Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am about to install the Procharger on the Focus and had a question about raising the boost. It came with the 10psi pulley and I have been looking for the best way to up the boost to 14psi.

I don't have as much experience with the Focus as I do with the Cobra or Lightning....but I don't think it is as easy as changing a lower pulley.

Do they make a 14psi pulley for the blower itself? Are there underdrive pulleys that would help me accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.!!

Ken

·
Registered
891 Posts
u dont want to get an underdrive pully cause then you will loose boost cause you underdriving the supercharger. If you cant find a smaller pulley for the kit then get the overdrive pulley from CFM.

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
CFM makes a 5.7" crank pulley that will give you 15psi with the blower's 2.55" pulley.

I have a custom 5.9" Crank pulley that will give you about 20psi witht he blower's 2.55" pulley.

Let me know if you want it. Or if you want both. Willing to let both go for $300, free shipping.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
yes they make different size pulleys, but i don't know if they tested different size pulley for the focus kit to see what kinda of psi they make. if you get a new pulley from procharger, it will cost about 90 bucks, without shipping.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I think anything over 12 psi on PC for the focus is more than the blower can handle. Not to sure on that but I would call ATI and ask them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More Questions.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really do appreaciate it!!!

Some more questions...

Is the 10psi pulley = to the 2.55" you guys reference?

What is the best way to go for more boost, smaller pulley on the charger or get a new crank pulley to up the boost.

Which is best to reduce belt slippage?

How hard to change the crank pully vs. charger pulley?

Again, thanks so much for your help, trying to get this project done before track season [hihi]

Ken

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CFM makes a 5.7" crank pulley that will give you 15psi with the blower's 2.55" pulley.

I have a custom 5.9" Crank pulley that will give you about 20psi witht he blower's 2.55" pulley.

Let me know if you want it. Or if you want both. Willing to let both go for $300, free shipping.
Thanks for the offer, and I may be interested... I will let you know.

Still looking at best options..
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I think anything over 12 psi on PC for the focus is more than the blower can handle. Not to sure on that but I would call ATI and ask them.
No the Procharger I believe isn't out it's efficiency till like over 20, I could be wrong though but I know you can get a 15psi pulley for it. You may be thinking of the Jackson Racing kit cause that's about right.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I really do appreaciate it!!!

Some more questions...

What is the best way to go for more boost, smaller pulley on the charger or get a new crank pulley to up the boost.

Which is best to reduce belt slippage?

How hard to change the crank pully vs. charger pulley?

Again, thanks so much for your help, trying to get this project done before track season [hihi]

Ken
I can't say much for how a Focus S/C is setup, but I can give you a good idea from what I did to my Lightning.

1. Considering that the focus is FWD and the crank pulley isn't as easy to access I would say go as far as you can before going to a crank pulley. IMO crank pulley is the first pulley I would change out on a RWD engine because it is easier to access.

2. Belt slippage is one of the most common enemies of the S/C. Best scenario I can give you is when I swapped my Stock blower for a Kenne Bell and. I was slipping to the point of making 0 boost. I traded my belt out for a Gatorback and got twin 90mm Idler Pullies. Those three items are God's gift to the DD Blower.

So in short, get larger idler pullies, this is where the belt makes a "V" shape before reaching the blower pulley. There should be two pulley's there. They shouldn't be driving anything on the belt, they are there only to route the belt.

3. This question was answered in my 1st answer.

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
The 5.7" Crank pulley with the 2.55" Blower Pulley will put the SC at around 76000rpms +/- some @ 7200rpms on the engine.

At 5.9", you have very little room before you over rev your SC going past 7200rpms on the engine.

Your best bet is to get the smallest blower pulley and 5.7" crank pulley.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not having the blower handy at this time, is the 2.55" = 10psi if so, that is the way i bought the kit.

And if this is correct, and I go with the 5.7 crank, does anyone know the proper belt size I would need?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
348 Posts
I believe it will need to be like .5 or 1in longer than the one you're using now. When I was running the PC I got several belts when I upgraded the crank pulley to cover the anticipated range. Parts store took them back with no problem.

The big problem was that the belt didn't want to stay in the groove, but slippage was still minimal to nonexistant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, great site.

One more question I have....

What is the best plug to use for FI?

AZFS22C ??????

And if so, what gap do I go with?

Blower install this week[cheers] [cheers]

Thanks again all,

Ken

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
No Motorcraft # 463's

They have an AZF# that I can't remember.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
O and I gap to 40 and if needed go down from there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Motorcraft # 463's

They have an AZF# that I can't remember.
I believe the part number I ref above is equall to the 463 you speak of.

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Also, any belt gurus in here?

What belt do I need for the 10psi 2.55" pulley and 5.7 crank pulley on my Procharger set up?

Thanks again for all the help..

Ken

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
101.5 is what you will need.
Thanks man, and thanks to all who have helped. I will get the numbers up when we are up and running.

Ken

[cheers] [cheers]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts