Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my Focus used. It has a 2.0 zetec engine. I noticed that my coolant is below the minimum line. There is still a lot in there, but since it is below the line I figured I should fill it up.

The color of the coolant is orange, so I looked in my owner's manual to see what type it is. The owner's manual says my car should either have green or gold coolant. It also says in bold "Do not mix Orange Coolant with factory coolant etc". I bought the car used four months ago and it came with orange coolant.

So now I'm wondering if I should have the coolant flushed and stick with green or gold, or just continue using the orange coolant. I went to the Ford Dealership near me and told them I had orange coolant in my Focus and he didn't make any big deal about it and I bought some Motorcraft Extended Life Orange coolant [even though the bottle says it is for the Mercury Cougar and Ford Electric vehicles]. I asked him if that was okay and he said yes.

So...to summarize.

Should I just keep using the orange coolant?

or

Should I get the coolant flushed and use the brands mentioned in the owner's manual?

/confused.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Either/Or....

If the dealership said it's fine to use the Orange stuff, stick with it.

If it feels better to go and do a flush, do that and go back to green, it's not going to harm anything but your wallet to flush it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
now, to answer your question....

running orange is fine, BUT you need to be sure that the coolant that's in there is completely orange and not mixed with green. mix the orange stuff with the green stuff and you get sludge!

hopefully, whoever owned the car before you had the coolant flushed before they made the switch. to be safe, i would flush it anyway and then just run whatever you want. the orange stuff is supposed to have better cooling properties.

Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
^^^like they said...ive seen the orange extended life coolant mixed with standard coolant and they end up causing overheating..if your car is not overheating i wouldnt worry..but since it is used and you need peace of mind..buy a can of radiator flush..pour it in ..run it for 20min..drain it out and flush with fresh water..and fill back up with orange crap..i wouldnt go with green since orange is in their now incase some gets left behind...plus the orange is the longest lasting coolant you can buy..100,000 mile crap..hope that helps ...let us know what u end up doin mikey

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Read the bottle, nearly ALL new orange antifreeze says right on the front that it is compatible for mixing with any other types. orange, green, yellow or whatever. If you're really concerned with it, flush it out and put in just one type. I mix orange with green every day at work, if it says its ok on the bottle, its ok. good luck

g

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
mr.squatch said:
Read the bottle, nearly ALL new orange antifreeze says right on the front that it is compatible for mixing with any other types. orange, green, yellow or whatever. If you're really concerned with it, flush it out and put in just one type. I mix orange with green every day at work, if it says its ok on the bottle, its ok. good luck

g
read the bottle closer. you can mix it with just about any other color BUT GREEN! talk to any mechanic, esp. one who works at a dealer w/ cars that use the newer coolants. green+anything other than green = sludge!

Mike

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bottle says on front "compatible to mix with any other antifreeze on the market." Some may not, some of the newer products do. Read your products, or just flush and fill. Never hurts to flush and fill.

g

·
Registered
919 Posts
I replaced mine with green today, I just made sue I flushed it all out untill water ran clear. May car runs fine and does not over heat.

·
Registered
571 Posts
if youre worried about overheating because of the orange stuff or whatever just add some redline water wetter, i think when i change mine im just gonna run water wetter and water, no antifreeze, i live in ca, anyone see any problems running that? it said on the water wetter site that that works better than water, water wetter and coolant

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
water wetter with just water works pretty well, it really doesn't lower temps, but it does take longer to get hot. Supposedly it creates a glycol mix, so it's safe for the engine rust-wise. I run it all summer. I tried the royal purple this year, like it a lot better. Any type works best with just water, no a/f, not even just a little bit. So you gotta flush out thoroughly with the engine running. I put in two royal purples and pure water. Works great.

g

·
Registered
162 Posts
GET RID OF THE ORANGE COOLANT. I work at a shop and we tell everyone that. The brand is dex-cool and it is bad because its more prone to electrolosis then green glycole based coolant.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
get a gauge, your car runs at whatever your thermostat puts it at. If your car runs at 210 all the time, you put in redline and water, it'll still run at 210, but it won't get hot over that as fast. redline also makes a fuel additive that says on the label "guaranteed to lower your et's 3 tenths."

g

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
"it increases your cars cooling system's ability to cool itself" that's what the guy says, and it is true. But your car will still run at the same temp. It will work more efficiently, and cool itself more efficiently, but the operating temps stay the same.

g

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I dunno, I noticed temp variations are a lot slower with the royal purple, like when i sit in traffic, it takes a lot longer to get hot than with 50/50 or with the water wetter. but I'm always changing something so I can't say for sure if it's just the coolant additive.

g

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
have a bottle of water wetter in front of me now. it says, quote "less than 50% antifreeze provides further improvement in temperature reduction, but at least 15% antifreeze should be used in street vehicles. Redline water wetter provides excellent corrosion protection for modern cast iron, aluminum, and brass systems. can be used with distilled or tap water"

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts