Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of motor mods are you all working?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Someday, maybe even soon, I'll buy another focus. Duratec of course

When that happens:
2.5 swap using Massive vct delete
Port matched Godspeed Cossie knockoff
OBX Header
3" exhaust
Homebrew SRI with heatshield/ ram air tube
Dyno tune

Should be a hell of a lot of fun for not much $$$ (except the tune). Looking for the perfect 03-07 ZX3 or wagon.

Hope this counts lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a great n/a street grunt package. Like to see you do a wgn.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Recently... steeda intake and shifter, bsd

Immediate future... Exedy clutch/flywheel (have to get in there to replace main seal anyway)

Before snow flies... larger diameter winter tires (ground clearance) and an SCT X4 to recalibrate the speedometer/make up for the power loss of heavier tires.

Next year... Stealth exhaust (or other modest sounding exhaust) because the factory ST exhaust is in rough shape. Maybe a header if I feel like it. However, I hear they add a LOT of noise.

The focus is just an economy car, so I don't want to get too big of a shopping list for it. I also plan on upgrading to a faster boat (7.4 or 8.1 mercruiser) so most of the "toy" funds will go toward the truck or future boat.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great, When you do get your reflash= get the tune w/ a rear 02 sensor/egr delete. I have a fwerks header w/ a stealth hooked to a Borla system & it sounds very similar to a oem st. It does have a slight header ting, which is to be exspected.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't mind a subtle exhaust note. Just seems like a lot of 4 cylinder cars with aftermarket exhaust systems are obnoxiously loud.

What about you, dude? What goodies or toys are on your wishlist?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4 cylinder motors are what they are, having a 23 w/ a longer stroke then a 20 makes for a deeper exhaust note, compared to a 20. You mentioned boats, my brother & I are done w/ boats, I used to have a ski nautique w/ a 351 & my brother had a Tahee dee sidewider, yrs ago. The car thats at the top of my wish list is a shovel nose '74 trans am SD. Loving the new z-28 & how 'bout the Hellcat? My last car is going to use some fuel more then the foci.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have a steeda sri. But also an fswerks cai in the garage. Might pop that back on one day. Then i didnt wanna spend any more money on it... So yesterday i ordered a stealth exhaust and im sure a tune isnt far off. Haha makes sense right?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a steeda sri. But also an fswerks cai in the garage. Might pop that back on one day. Then i didnt wanna spend any more money on it... So yesterday i ordered a stealth exhaust and im sure a tune isnt far off. Haha makes sense right?
Does the steeda sri fit good in your '04? I'd either add a header or a '05-'07 st mani/cat.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Does the steeda sri fit good in your '04? I'd either add a header or a '05-'07 st mani/cat.
Yep the sri wont work with normal headlights though, no room. With machs it's all good though. I might add a header eventually but i wanna keep it quiet. Just an auto dd.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep the sri wont work with normal headlights though, no room. With machs it's all good though. I might add a header eventually but i wanna keep it quiet. Just an auto dd.
Thats what I thought^^^^^^ Why I asked. You have a stealth coming so get the header coming too. Easier to do all the same time.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Thats what I thought^^^^^^ Why I asked. You have a stealth coming so get the header coming too. Easier to do all the same time.
Haha i might when i get a tune. Maybe my christmas to myself. After that not sure what else to do. Maybe an i/m? Tumble flaps are driving me nuts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As of now since my Focus is my DD I plan to end at mild suspension mods, stage 2 cams, and upgraded valvetrain on this D20. When I work on getting a real job after graduation my Focus will be strictly a project car and I will get another daily driver (probably the new SRT-4 when it arrives or a Mustang V6). At that point I will be doing a Fusion 2.5 swap all motor build with 12:1 comp ratio, 2.3 head, beefed up valvetrain, and stage 3 cams, and all supporting necessary supporting mods to go along with that. I want this to be a mean all motor build. I will save the turbo stuff for the car that came with one from the factory (no offense to those with nasty fast turbo builds of course). [driving]

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I still think it would be fun to pick up another dtec focus, swap a 2.5, add a header and play around with tuning...but stupid CA smog laws make all the fun stuff too much of a pain. So I will just keep the current focus and 2.3 running like new as long as possible for now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still think it would be fun to pick up another dtec focus, swap a 2.5, add a header and play around with tuning...but stupid CA smog laws make all the fun stuff too much of a pain. So I will just keep the current focus and 2.3 running like new as long as possible for now.
If you do a 25, I doult they'd notice the taller height of the motor. Can you run a header w/ a converter? IIRC, if seen a header/converter somewhere. And for your 23 you have now, I'd install a set of stage 1 cams.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Plans. Some over a short time period, others are a long way off:

Tires (tomorrow, getting Goodyear eagle sports)
New wheels (a few years)
2" drop (sooner than later)
Aftermarket full exhaust system, downpipe, headers, and pipe w muffler (a way off...)
CAI (sooner than later)
Full body plasti dip (don't know when/what color)
If possible SVT tranny, if not then 5 speed (quite a ways off)
Stage 1 turbo (last mod)
Dyno tuning (after turbo)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

New wheels (a few years)
Aftermarket full exhaust system, downpipe, headers, and pipe w muffler (a way off...)
CAI (sooner than later)
Stage 1 turbo (last mod)
Sounds like you plopped a lot on your plate. You have a 23= grunt, so pass on the getrag. If a turbo, pass on the header & intake. I'd be doing a 2'' drop & a bsd plug. Add a svt front bumper or paint the one you have. Get a polisher, compounds,polishes & buff you car out.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
That sounds like a great n/a street grunt package. Like to see you do a wgn.
Me too! Seems like a lot of manual wagons were ordered in new england, but just about all of them have rust issues. I dont want to replace rockers

New wheels (a few years)
CAI (sooner than later)
Stage 1 turbo (last mod)
SVT trans uses a different bolt pattern, it wont fit on a duratec.

Grab a mtx75 from a 05+ car. Youll get a 3.82 final drive which will be more lively than the 03-04 3.41. Theres also an oddball 3.56 on some base 08+ cars, so be careful

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. I knew the SVT would be unlikely
Have you checked out Arty's orange cosworth wgn? That could be you. He's selling it. It has a lot of history too.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts