Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so im driving along and head downhill to a stop which requires me to apply a decent amount of pressure to the brakes come to a stop sitting at the stop i see idle is slightly fluctuating like it has been recently headlights flickering ect. so i put it in neutral just to see if anything changes and what do you know car stalls instantly but in such a way that i can barely tell that it has stalled idle just dropped and then completely stopped battery light came on with oil light if thats the other red light next to the battery light which i think it is, i try to restart then realize im in drive for some reason and put it back to neutral car restarts drives the rest of the way home without further problems aside from rough idle and surging at stops with lights flickering, now i know the lights could be due to bad grounds but i don't think the car would stall because of a bad ground please help i'm out of ideas.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
remove your intake tube and slide your hand behind the engine on the right of the throttle body you will feel a hose that juts out of the block and does a 90 degree to the right feel that hose and feel around the hose for a collapsed spot or a hole in the tube... Thats a PVC tube and there notorious for degradation and falling apart/collapsing on itself :) mine stared to do the same thing as yours... 3 trips and $700+ they finally found that tube -.-

hopefully this helps.. I don't beleive you have an electrical issue and for your year that tube causes that problem.I have another wagon that actually has a collapsed hose I felt it fartin around ( its actually a blown motor).. mine died 2 blocks from the dealer the next day after I picked it up.. it had to be towed back it wasn't driveable

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found that that tube hadn't deteriorated to the point of a hole but it was sucking closed and i replaced it however that didn't help with the bad idle, also replaced the pcv valve, spark plugs, and im certain there are no vacuum leaks, egr system is disabled but i still haven't recieved a cel.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
well the bad idle wouldn't be a battery or terminal connection

Well just ignore the next link its a pic of the location of the PCV tube I was referring to just in case someone stumbles across this topic and finds it useful in the future :)

Location of the PCV tube
http://www.resellersinc.com/gallery2/main.php/v/users/admin/miscpics/DSCF1532.jpg.html

is there any mods to the car and do you have a digital multitester

if you do tap the tps harness ( forgot what wires (key turned to on and engine NOT running) you may also have a TPS issue ( not always will it trigger it may be borderline but the computer may read it as fine
(Thin TPS = Bad TSB's TPS / Fat TPS line in my pic = New style) ground the black lead of the Multimeter to the battery ground and the positive tap the tps till you get a reading at closed/idle and WOT wide open throttle.. My TPS was causing Surging/take off/idle problems thats why you see in my pic yet again it looks new and theres a new pigtailed tapped into the engine harness

Now lemme go find what the readings are supposed to be

Reactions: lildisco

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
This was snagged from another post I found

---
At idle you could see from .4 to .9 volt and WOT you could see from 4.7 to 4.99 volts
---

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
images aren't showing up, I don't think its the tps becuase i replaced the one i have with a manual one by accident and the car ran worse then went back and it was slightly better, i will check with the meter when i get a chance, im kinda hoping it isn't the tps becuase from what i hear you can't get the atx one without buying the throttle body also from the dealership

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Correct... which version TPS do you have the fat body or the slim body

The slims are notorious for going bad.. the only way you can verify its working is with a volt meter...

it will run worst the TPS on a manual (MTX) throttlebody is totally different then a Automatic (ATX)

and the image was a click link not an actual forum image due to its size i want to keep the aspect of its clarity and size

well I will be changing out my intake on my 01 focus atx.. thing is i don;t know if the tps is working on the car its coming off cuz its got a blown motor but I will check the voltages later and see what mine comes up as... I don't want to mess with the new one on my other wagon :D

I grabbed my new Throttlebody and TPS off a FF member for something like $50 and works beautifully car hasn't run better and I lost my hand massager ( the vibrations through the steering wheel stopped)

The throttlebody in this picture is my new one ( on Wagon #1 ) you can see the pigtail attached (Wagon 2 still has the old style)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
maybe try this...

Campaign Number:03V482000Date:2003-Nov-19

Component:FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Defect Summary:ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE.

Consequence Summary:THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Corrective Summary:THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the tps i have is pretty small however im not quite clear on whether i have the fat or thin version ill post up a pic maybe that will help, won't have the volt meter till friday but as soon as i do i will check it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh and as for that recall can i call ford to see whether or not my car has had it done?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
battery is less than a year old so i don't think its that

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
oh and as for that recall can i call ford to see whether or not my car has had it done?
yah go to a ford survice department or call them and give them your VIN and they can look it up. they might charge a diagnostic fee but it should be refunded if the part is bad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is a pic of the tps

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
here is a pic of the tps

That unfortunatly is the TSB'd old style TPS.. to verify that its working fine please get me the voltage readings off it.. I will take a short vid of me checking both mine :)

and if I find mine is ok your welcome to take it... be back in about a half hour gunna go out and check my new wagon's

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
when checking I used a gator clip jumper to ground the neg probe of the multimeter.. tap into the white wire for the readings

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Heres a few shots of the TPS check on my Project wagon

Idle Reading

WOT reading

here is the vid of the test on Wagon 1 that got the Throttlebody/TPS transplant

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok ill check the voltage after i get off work today at 1pm and let you know what it is, i'm reading more and seems like it could also be the iac valve any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
if it was the IAC it would stall on start up when cold or it would be hunting for idle when at opp. temp.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so looked under the hood and im almost certain its not the tps, i was revving the engine and apart from this really loud metal clank i get when pulling hard on the throttle i noticed that if i did this i would get the noise then the engine idle would come back down and almost stall now i didn't have a stethoscope or anything to aid my ear but from what i could tell the noise was definitely coming from below the throttle body, would the iac valve make such a noise? i would love for this to be my problem and have it solve everything, also noticed serious fluttering at wot doing about 90mph car felt like i was lifting off the gas real fast then pushing back down car had trouble accelerating until i let off the gas, again iac valve maybeeee?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts