Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had anyone done this to their Focus? I never use mine, and I'd like to remove it, after which I'd like to change the headliner to a non-moon roof one. If this has already been done, or if you'd recommend it be done professionally, please let me know that, too. Thank you!

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
You won't be 'removing' that, it involves structural members in the roof. You'd have to cut roof off and reweld in another. You COULD likely change the headliner but if it still looks good with what you got, why mess with it?

This seems to be one of the common cases of head getting in the way of head. Simply don't use it but leave it in place.

Any intelligent professional is going to say the same then take you to the cleaners for mega$$$$$ if you still insist.

You are also lowering the value of the car and if they find out you rewelded roof you will NEVER sell it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering it's an 03, I wouldn't think it'd be that much in terms of devaluation. What in regards to the structure would change? Obviously the hardware would be removed, however what's the problem beyond that? Apologies if that sounds silly.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If I recall, the is a cross-member going through that section on the vehicles without a moon roof. I could be wrong though. It's been a while since my headliner was out.

There is no moon roof delete. You either have to have a shop do it or you can. The only way is to weld a sheet back in and hope it doesn't warp the roof. Or replace the whole top.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Beyond lowering the value of the car, to do it right would probably cost more than the current car is worth. Just sell it if you don't want a sunroof for some reason.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
If you intend to leave the panel in place much simpler but simply quit using it, pull the plug to the switch, or fuse. Insisting on removing just the hardware only exposes obsessive compulsive issues.

'If I recall, the(re) is a cross-member going through that section on the vehicles without a moon roof.'

YES. Ford builds rollover protection into the cars and altering that roof goes toward legal liability if the car then rolls on accident later to injure somebody, it will then likely be your fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts