Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
So effing true. No one seems to realize that the mentality of the ordinary person is to complain if there's an issue, and to just enjoy the car if there isn't...

This Forum is but a FRACTION of 2012 Focus owners... I absolutely LOVE my car and haven't had any issues with it, and if there were any, they were small MFT related glitches, similar to those found with all of my other tech devices, like my computer, my iPod, my iPhone, etc. and nothing to cry about.

Thank you for this thread, it just made my day!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Face it, if every car was bad or even 20% were bad, these forums would be alot more busy, people who have problems, seek out solutions online and complain online, this forum is the most popular for the FF so this is where they end up, and i dont blame them, I'd be here too if i just bought one and was having problems. Ppl need to get a clue, im sure it's a great car

·
Registered
472 Posts

*science not guaranteed

A HUMOUROUS OBSERVATION
Hahahahahahahaa so true. While I sympathize with the guys having issues, and can only hope I don't experience them, the chart is a realistic view of what is really going on. Like most everything else when you build 250,000 or so of anything .. there are going to be a few with issues.

When I worked for Dell Server Engineering we had customers all the time saying they were going to move to compaq or wherever. If you looked at our call logs or the forums you would thing that Dell couldn't make a decent server. but in reality our "IFIR" rate was less than 2% almost across the board. IFIR stands for Initial Field Incident Rate (if I remember correctly LOL it was like 9 years ago)

The focus is likely along the same lines

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hahahahahahahaa so true. While I sympathize with the guys having issues, and can only hope I don't experience them, the chart is a realistic view of what is really going on. Like most everything else when you build 250,000 or so of anything .. there are going to be a few with issues.

When I worked for Dell Server Engineering we had customers all the time saying they were going to move to compaq or wherever. If you looked at our call logs or the forums you would thing that Dell couldn't make a decent server. but in reality our "IFIR" rate was less than 2% almost across the board. IFIR stands for Initial Field Incident Rate (if I remember correctly LOL it was like 9 years ago)

The focus is likely along the same lines
Another comparison would be all the people who criticized the iPhone 4 for dropping calls because of the "antenna" issues. Apple reported that based on the amount of sales of the iPhone 4 and the amount of complaints they received, it was less than 1% who complained, and they still offered a free case anyway.

People are ridiculous. They think that because 50 people on a forum have some issues out of tens of thousands of cars sold there's some platform wide issue and the car is garbage.

·
Registered
781 Posts
there are plenty of people out there in the world who have no idea this forum even exists.. maybe your chart should be relabeled with red on the left "people who think this forum represents focus owners in the world" and on the right "actual number of users vs. rest of world population who don't use these forums".. [rofl]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
there are plenty of people out there in the world who have no idea this forum even exists.. maybe your chart should be relabeled with red on the left "people who think this forum represents focus owners in the world" and on the right "actual number of users vs. rest of world population who don't use these forums".. [rofl]
Agreed. And to that effect, I'm sure there are several of those who don't know of this forum who have the issues as well. Issues as bad as this forum makes them out to be would definitely merit complaints, but the fact that we haven't heard a thing from the media aside from the MFT issues leads me to believe that the majority of people seem to be just fine with their cars. If these problems were present on all or a large percentage of new Foci, I think we'd be hearing a lot more about it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
really? do you think Ford would admit it to the public? come on.

the amount of Focus cars with MFT issues is somewhere between 1 and the number of of Focus cars with MFT. as far as I am concerned, my car is having issues, and that is 1 too many cars for me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
the amount of Focus cars with MFT issues is somewhere between 1 and the number of of Focus cars with MFT. as far as I am concerned, my car is having issues, and that is 1 too many cars for me.
1 is 1 too many for everyone having problems. and we are not dismissing your issues or your disappointment. Hell I may have issues when I pick my car up in Oct. All we are saying is keep a realistic view of the problem, and we are mainly saying it to people who may see this and decide to not buy a focus because of what they read here. (at least I am lol).

there are lots of folks with issues with MFT here but they are still most likely a minority of MFT owners, because whether Ford wants to admit it or not the press would be all over this like white on rice. but they don't seem to be. there are also a fair number of people here that have no issues with MFT, or have had their MFT issues cleared up. so it is pretty obvious that not every one is included in the problem pool.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Agreed 110%!!! I LOVE my Kona Blue SEL, And there has only been two issues with the ENTIRE car. 1. Sync USB wouldn't work properly, Easy and very minor fix. 2. The alignment was off when I got it. And still is off just a tad bit. Will be fixed. People Don't seem to get it that ANY new car model design will have bugs. Regardless of what the manufacturer does to prevent it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Who said anything about Ford admitting it? I was talking about the media. Ford != the media. Ford wouldn't waste time or money going public and admitting that, instead they'd be using the time and money to fix the problem. It's not like they have nothing to lose over the MFT issues. They have a lot to lose and the system being implemented in so many new vehicles of theirs was a risk to begin with. When things go wrong the media isn't nice. The iPhone issue got blown out of proportion by the media, even though I know several people never had issues, myself included and I bought my iPhone 4 the day it came out.

Idk where you got the idea I was talking about Ford...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I realize that I am one of the lucky few that have the trans shudder issue, It is not that there is a issue with it but rather Ford's take on customer service. I understand that there can and will be issues with a new gen of vehicle. I also believe that if we are only 1% then Ford should do what it takes to make that 1% group happy that is encountering a issue. I am sure there is going to be the Ford is great group and chances are they have not had any issues, But let me ask this. If you had a shudder when taking off and the car falls flat on it's face when leaving a stop would you be a little upset? Would you want Ford to fix the issue?

So we hear of they are using new technology but it was used in at least a prior year in the European market as well as the Fiesta to my understanding. So has there been a little time to work out the bugs, I would think so. I also see alot of the happy customers are running the manual 5 speed, My only issue to date is the trans and flat spot off idle when pulling away from a stop sign.

Montana

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I realize that I am one of the lucky few that have the trans shudder issue, It is not that there is a issue with it but rather Ford's take on customer service. I understand that there can and will be issues with a new gen of vehicle. I also believe that if we are only 1% then Ford should do what it takes to make that 1% group happy that is encountering a issue. I am sure there is going to be the Ford is great group and chances are they have not had any issues, But let me ask this. If you had a shudder when taking off and the car falls flat on it's face when leaving a stop would you be a little upset? Would you want Ford to fix the issue?

So we hear of they are using new technology but it was used in at least a prior year in the European market as well as the Fiesta to my understanding. So has there been a little time to work out the bugs, I would think so. I also see alot of the happy customers are running the manual 5 speed, My only issue to date is the trans and flat spot off idle when pulling away from a stop sign.

Montana
I thought I had the trans shudder issue and Ford diagnosed the issue and came back negative. Never had the car fall flat on it's face from a stop, you just have to press the gas a little more in this car than other automatics. It's geared to shift very low for fuel economy and as such we don't necessarily get the response the engine is capable of. Put it in S mode when you drive around the city or feel like driving a little spirited, wakes the car up a bit keeping it geared differently.

I just think it's a quirk of the PowerShift cause it's an automated manual and not a traditional automatic. So far I've felt some shudders and shakes similar to my Mazdaspeed 3 with it's 6-speed manual, but I haven't had any issues while driving so I just ignore it, if it gets worse than I'll take it back again.

·
Registered
781 Posts
um. the press was over it. plenty of reviews knocked MFT, and the JDP ratings dropped Ford from 5 to 23, also covered by the press.. you want them to harp on it every day? they have better things to do and plenty of other cars out there to review. your world might focus (attention) on the Focus (car) and these forums, but there's a lot more going on out there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought I had the trans shudder issue and Ford diagnosed the issue and came back negative. Never had the car fall flat on it's face from a stop, you just have to press the gas a little more in this car than other automatics. It's geared to shift very low for fuel economy and as such we don't necessarily get the response the engine is capable of. Put it in S mode when you drive around the city or feel like driving a little spirited, wakes the car up a bit keeping it geared differently.

I just think it's a quirk of the PowerShift cause it's an automated manual and not a traditional automatic. So far I've felt some shudders and shakes similar to my Mazdaspeed 3 with it's 6-speed manual, but I haven't had any issues while driving so I just ignore it, if it gets worse than I'll take it back again.
I did drive it around using the S mode and it was identical out of the hole as the D mode, The flat spot issue is right off idle and before it actually has shifted. Sort of like driving a car with a carb with no accelerator pump. I did take it into the Ford dealership and they verified my findings. Corp Ford told them not to touch anything even the though the dealer sided with me.

I understand that this is a economy car and not a performance car and likely the shifting will be early to keep the RPM's down. I must say that once past second the trans it very smooth and nice with the downshift and upshift.

In my past posts it was not meant to read as a bash against the Focus but rather the company. The car has style, excellent handling for what it is and a very nice interior. I am hoping Ford will take care of us 1% and make things right, If that happens the car for what it is and what it cost will be spot on for me.

Montana

·
Registered
157 Posts
i love my 2012 tit, a few minor issues, a few flaws, maybe from the factory or the car hauler, but just want ford to make good on my $27,000 dollar purchase... if it is broke, fix it... my issues is paint chips and 2 dents in odd places.... nothing major...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is fine after a week

I have had my Focus Sterling Grey Metallic Hatch for 1 week and it has been running fantastic. No issues at all. Sync works with my iPhone, Sirrus works, everything works with the MFT. Did not get Nav since $795 was way over what it was worth, no Sun Roof for the same reason.

I have a Titanium, with the Winter Package and the Polished 17 Inch wheels and I am happy as a clam. Rides quiet, fast enough for me and no equipment issues to speak of as of yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did drive it around using the S mode and it was identical out of the hole as the D mode, The flat spot issue is right off idle and before it actually has shifted. Sort of like driving a car with a carb with no accelerator pump. I did take it into the Ford dealership and they verified my findings. Corp Ford told them not to touch anything even the though the dealer sided with me.

I understand that this is a economy car and not a performance car and likely the shifting will be early to keep the RPM's down. I must say that once past second the trans it very smooth and nice with the downshift and upshift.

In my past posts it was not meant to read as a bash against the Focus but rather the company. The car has style, excellent handling for what it is and a very nice interior. I am hoping Ford will take care of us 1% and make things right, If that happens the car for what it is and what it cost will be spot on for me.

Montana
They won't do anything because technically there is nothing wrong with it.

I suspect every Focus DCT has this same behaviour, but some people just don't notice it because of where they drive or the style of their driving.

And I don't notice it most of the time either. But when I do notice it, it's at a very bad time, lol.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
um. the press was over it. plenty of reviews knocked MFT, and the JDP ratings dropped Ford from 5 to 23, also covered by the press.. you want them to harp on it every day? they have better things to do and plenty of other cars out there to review. your world might focus (attention) on the Focus (car) and these forums, but there's a lot more going on out there.
This doesn't only apply to MFT, that's not what this thread is about. The press would have been a lot more adamant about making sure the Focus was criticized if so many people had issues with MFT, the transmission, misaligned body panels, etc.

MFT is only one part of the equation, and for JDPaA to knock them down over what is merely an OPTION is a ridiculous move on their part, and entirely unfair. You don't HAVE to buy the MFT equipped Focus, and therefor criticizing the car so harshly over an option is really a stupid thing to gripe about, if it's that bad, don't buy it, get the standard radio, or the standard MyFord system.

Most other reviewers criticized the MFT but not against the whole car, they mention almost unanimously that the Focus is an amazing car and a solid entry in the segment, but the MFT needs some work.

Please don't come at me without doing your homework first.

EDIT: press also isn't limited to automotive reviews. If the car was running rampant with issues like so many on this Forum preach, it would be covered on major news networks as well, as a heads up. Much like Toyota was covered when they had issues with their cars failing to stop, and much like when other cars have major issues and need recalls. Transmission issues, if they were truly issues, wouldn't be taken lightly.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts