Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, im new to FF and i was looking for some help... I own a 2003 SVT with about 72k miles on it.... I am looking for upgrades... i have driven upwards of 450 hp so i have a little experience with bigger engines, compared to my car. i have a sprecte intake filter cause i wanted something at the time, but getting a better intake kit eventually, also i plan on upgrading the Spark plugs/Wires (which would be best)... I like NA but I'm looking in to FI also... im just not able to drop $3500 right this second, but sooner than later, so what would be some good mods around $500.

What i want most is better acceleration and torque (without goin FI immediately) i don't "need" top end speed (which is always nice) but i just want a better sounding (HFC or ORP) and overall faster car... I can do some mods myself but if it takes a lot of taking apart and reassembling i would rather have professional help.

also i believe my clutch may be going out... anyway to tell?

i've done some research but i always like extra help!!

(p.s. im not looking to race)

Thanks for all the help!!

"Saladbar" [gunfire]

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Welcome. [welcome]

You can tell your clutch is going when the car is revving but it takes a while for the acceleration to catch up with the engine. The clutch engagement will also be near the top of the clutch petal. At least that's how I knew my clutch was going before the dealer but a new one in before I bought it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey everyone, im new to FF and i was looking for some help... I own a 2003 SVT with about 72k miles on it.... I am looking for upgrades... i have driven upwards of 450 hp so i have a little experience with bigger engines, compared to my car. i have a sprecte intake filter cause i wanted something at the time, but getting a better intake kit eventually, also i plan on upgrading the Spark plugs/Wires (which would be best)... I like NA but I'm looking in to FI also... im just not able to drop $3500 right this second, but sooner than later, so what would be some good mods around $500.

What i want most is better acceleration and torque (without goin FI immediately) i don't "need" top end speed (which is always nice) but i just want a better sounding (HFC or ORP) and overall faster car... I can do some mods myself but if it takes a lot of taking apart and reassembling i would rather have professional help.

also i believe my clutch may be going out... anyway to tell?

i've done some research but i always like extra help!!

(p.s. im not looking to race)

Thanks for all the help!!

"Saladbar" [gunfire]
A TB would give you better acceleration or feel like it with better throttle control, I hear tom's tune is a great way to gain the most power with any one single thing, beside induction. I don't know about the gears in a Foci or what they're set at but if you have experince with bigger engine IE Muscle cars you could get a bigger Front end? on the foci I'm not sure if this is correct termalogly? But bigger gears will give you less hp top end more torq low end.

The guy above me is correct a clutch slipping would be you letting off the clutch being in gear and pressing the gas and just RPMS are reving and no acceleration, also you should notice a SMELL, if you have any of these signs fix it now before you might have to resurface or replace your fly wheel which is just more money =*( and replace everything else also like your ToB and stuff just buy a kit.

A Tune, TB, Gears will give you the most noticeable upgrades, I could be wrong and others might know for sure what is the best I'm a muscle guy that buying a 03SVT next tuesday and done alot of searching also, but engines are engines NA still makes power by air/fuel, also porting heads and intake manifold would be options but I don't know how much meat they have.. and I Still think the other three things would give you more noticeable... performance.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I say toms tune and orp
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
welcome to the forums!

your best bet right now is to get a tune. A proper tune will really change the feel of your car for the better.

Honestly, in terms of power, there really is no alternative to FI. Going with a turbo is the only real way to make big power with the focus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the diablosport predator turner?? A toms tune ( where to get this done ) or the sct xcabilator???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing I have been looking in too is a full exaust system, flex pipe, ORP, and or a full cat back... Any opinions? Cause I understand a ORP takes out a cat, but can I still get a full cat back, and use an ORP?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Another thing I have been looking in too is a full exaust system, flex pipe, ORP, and or a full cat back... Any opinions? Cause I understand a ORP takes out a cat, but can I still get a full cat back, and use an ORP?
Yes... There are 3 "pieces" of the exhaust... The cat, the flex pipe, and the cat-back.. Best to match all the pieces up in size.. So, if you wanted a 2.5" cat back, go ahead and get a 2.5" ORP (or high flow cat) and 2.5" flex pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I though but ok... Is their anyone besides Borla who makes a 2.5? Cause I've found a 2.5 flex and ORP/hfc but only Borla with the 2.5 and it's expensive.... Just for all at once I guess. Can u fit a 2.25 on a 2.5 ORP?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Trubendz (mandrelbendexhaust) makes a 2.5" and 3" cat back... 2.5" 304SS cat back with muffler and resonator is $400 I believe.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
If you want to modify the exhaust, just swap out the cat with a HFC or ORP, that's where most of the gains are anyway.

And if I were to do it all over again, I would just get a blower and a tune and pretty much be done. I wouldn't go too crazy with all the little bolt ons that really don't do much for power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a blower??? not sure what you referring too...

·
Registered
257 Posts
He means a supercharger, they are often referred to as blowers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts