, Attorney Generals office and the national Highway traffic safety admin....these cars need to be recalled...this is how to get it done, the more people complain more chance of recall NHTSA.org Small claims court too! You can claim Up to 25k against dealership if LLC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are out of Warranty like me so Report car to Better business bureau, Attorney Generals office and the national Highway traffic safety admin....these cars need to be recalled...this is how to get it done, the more people complain more chance of recall NHTSA.org Small claims court too! You can claim Up to 25k against dealership if LLC
I got it from carmax, sue them?

How is car now?
A few weeks ago I took it again because it was till dying, a Tech drove the car around and the conclusion was if you dont want you car to die keep the tank full. Anytime it has between full and a quarter its prone to dying and stalling out especially on hills.

Transmission still sounds like soda can in it.

Doesn't look like be getting reimbursed for the rental cars, either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car died while driving again last friday night, tis now wednesday and ofcourse i've missed work.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Car died while driving again last friday night, tis now wednesday and ofcourse i've missed work.
My offer to look into this still stands. Has it been taken care of since this post?

Meagan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My offer to look into this still stands. Has it been taken care of since this post?

Meagan
PM Sent.

Yesterday they installed a new TCM which was bad so they had to order a new one. Got a call last night and the car is ready, i shall be picking it up soon and we shall see... [thankyou] so tired of this

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
PM Sent.

Yesterday they installed a new TCM which was bad so they had to order a new one. Got a call last night and the car is ready, i shall be picking it up soon and we shall see... [thankyou] so tired of this
Thanks! I'm glad to hear your dealer's got it under control. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
38 Posts
No change after "recall fix"

Sorry but the DPS6 concerns are still not being rectified/corrected, this from a Ford Senior Master tech. Parts availability issues, parts quality issues I could go on and on. Also the labor time cuts for us.... BUT lets not go there...some probably know of my attitude. TCM's are a big concern along with the clutch quality...sic. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/rant.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts