Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From personal experince with SRI is that its great in the morning when the air is cool however when the day starts to warm up the performance is short lived. I live in California and the air here is pretty warm. As you may already know warm air rises and having the intake at the top of the engine will only cause warm/hot air inside the intake. Cold Air is usually closer towards the ground. Why you think the stock air intake is so close to the ground. Even with the heat shield it will provide minimum protection from the hot air.

I was looking the at KN typhoon intake i know it cost about 280. But if you can buy the filter part number RX-4990 from kragen for about $75, and make a plastic pipe using pvc from the local garden store. Im sure you will only spend about 100 total. And not worry about hot air.

The point is more air is not good if you are sucking hot air.
i will be posting how to's using the KN typhoon intake as a blueprint.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
First, if you use PVC you will kill your engine. When hot the PVC lets off a gas thats harmful to the engine.

Second, I had a SRI and live in alabama. I never had any issue with heat soak, if its THAT bad you could get a carbon fiber hood with a vent that will let a constant exchange of air through the engine bay. So you can spend more money on a second intake OR get a C/F hood and have function with style.

Also the evo style hood has a nice little vent right on top of where the SRI sits.

Edit nevermind I see we are in the Dura forum the evo hood is not avaiable for us yet. If you are decently mechanicly inclined it should not be too hard to setup a duct system for a little ram air action.

But lastly if you are wanting more power, more air is ALWAYS good.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah Heat soak is not really a problem unless your running with boost. Focusin is correct that pvc will damage your motor. Oh and one last thing, ever hear of Compyright laws? Taking the designs for an intake and making your own is bullshit if i must say so myself. Sorry, im a design student and i just feel that its really crappy. Stop being a cheap ass and buy an intake instead of ghetto rigging one.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
do i count as a cheapass if i take the bottom part of my intake after the maf off and put on a generic filter on the end of the tube..?

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
domesticdisturbance said:
Yeah Heat soak is not really a problem unless your running with boost. Focusin is correct that pvc will damage your motor. Oh and one last thing, ever hear of Compyright laws? Taking the designs for an intake and making your own is bullshit if i must say so myself. Sorry, im a design student and i just feel that its really crappy. Stop being a cheap ass and buy an intake instead of ghetto rigging one.

Dude, he's making it for himself. If he was mass producing these things and making money off of it, then yeah, it's copyright infringment. Design students take cues off of other things when you come up with an idea to improve it right? [:eek:)]

·
Registered
859 Posts
InfraRedHB said:
Dude, he's making it for himself. If he was mass producing these things and making money off of it, then yeah, it's copyright infringment. Design students take cues off of other things when you come up with an idea to improve it right? [:eek:)]
Somewhat of an oversimplification, but:

Mechanical Design = Patent
Written Copy (words) = Copyright

I doubt there are any patents on the typical CAI -- just look how similar they all are.

Now if he started selling his own brand of CAI but included a photocopy of the K&N install instructions that would be a copyright violation.

·
2,272 Posts
Down there the pvc wont get hot enough to release those gasses. The pipe down at the bottom is always cool to the touch. I'm nor even sure that it would get hot enough at the top, because mine never gets really hot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Putting a filter on is not the same thing as making an intake designed off of an existing one. From the sounds of it, seems like we have a whole tribe of cheapasses on here.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Just buy a MM or FC intake and call it a day. With a splash shield you don't even need to think twice about hydrolocking anything.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chill out.

Some of you people need to chill out. Jezz...copyright laws...gawdamit??!! I just wanted to give my opinion..I had a SRI in in CALIFORNIA the Air is HOT! It does cause bogging/lag at times. As for PVC melting YEA RIGHT! most of the engine has similar plastics material and i dont see gases. So what if im like to save money, call me a cheap butt... but wasnt that the point of buying a Ford Focus.<Econo Car>
Stop being critical...the forums are about being creative and helping others. All i got for trying to helpful was:: "you ghetto cheapass" and basic negative input.
If I wanted to spend 250 for CAI I would. But i rather have the satisfation of doing it myself. As a desinger you never create you build upon the ideas of others. Just like all things in life nothing is destroyed or created it just evolves to something better or worse.

More AIR is NOT good when is it is >>>hot air<<<. cold air is denser thus better combustion efficiency.

Only trying to be helpful guys.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Your pretty cool guy... all these people are talking crap to u and u didn't flame back you just stated your opinion. I think building your own intake is cool and you should do it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As long as he is not selling it, he can make whatever the hell he wants to for HIS car, and there is nothing wrong with saving some money, after college, you will find that out

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^my dad makes shit for his car all the time...intakes, exhaust piping, brackets.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I doubt anyone that makes intakes is likely to go after you for patent infringement because you fabed your own intake. Most of the SRI look identical anyway, so I seriously doubt that anyone has a patent on the design.

Now if you made one and then tried to pass it off as someone else's part, then you might run into some legal issues. Especially if you made more than one and then tried to sell them.

If you want to fab your own, go for it. Nothing wrong with that. That's been part of hot rodding cars since day one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
hey don't worry abot making your own cai intak i did it and it only cost 100 with k&n cone filter. and i wasn't doing it to be cheap i was doing it to see if it could be done. check my cardomain page and see what i did. i also rotated the splash guard so that the radaitor is not blowing into the filter

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not much of a "design student" if he doesn’t have enough faith in his work to produce it!

Trust me your own "custom" intake is THE most cost effective bolt on you can do.
My "Stealth CAI" makes 6 horsepower at $4.16 per HP! Sure you can get a "professional" CAI such as the Steeda CAI and your 6.3 horsepower will cost you $36.34 per HP.
You do the math.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Re: chill out.

duo325 said:
As for PVC melting YEA RIGHT! most of the engine has similar plastics material and i dont see gases.
Well THATS b/c the plastics in the motor ARE NOT PVC, its a STRONGER heat resistant plastic.

If you want to put it at the end of the tube, like level with the bumper or lower it should be fine as stated. Putting it in your engine bay is WILL CAUSE GASSES to be puled through the intake system and destroy your motor.

I realy dont care if you listen to me its not my car, but take some advise from a few people who know.

Also just ignore the crap about the Patent/copyright, as long as you dont try to mass produce anything there is no law against fabbing up something for yourself.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Putting a filter on is not the same thing as making an intake designed off of an existing one. From the sounds of it, seems like we have a whole tribe of cheapasses on here.

ahhh, I thought we got rid of Focus Mike....[:p]

·
Registered
622 Posts
I say respect your car, and don't Mickey Mouse or MacGyver something together. Get the K&N Typhoon, I have it and it's great. K&N is the best, why do you think everyone uses they're filters on other companies CAI's? It's pricey, but well worth it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts