Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.1.0 mk3,5 car originally 125 horsepower, reached about 145-150 horsepower. Tune/Remap was done. Air filter K&N 54s-4000. Exhaust 21.6 inch (55cm) from downpipe to end, with free-flowing resonator and free-flowing muffler. Sports shocks absorber. 225/45/17 wheels Sprint Booster Out of curiosity,could something else be done so that performance will be increased? What do you suggest? Under no circumstances should catalyst be removed/deleted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.1.0 mk3,5 car originally 125 horsepower, reached about 145-150 horsepower. Tune/Remap was done. Air filter K&N 54s-4000. Exhaust 21.6 inch (55cm) from downpipe to end, with free-flowing resonator and free-flowing muffler. Sports shocks absorber. 225/45/17 wheels Sprint Booster Out of curiosity,could something else be done so that performance will be increased? What do you suggest? Under no circumstances should catalyst be removed/deleted.
The 145-150 mark is about the maximum horsepower the 1.0 can take. With it being such a small block, I wouldn't dare go past that as it would probably lead to overheating, gaskets could potentially wear out faster, you might warp the head, cracks could form on the head and ultimately anyone of those could lead to complete engine failure. Also probably cooling and oil circulation won't be enough to sustain the increased horsepower. So you would probably need a larger radiator, bigger hoses, etc. The engine is rated for 125 hp, but Ford did supercharge it to 140 hp in the Fiesta Red Edition and Black Edition, as well as the Focus ST-Line.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So now would it be enough?
With the first tune/remap it reached 153 hp but two months later two of three pistons broke. After fixing it, it was tuned again and it reached about 144 -150 hp. It is just fine (for many months now).Other cars with 1.0 focus engine reached about 150-160 hp without any issues (run for many years now). But in order to increase performance (2nd stage), other modifications need to be made, like a new intercooler. A focus (3rd stage) reached 200 plus hp but it's turbo was modified.
So is there anything else that could be done so that performance would be increased (for 1st stage)? (except catalyst, intercooler).

·
Registered
182 Posts
www.pumaspeed.co.uk/saved/files/2015_140PS_1.0_ecoboost_Pumaspeed_Upgrade_Price_List_2015.pdf

It's a 6 year old file with 6 year old pricing, but it will take a lot of money and effort to get just 215hp out of our 1.0. Replacing the intercooler is often the first mod recommended to do on STs since the factory one heatsoaks quickly and limits performance. It will need to be replaced to get the most out of performance mods.

Our car was built to be a commuter that gets great fuel economy from it's tiny engine. IMHO, you'd be better off selling your Focus and using the extra money you would have spent to get our car close to 200hp to get a different car that comes with more factory power that also has a healthy aftermarket community for the extra power you desire.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that modification is about fiesta not focus.
So all that could be done was done for first stage, perhaps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think that modification is about fiesta not focus.
So all that could be done was done for first stage, perhaps.
They list the same* mods for both cars and it's also listed under the Focus as well.

*the intercooler is different due to mounting location

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for the information. Except the intercooler and the turbo, is there anything else that could be done.
Do you have the 1.0 also?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The intercooler and turbo will be what provides the most gains in performance. Then you'll need your tune adjusted to account for both/one of them.

BTW, what region are you in and who are you tuned with? Do you like it so far, besides wanting more power?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Chose a local tuner who uses a tune/remap (programm) that is set for every model from a tuners comany in Germany. That tuner adjusts it specifically for each car in real time. Around two months after the first tune/remap two pistons broke. Then after fixing it a second tune/remap was done that reached about 144-150 hp. Many months now the car is fine. Performance now is very satisfying. The car is a lot faster than originally. But out of curiosity i just wanted to ask.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ah. The European tuners won't touch the US 1.0L due to ECU differences between it and the European cars... And the US tuners won't touch them due to Ford not selling a lot of them. Catch 22.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So there are such differences in us and european versions?
Do you own a 1.0 focus? Did you tune your car?
Also sorry for any language mistakes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's just the ECU to my understanding. The US Fiesta 1.0 has a different ECU than the Focus 1.0 even...

I do! It's been 5 years with mine so far. I tried to tune my car... You can look in my profile to see how that went (not great)

Your English has been perfectly fine :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could not find it. What happened to your car after tuning? Because on mine as i reported two pistons broke after two months of tuning/remap. Here there are many 1.0 focus and many 1.0 fiesta that are tuned, there are even some that are stage 2 reached about 170 plus hp and at least one at stage 3 that reached more than 200 plus hp.
If you would like, explain what happened to your car?

That is a relief beacause it is not easy to speak a foreign language which is so different. (Difference is much bigger, for example spanish or french or german are much similar to english).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Short version is that the tune they provided was very basic and felt like the only thing they did was turn up the amount of boost. It was very jerky when you put your foot down and kept it down before shifting. They then ghosted me until I got the state's attorneys involved to get a refund.

Stage 2 and 3 are much easier to do in Europe since all the shops that make those parts are in Europe. I imported the turbo hardpipe from the UK and shipping was almost the same price as the hardpipe itself...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So did you unistall the tune/remap, or did you keep it? You could try superchips bluefin. I dont know if they sell it there but it is sure that you could order it from Europe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So did you unistall the tune/remap, or did you keep it? You could try superchips bluefin. I dont know if they sell it there but it is sure that you could order it from Europe.
The tune was uninstalled. I emailed Bluefin and they were actually the first European tuner to say they didn't support the US 1.0 due to ECU differences, and they won't add support due to shipping costs. Revo basically said the same thing despite having a few VAG tuners across the US. Pumaspeed never responded

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Really? That is not good. Perhaps you could insist more to Superchips if they could do something (adjusting it, fix the parameters for example). Isnt there, at your area/region a tuner who could make it right? Did you email Rica tuning?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So now would it be enough?
With the first tune/remap it reached 153 hp but two months later two of three pistons broke. After fixing it, it was tuned again and it reached about 144 -150 hp. It is just fine (for many months now).Other cars with 1.0 focus engine reached about 150-160 hp without any issues (run for many years now). But in order to increase performance (2nd stage), other modifications need to be made, like a new intercooler. A focus (3rd stage) reached 200 plus hp but it's turbo was modified.
So is there anything else that could be done so that performance would be increased (for 1st stage)? (except catalyst, intercooler).
The 145-150 mark is about the maximum horsepower the 1.0 can take. With it being such a small block, I wouldn't dare go past that as it would probably lead to overheating, gaskets could potentially wear out faster, you might warp the head, cracks could form on the head and ultimately anyone of those could lead to complete engine failure. Also probably cooling and oil circulation won't be enough to sustain the increased horsepower. So you would probably need a larger radiator, bigger hoses, etc. The engine is rated for 125 hp, but Ford did supercharge it to 140 hp in the Fiesta Red Edition and Black Edition, as well as the Focus ST-Line.
So if it remains stock (original parts) like the catalyst after tuning, should it be harmful for the engine?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You should ask Rica tuning also. The car will have much difference at 140-145hp.
I'll look into them. I liked what the tune I had produced before the power delivery got jerky.

So if it remains stock (original parts) like the catalyst after tuning, should it be harmful for the engine?
The stock catalyst will be fine even after tuning. Ford never added a supercharger to our engine and just adjusted the factory tuning to get 140hp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts