Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the 1st thing to mod on the new st? Who's going to do what? A tune, w/ more boost? Lower it? add a bbk? Exhaust- yeah. A torsen for sure. How 'bout turning the volume down on the sound tube & turning the exhaust note up? Anyone w/ any input? Come on guys you know you want to mod the new st.

·
Registered
422 Posts
first thing will be getting wheels i like

then hoping my buddy at SCT will be able to tune her

then... exhaust pending if i like how it sounds, since it exhaust was engineered to have a special sound...?

other than that... nothing till all the other underhood bolt ons and such pop out

·
Registered
60 Posts
Open air intake, short throw shifter, tint as soon as I can get 'er done.

I plan to see what Ford Racing will sell from the ST-R that fits well on the ST (hood pins/exhaust/carbon fiber hood).

In a silly way, I want to look at getting a shark mouth in plastic tape going around the front grill area (maybe with magnets if there is enough metal).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shark mouth airbrushed on.

Open air intake, short throw shifter, tint as soon as I can get 'er done.

I plan to see what Ford Racing will sell from the ST-R that fits well on the ST (hood pins/exhaust/carbon fiber hood).

In a silly way, I want to look at getting a shark mouth in plastic tape going around the front grill area (maybe with magnets if there is enough metal).
That sounds awesome. I'd airbrush it on for sure. All the R model parts are a given for sure. That reminds me of the shark like teeth on the pop up scoops on the '71-'72 Road Runners.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That sounds awesome. I'd airbrush it on for sure. All the R model parts are a given for sure. That reminds me of the shark like teeth on the pop up scoops on the '71-'72 Road Runners.
If I was 20 years younger I might think about painting it on. Rather have something I could peel off.

I need to mess with photoshop, but the front grill on the ST just looks like it needs some dressing. Might be a neat theme to do a silver ST w/shark teeth and Army aviation markings and air brushed rivits...

If I get a silver ST I plan to get the ST-R BBK rims when I replace the tires. Kicked the idea of having racing strips like the ST-R painted on.

I really like stock looking cars that have sleeper looking mods (never once used after market rims on a vehicle). But one day I want to change things up and the ST will become a daily driver.

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
i may or may not know someone who may or not be planning on dumping it on its nuts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who said the frpp's suspension is god?

i may or may not know someone who may or not be planning on dumping it on its nuts
Just asking you= Who said frpp suspension is god? I like my Eibach sportline system & I also like the H&R sport cup kit too.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
what is usually acceptable and not void warranty? Exhaust, Intake and see how much Tom can tune out of the ST...

·
FF Affiliate
30,623 Posts
I wouldnt touch the ST till tuning software comes out , Question is will it come out

The M3 has the same issue , there is places that claim to tune the M3 but its a band-aid at best , there is no proper tuning for the M3 , the ST is basicly the M3 in a Focus , will be interesting to see what happens

Me , I am going to wait for the RS , if no tuning is out by then I wont buy it

Ford has the bility to release tuning for these cars , it would be worth millons if not billons to Ford to sell something like the SCT PRP to customers wanting to tune there cars , release the software by VIN # they Ford knows to void your warranty if still under warranty
I have always felt is stupid that Ford sells parts (all manufactors ) and dont have a way to tune the cars for the parts added

Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldnt touch the ST till tuning software comes out , Question is will it come out

The M3 has the same issue , there is places that claim to tune the M3 but its a band-aid at best , there is no proper tuning for the M3 , the ST is basicly the M3 in a Focus , will be interesting to see what happens

Ford has the bility to release tuning for these cars , it would be worth millons if not billons to Ford to sell something like the SCT PRP to customers wanting to tune there cars , release the software by VIN # they Ford knows to void your warranty if still under warranty
I have always felt is stupid that Ford sells parts (all manufactors ) and dont have a way to tune the cars for the parts added

Tom
100% get that ^^^^^. As far as M3 are you refuring to the Mazda speed3 or BMW's M3? Sorry. I do know Bmw is a real bitch to tune. I know one place in Redmond, wa. thou. RS is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Cobb will be working on cracking the ECU shortly. A few of the employees are picking up an ST and the shop is as well.

For mods after having driven one, short throw shifter, lower motor mount (MS3 mount IIRC is the same) and K&N drop-in filter.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mazda speed 3

Tom
Isn't the motor in the Focus different than the mzr in the mazda? Or do they use the bottom end of the mzr & uses a head w/ the exhaust manifold integral w/ the head, as the intake is to the ISB Cummins motor? I'm not familiar w/ the new D-tech motors. Or is this a new Ford designed motor? Could you tell us about it? Is the intake part of the head for faster turbo spool up? Or emmissions? Or both? And maybe someone can carve off the manifold & come up w/ a great equal lenght piece, & that opens up the door for different turbos too.

·
Registered
714 Posts
...the intake part of the head for faster turbo spool up? Or emmissions? Or both?
I believe it's the exhaust manifold that integrated with the head.
Interesting bit of heat exchange.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe it's the exhaust manifold that integrated with the head.
>>>>>Interesting bit of heat exchange.
<<<<

Thats right^^^ Thats what I said in my 1st sentence. Sure is like you said. Wonder how the lower end is as far as similar to the mzr motors. I'd say that for emmisions.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Tom
I agree completely. Also, if the RS is not available as a 3-dr hatch I won't be buying one.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Don't the rumors point to a different motor for the RS version though, a 2.3L eco boost that's going in the Mustangs? Guess it would be the same motor family possibly so ECU tuning would be similar?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't the rumors point to a different motor for the RS version though, a 2.3L eco boost that's going in the Mustangs? Guess it would be the same motor family possibly so ECU tuning would be similar?
The ECU tuning is different for the VW FSI and TSI 2.0T engines. I don't know how similar the tuning would be for a 2.0T and 2.3T Foci. The 2.3T in the US is currently a wet dream at best. The lack of aftermarket support for the Focus is awful.

The best news for the Focus, EVER!, would be the Mustang having a related engine. That is where are the aftermarket Ford tuning dollars go. I also worry about tuning the 2.0T Ecoboost because Ford seems to think that the ST is taking the engine as far as it can reasonably go. The superchips ECU tuning in Europe takes the 200 HP version of the 2.0 Ecoboost to 240 HP. I haven't seen any ECU flashes for the Edge/Taurus/Explorer/Escape.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts